M156 Head bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
So I'm taking my car for a service next week at my dealer.

I have spoken to them about the head bolt issue and have asked them to change them while they've got the car.

My car is fine and hasn't displayed any of the symptoms associated with the head bolts issues.

I am wanting them to change them as a precautionary measure, which I think is both wise and logical.
Last thing I want is to be facing the issue if/when it happens.

So far, they are not being overly helpful and don't seem to know anything about this issue.

They are "making some enquiries".

I suspect that they will be telling me that they won't do anything until the car displays symtoms.

What are your thoughts?

Should I start taking my car to an indy who actually cares about looking after its customers or am I asking too much for the dealer to help me with preventative measures?

I have been taking my car to my local MB since I've had it.
Had them look after my old CLK and family members also take their MB's there too.

Shall I find another dealer or just start using an indy from now on, I wonder..

Hi Rash, hope you're good mate.

I would say stick with main dealer for the services and take to Indy for things like the head bolts, etc unless you get the dealer to agree to fix the issue but I doubt that will happen.

You get the Mobilo plus corrosion warranty if you keep your FMBSH, worth keeping!

Relax slim, you have a tier one warranty on your car

If it ain't broke......

Last edited:
Hi Rash, hope you're good mate.

I would say stick with main dealer for the services and take to Indy for things like the head bolts, etc unless you get the dealer to agree to fix the issue but I doubt that will happen.

You get the Mobilo plus corrosion warranty if you keep your FMBSH, worth keeping!

Yo!

I'm good thanks, bud.
Hope all is well with you.

Yup, hear you.
It took me a while to get everyone in my Mb dealer to understand how I am with the car and how I expect it treated when they work on it.
Rather not go to another dealer and start from scratch all over again.
There is only one guy down there that I let work on the car.
Really good guy and I trust his work 100%.
Although to be fair, there are a handful of other guys down there that are good too.

I'd also prefer to continue having MB service the car for reasons you have described.

Just sometimes feel that they don't do as much as I thought they would/could, especially considering how I've taken my car to them for servicing etc without fail.

Just heard back from them.
As I suspected, they will not be willing to undertake any work relating to head bolts unless the car displays symptoms.
Even then, they said that there is no guarantee that MB will authorise the work due to the age and mileage of the car?!?!

Age and mileage?!!?

Like to see them find a 9yr old AMG with my mileage and condition :rolleyes::doh:

So it looks like I won't be able to get them to do anything with the head bolts.

To be fair, the car is fine.
I would have just liked to have swapped out the head bolts while they're servicing it.

Relax slim, you have a tier one warranty on your car

If it ain't broke......

Yup, I hear you.
Just wanted the piece of mind.
The issue is few and far between so there's every reason to believe my car won't have any issue.

But I reiterated to them that I do not change cars every year and that I will be keeping this car, hence why it is important to me to address any potential issue before they arise.

They couldn't care less whether people keep a car or not, is the truth of it.

This is why I'm thinking indy in future....

Invest in some ARP studs instead. Head bolts are not ideal as on top of twist action you also have the pulling stress on the thread and aluminium is obviously a softer material so will get damaged easier and quicker. Studs go in and are finger tight, then you only have to deal with twisting pressure from the nut.

Invest in some ARP studs instead. Head bolts are not ideal as on top of twist action you also have the pulling stress on the thread and aluminium is obviously a softer material so will get damaged easier and quicker. Studs go in and are finger tight, then you only have to deal with twisting pressure from the nut.

Hey Alex,

Yup, I know some of the other AMG boys have gone this route (John, Lee etc).

May well do the same.

:thumb:

So I'm taking my car for a service next week at my dealer.

I have spoken to them about the head bolt issue and have asked them to change them while they've got the car.

My car is fine and hasn't displayed any of the symptoms associated with the head bolts issues.

I am wanting them to change them as a precautionary measure, which I think is both wise and logical.
Last thing I want is to be facing the issue if/when it happens.

So far, they are not being overly helpful and don't seem to know anything about this issue.

They are "making some enquiries".

I suspect that they will be telling me that they won't do anything until the car displays symtoms.

What are your thoughts?

Should I start taking my car to an indy who actually cares about looking after its customers or am I asking too much for the dealer to help me with preventative measures?

I have been taking my car to my local MB since I've had it.
Had them look after my old CLK and family members also take their MB's there too.

Shall I find another dealer or just start using an indy from now on, I wonder..

Hi Rash mate, just reading your post, I'm with The Don here, you have tier one warranty, you have absolutely no worries, if affordable stay with MB and keep tier one going, however, if the conservatives or labour were go on a political fund raising exercise and raise the tax on polishing wax by 6000% and you then have to consider the option of warranty or polish the car, thinking then's the moment to consider going to the indy, Mike at MB Rochester would suit your requirements,:p:D

Hi Rash mate, just reading your post, I'm with The Don here, you have tier one warranty, you have absolutely no worries, if affordable stay with MB and keep tier one going, however, if the conservatives or labour were go on a political fund raising exercise and raise the tax on polishing wax by 6000% and you then have to consider the option of warranty or polish the car, thinking then's the moment to consider going to the indy, Mike at MB Rochester would suit your requirements,:p:D

Ricky!! :rock:

lol
You funny bugger :D
Appreciate your input... I think :D
Warranty or wax..... ooer.... how will I ever choose?! :crazy:

Mine cost me £1200 to change the bolts while the engine was stripped down to replace the cam tensioners under warranty.

I did it because once the cams were out you were looking at the bolts - a bit of a no brainer really.

I expect you'll pay more than my £1200 as there will be additional labour involved to get you to the bolts, whereas mine were exposed by the cam tensioner job. Have you been quoted?

I should add that the Tier 1 warranty did cover the other c£5K to replace the cam tensioners, so at least you have an example of significant engine work being honoured under the warranty - and I was at c70K mileage too.

Last edited:
Just heard back from them.
As I suspected, they will not be willing to undertake any work relating to head bolts unless the car displays symptoms.
Even then, they said that there is no guarantee that MB will authorise the work due to the age and mileage of the car?!?!

Did you ask them to replace the head bolts as a warranty repair?

That reads to me like they're treating this as a request for a warranty repair, not as a piece of work which you'll pick up the bill for.

If so, I don't blame MB (Mondial) for not authorising the work as there's not a fault, it's precautionary.

If you're prepared to pay for the work, I would be interested to know what there is for MB to authorise, surely that's your job as the person who picks up the cost!

To be fair it's a known fault, so MB should have done a recall.

Funny how they changed them on the 2011+ cars.

Did you ask them to replace the head bolts as a warranty repair?

That reads to me like they're treating this as a request for a warranty repair, not as a piece of work which you'll pick up the bill for.

If so, I don't blame MB (Mondial) for not authorising the work as there's not a fault, it's precautionary.

If you're prepared to pay for the work, I would be interested to know what there is for MB to authorise, surely that's your job as the person who picks up the cost!

Yes, you're right.
As it stands, they won't do the work under warranty as the car does not display any of the symptoms related to the head bolt issue.
But if I ask them to do it, they will treat it as requested work and of course charge me for it.

Out of 100 engines , what percentage do we know has the potential to go wrong with bolt issues ? Just approx of course

To be fair it's a known fault, so MB should have done a recall.

Funny how they changed them on the 2011+ cars.

This was exactly my argument.

But seeing as the issue is not "widespread", it seems they chose to keep quiet about it and address any effected vehicles as and when.

Bit bloody naughty if you ask me.

I must say this is the only concern I have about my engine.I should have dealt with this when I had the sc fitted but due one thing and another it was over looked.The car has run faultlessly before and after the mods and I'm keen to carry out more changes in the near future as I still love the car so will get this carried out on my next shop at weistec :). Nice try with the dealer Rashman it was worth a go.
PS when I win the lottery I'll buy us both a BS CLK for the garage :)
Hope your still enjoying the old CLK ?! :)

Out of 100 engines , what percentage do we know has the potential to go wrong with bolt issues ? Just approx of course

Well, the fail rate seems very low, or so it's sounds.

However, there is one workshop that apparently has 2 C63's in for head bolt failures as we speak.

Whereas another workshop has multiple 63's coming in and out that are perfectly free of head bolt issues.

Seems like a lottery as to whether one car will have an issue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom