M156 tuning question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
I am under the impression the M156 other than the dry-sumped SLS is basically the same engine at different states of tune.

Most C63's which are the most 'de-tuned' seem to be remap-able up to about the 520bhp region.

The later M156 engined E63 + S63's etc had 518bhp.

Can they be remapped to an even higher power level?

If so - why??

Thanks

Last edited:
The standard w204 C63 has 457bhp, you can tune em to circa 500bhp, any more reasonable amount of power after that would require headers or going forced induction.

Acid has squeezed up to 540bhp out of the M156 at MSL.
520 -530 is the ususal with his map.

I am under the impression the M156 other than the dry-sumped SLS is basically the same engine at different states of tune.

Most C63's which are the most 'de-tuned' seem to be remap-able up to about the 520bhp region.

The later M156 engined E63 + S63's etc had 518bhp.

Can they be remapped to an even higher power level?

If so - why??

Thanks

Cars with a more generous engine bay (or those which are designed for a V8 to be the most common engine) may have more space for the exhaust manifold, enabling a free-er flow, and a touch more power.

So the exhaust manifold the main reason for the difference? I wonder what the motor can achive without internals.

Does anyone have any verified figures?

Thanks

I've got so much love for this engine!

Most C63's, whether standard, P31 or 507 end up around 550bhp or a little extra after headers and tune. After that then you really are looking at internals such as Cams, porting and polishing and what-not but, for the price that internal work sets you back for relatively small gains, a supercharger can be thrown on (plus ancillaries such as fuel rail, cooling etc) to sail you way past 600hp, of if you're greedy well over 700hp dependent on supercharger size :D.

Lee on here is your guy when it comes to tuning, as I believe he's been through every stage of it and has pioneered most of it.

Personally, I have no plans to tune my motor. I couldn't be happier with it - those AMG engineers did a sterling job.

I was just interested what sort of margin had been factored in for longevity. I thought all manufacturers de-tuned engines to reduce potential stress and subsequent warranty claims (not that the M156 feels in any way 'stressed') - and to even out differences with those 'freak' engines

Are there non-C M156's out there with 550bhp with just a tune (no headers)?

You'll not get near 550hp without headers on any C63, and that's probably also true for all M156 cars. If you were to take your 507 for a Eurocharged or MSL tune for example, expect around a 15-20hp increase, some sharper throttle, more aggressive acceleration and much more aggressive down-changes. I don't think it would be a night vs day difference for you but then, I can't speak personally not having tuned a 507.

Last edited:
I got 555HP recently at MSL but I do have full IPE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom