M156 E63 head bolt preventative maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Evening all
As per heading - is this worth doing for peace of mind
Car is Aug 2006 - 35k miles

If it should be done - any idea on cost?

Thanks

For peace of mind i would but i worry lol.

Cost no idea, got tobe cheaper than a new engine or top end.

This thread by John (Developer) back in 2014 covers a lot of this head bolt business. Well worth a read for any earlier M156 owners with concerns.
Costs are there too, but inflation from 2014 has probably seen the price rise substantially.

For peace of mind i would but i worry lol.

Cost no idea, got tobe cheaper than a new engine or top end.

I'm a worrier too - hope I don't need to be - I'll check what to look out for!

I’d be interested to know if you do decide to go down the prevent measures route, or at least look at the options. I’ve seen a few E63’s I’d potentially be interested in (there’s a black estate on AT right now for £12,750) and of course a ton of pre-facelift C63’s, but judging the risk is obviously impossible!

I’d be interested to know if you do decide to go down the prevent measures route, or at least look at the options. I’ve seen a few E63’s I’d potentially be interested in (there’s a black estate on AT right now for £12,750) and of course a ton of pre-facelift C63’s, but judging the risk is obviously impossible!

The indie I used here I trust - the car is with him on 1st June for a new door handle to sort out a keyless entry issue, so will see what he thinks and report back

The indie I used here I trust - the car is with him on 1st June for a new door handle to sort out a keyless entry issue, so will see what he thinks and report back
Ok cool. I bet he says the internet makes it more of an issue than it really is - but, if there was a 'cost effective' way of preventing the problem, I'd certainly consider doing it [if I bought a C/E63]. I could try MSL in Birmingham, see if they've got a solution?

What is shocking in this head bolt issue is that someone at MB decided the design of the female bolt was any good in the first place. One look at a cross section of the male V the female bolt tells you all you need to know, thats before you get into whatever materials were used.

Ok cool. I bet he says the internet makes it more of an issue than it really is - but, if there was a 'cost effective' way of preventing the problem, I'd certainly consider doing it [if I bought a C/E63]. I could try MSL in Birmingham, see if they've got a solution?

I'm going to ask him for a price just out of curiosity.....will post when I know

What is shocking in this head bolt issue is that someone at MB decided the design of the female bolt was any good in the first place. One look at a cross section of the male V the female bolt tells you all you need to know, thats before you get into whatever materials were used.

I don't know, but I'm assuming they washed their hands of it too?

I was really worried about headbolts when I first bought mine, that's passed now. I decided if the worst happens I'll address the issue then.

I'm on an Ml63 Facebook group and some have huge mileage with no engine issues, some have had headbolt issues (but as far as I can tell not massive numbers) some caught early and not to bad a repair.

I check mine weekly for changes in oil and coolant level, hopefully I will catch any potential issues should they occur. Of course can't account for a sudden drastic failure, fingers crossed on that.

I decided to save my the money for issues that do occur. Nearly 13 years old, and coming up to 70k, still drives great. Great engines.

IMG_0079.JPG

I was really worried about headbolts when I first bought mine, that's passed now. I decided if the worst happens I'll address the issue then.

I'm on an Ml63 Facebook group and some have huge mileage with no engine issues, some have had headbolt issues (but as far as I can tell not massive numbers) some caught early and not to bad a repair.

I check mine weekly for changes in oil and coolant level, hopefully I will catch any potential issues should they occur. Of course can't account for a sudden drastic failure, fingers crossed on that.

I decided to save my the money for issues that do occur. Nearly 13 years old, and coming up to 70k, still drives great. Great engines.

View attachment 97198

mine is in with indie on Monday to have a new door handle to fix a keyless entry issue so will question him on it. Knowing him well though, I bet he would agree with you and only do it if necessary. I’m like you, I check oil and coolant weekly so I’m sure I’d notice any coolant loss in time before a major failure...hope so anyway!

View attachment 97198
Great engine, great car. A high reviving naturally aspirated petrol engine shouldn’t “work“ in a large SUV, but it works a treat 👍🏻

Worry about it when you have to. Despite what people say its an uncommon fault,

I wouldn't bother, speaking from my own experience. I did mine as I had the engine out for other reasons, and too much time spent reading the horror stories made me think it was the right thing to do. think my 2008 car had 90k miles ish on it, only 2 of the 20 ish bolts had signs of corrosion, but not to the point their strength was compromised. You don't hear of all the ones still going fine on original bolts, just a handful around the world that cry to the internet when things go wrong.

Worry about it when you have to. Despite what people say its an uncommon fault,

Thank you - it's good to have the opinion from someone who know's what they're talking about (no disrespect to everybody else!) - appreciate the input

I wouldn't bother, speaking from my own experience. I did mine as I had the engine out for other reasons, and too much time spent reading the horror stories made me think it was the right thing to do. think my 2008 car had 90k miles ish on it, only 2 of the 20 ish bolts had signs of corrosion, but not to the point their strength was compromised. You don't hear of all the ones still going fine on original bolts, just a handful around the world that cry to the internet when things go wrong.

Keyboard warriors that started a landslide....... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom