M156 vs m157 amg engines c63 e63 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Room for both variants, it's quite something AMG cater for everyone, I'm in the red corner 😉
I'm sorry, but I simply cannot believe you haven't previously commented on this 8 year old thread in your 6 years of membership. What have you been playing at... it was made for you 😜🤣😂😉

I've been a naughty boy on a thread in this section relating to W212 facelift e63's.

The M156 isn't aloud to be mentioned over there, it's "only" boring M157 talk aloud 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

This thread has a good insight into all variants, and is not " only" for M157 owners and wannabes.

We cater for all on this thread. 👍😁

Do you have an M177 now (can't see on the app, but seem to remember you do!)? If so interested to know how you like it compared to the M157...
As an M177 owner (previously M156 owner) I too would be interested to hear from those who've also driven the M157 for comparison.

I've been a naughty boy on a thread in this section relating to W212 facelift e63's.

The M156 isn't aloud to be mentioned over there, it's "only" boring M157 talk aloud 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

This thread has a good insight into all variants, and is not " only" for M157 owners and wannabes.

It's more a case of that I'm not considering a car fitted with the M156, so why would I give a flying **** about it and anyone's opinions on an engine I don't want?

In fact, tell you what, I've never driven a car with the 6.2 or not 5.5, so put your money where your mouth is and let me have a drive of your car so that I can form a valid opinion on it.

It's more a case of that I'm not considering a car fitted with the M156, so why would I give a flying **** about it and anyone's opinions on an engine I don't want?

Valid opinion on an engine you don't give a flying .... About!

It's the 157 you want to be testing not the 156. You have clearly mentioned that or am I missing something!

In fact, tell you what, I've never driven a car with the 6.2 or not 5.5, so put your money where your mouth is and let me have a drive of your car so that I can form a valid opinion on it.

I think I'll swerve that one, the 6.2 is special and unless you have a desire to actually own one which you have clearly stated you don't, you can go test pilot elsewhere 😁😉

Wimp

Last edited:
What are you worried about? That your precious unbreakable M156 engine will fail to deliver? Lol

I’ve been watching these various and occasionally heated discussions on the 156 vs 157 and in order to maintain forum harmony I believe I have found a solution!

It seems to me the only way to pacify both camps is to combine both engines in a single car. What we need is a German Alfa Bimotore! One engine at each end. Hmm which one goes at the front though....

The Solution

I’ve been watching these various and occasionally heated discussions on the 156 vs 157 and in order to maintain forum harmony I believe I have found a solution!

It seems to me the only way to pacify both camps is to combine both engines in a single car. What we need is a German Alfa Bimotore! One engine at each end. Hmm which one goes at the front though....

The Solution

Or just ban 350cls.

What are you worried about? That your precious unbreakable M156 engine will fail to deliver? Lol

This thread will Tel you everything you need to know. Not one mention of failure to deliver that I have read!😁

Ah, the other chuckle brother has arrived! I was wondering when your other account would log in :D

Enjoy your m157 Mr Woof Woof dont nod off whilst driving it.

I don't have one currently, so I cannot enjoy what I do not have.

I find the vitriol over an engine amazing. I bet you go around screaming at kids when they talk about the m157. I'd say you need to get out more, but you'd only go and lick windows so should probably stay in.

Do you have an M177 now (can't see on the app, but seem to remember you do!)? If so interested to know how you like it compared to the M157...
Yes I have a C63 with the M177 engine

these opinions of mine as both in standard form as my c63 is standard and my mates w212 e63 is standard

comparing the 2 is tricky. The M177 feels more responsive as it has the “hot v” design. The M177 actually feels like a NA engine. It has more revs to play with so gives a slightly more sporty feeling. Drinks less fuel than the m157

the M157 feels more brutal feels like it revs slower but as it revving slower it’s moving at a faster pace. It has slightly more turbo lag but in return gives you that punch on full boost. It makes a better sound, on full throttle and on cold starts it just sounds like the c63 big brother. Does drink more fuel than the m177

both excellent engines really hard to pin point a better engine both have huge tuning potential. My mates w212 is a 2014 so with the better timing chain so both for reliability are the same non of them engines has given me or my mate problems

I personally vote for the M177 engine but if someone else thinks the M157 is better I can completely understand why it’s a excellent engine and suits the bigger heavier E class.

@f17ant

Thanks for the comparison. I was looking forward to hearing someone's thoughts who had experienced both. I've got an m157 e63 but not been in the new versions.

Yes I have a C63 with the M177 engine

these opinions of mine as both in standard form as my c63 is standard and my mates w212 e63 is standard

comparing the 2 is tricky. The M177 feels more responsive as it has the “hot v” design. The M177 actually feels like a NA engine. It has more revs to play with so gives a slightly more sporty feeling. Drinks less fuel than the m157

the M157 feels more brutal feels like it revs slower but as it revving slower it’s moving at a faster pace. It has slightly more turbo lag but in return gives you that punch on full boost. It makes a better sound, on full throttle and on cold starts it just sounds like the c63 big brother. Does drink more fuel than the m177

both excellent engines really hard to pin point a better engine both have huge tuning potential. My mates w212 is a 2014 so with the better timing chain so both for reliability are the same non of them engines has given me or my mate problems

I personally vote for the M177 engine but if someone else thinks the M157 is better I can completely understand why it’s a excellent engine and suits the bigger heavier E class.
Thanks, very interesting to get your thoughts as I hope to move to a car with the M177 in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom