M156 vs m157 amg engines c63 e63 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
c_200k said:
What have you had done?

Bothe Robin and I have a Rado exhaust with sports cats and a piggy back box. I have since removed the piggy back and taken another route for some more power.

From a short lived Amg Gt S owner - :0)

Sadly - my car has gone. Lovely looking car - and has the makings of a great car.......

But I could't get on with all of the nannying - maybe it was because of the spec of my car - I only drove it for 150 miles......

The deal breaker for me was when I was coming back from the M4 into London. Traffic relatively light - I was coming off the flyover (A4) - and wanted to pull over into the left hand lane - the was no traffic whilst I did this - and the car lit up all warning lights (Lane assist) - and I could feel the pre-braking coming on - and then the power just kind of died? Very weird. Anyway - the constant talking from car to HQ also left me somewhat cold.

Anyway - decided that I liked a CL65 - which has been DMS tweaked! I love it! It behave like a Merc should - wafting around imperriosly - with a real sting in it's tail to boot! And whilst receiving a massage! I think this car sums up MB for me - and doesn't have the same level of nannying or BigBro comms to HQ!

How would I assess my short time with the GT-S? It has the makings of a great car - the chassis looks pretty impressive - I wasn't a fan of the steering - but to be honest I didn't have it long enough to form an opinion. What could be better? Put the normally aspirated 6.2 V8 back in!

So he doesn't like pre safe which is a) nothing to do with the engine and b) entirely switchable He is also longing so much for the M156 that he bought a v12 65 ?

Rather than explore how to better understand the functions of the car he simply got rid of it after 150 miles ?

He talks about communication from car to hq and seems slightly befuddled by the spec of the £130k car he bought.

Is this guy a genuine source ?

Last edited:
rsk21 said:
So he doesn't like pre safe which is a) nothing to do with the engine and b) entirely switchable He is also longing so much for the M156 that he bought a v12 65 ? Rather than explore how to better understand the functions of the car he simply got rid of it after 150 miles ? He talks about communication from car to hq and seems slightly befuddled by the spec of the £130k car he bought. Is this guy a genuine source ?

Pretty genuine Robin yes, his previously owned cars -

Lamborghini Aventador

Maserati Grandtourismo S MC-Shift

Mercedes SLS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Aprilia Mille RSV R Factory R

MV Agusta F4 Serie Oro

Ducati 999R R

Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV

TVR Cerbera 4.5 LW

Lamborghini Diablo 2WD

BMW M3 SMG

TVR Tuscan 4.0 Red Rose

Lamborghini Diablo SV (MY 98)

TVR Cerbera 4.5

Ferrari 550 Maranello

Ferrari 355 Spyder F1

Ducati 749 R

Ferrari 550 Maranello World Speed Record

Porsche 997 GT3 RS

TVR Chimaera 500

TVR Chimaera 500

He could have turned all the assists off. The guy sounds like a ****.

The _Don said:
Pretty genuine Robin yes, his previously owned cars - Lamborghini Aventador Maserati Grandtourismo S MC-Shift Mercedes SLS Ferrari 599 GTO Aprilia Mille RSV R Factory R MV Agusta F4 Serie Oro Ducati 999R R Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV TVR Cerbera 4.5 LW Lamborghini Diablo 2WD BMW M3 SMG TVR Tuscan 4.0 Red Rose Lamborghini Diablo SV (MY 98) TVR Cerbera 4.5 Ferrari 550 Maranello Ferrari 355 Spyder F1 Ducati 749 R Ferrari 550 Maranello World Speed Record Porsche 997 GT3 RS TVR Chimaera 500 TVR Chimaera 500

Impressive pedigree.

Seems at odds with the way he comes across in that admittedly rather brief excerpt you have posted.

Nothing in that though makes me think that the GTS or its engine is in any way a bad choice.

What was the point of it Don ?

I can't wait for mine to arrive, not long hopefully.

I've only driven the GTS once for 1hr, loved every minute, was rude not to put my name down on the list. :D

Gearbox for me felt quicker than the amazing PDK in the Porsches, that's saying something!

I've run and enjoyed my SL63 with the N/A 6.2 engine for about four months now a week or so ago I booked the three hour AMG driving experience in the later turbo SL63.
Basically because I need to know the handling limits of the SL63 because when you put your foot down and it squiggles and wiggles all over the place which I like but thought to myself this car will kill me on the first rainy day around fast bends.
At first it felt that the throttle response on the turbo car wasn't as accurate but you soon got used to it it was only getting back in the N/A car I realised I just preferred the overall characteristics and sound of the N/A engined car.
From a budget point of view I didn't want to spend the extra £20-30K for the later car and in many ways I'm more than happy with my purchase only problem is it's got me lusting after the other 6.2 N/A engine that has an SLS wrapped around it.

I believe Jackwood went from a C63 to a 2013 E63 and went back to a 6.2 C63.

He and I both had transmission problems with our E63s, which tainted our experiences of our respective cars.

Financials aside, I think the 6.2 C63 is a much more interesting car with a far superior engine.

On a slightly related note, a friend of mine has recently taken delivery of a new, fully loaded C63S and is very underwhelmed by it (hates the power delivery, excessive torque, contrived sound etc).

Correct. Old C63 a better car, bar internal volume (space, not noise), than bi-turbo E63. Love our most recent one.

Couple of recent posts on Pistonheads.

I couldn't get to sleep last night went to bed at 2am and was still awake at 4am so got up and ready and took the C63 out for a good 2hr drive.

The M156 engine really is a masterpiece, I love it and it felt really nice and connected with the car. imo you can enjoy the noise and engine more whereas the Biturbo is just too quick to enjoy.

There's nothing wrong with the Biturbo I've had both the M156 and M157 and they are both amazing in their own way and I'd have either.

Also if no ones ever taken their car out at that time in the morning your missing out :devil::devil::devil:

I still do not think any of the new Amg turbo engines have a throttle response anywhere near as superb as the 6.3

Room for both variants, it's quite something AMG cater for everyone, I'm in the red corner 😉

Driven both

for me
It’s the 5.5 biturbo faster in standard form and drinks slightly less fuel. Don’t need to always downshift if you want to overtake someone

and after a remap not much will keep up with them from a roll

nothing against the 6.2 I love that engine but if I’m given a choice on what engine out of the 2 to have in a E63 I’m picking the the 5.5 V8 biturbo

Driven both

for me
It’s the 5.5 biturbo faster in standard form and drinks slightly less fuel. Don’t need to always downshift if you want to overtake someone

and after a remap not much will keep up with them from a roll

nothing against the 6.2 I love that engine but if I’m given a choice on what engine out of the 2 to have in a E63 I’m picking the the 5.5 V8 biturbo
Do you have an M177 now (can't see on the app, but seem to remember you do!)? If so interested to know how you like it compared to the M157...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom