M156

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S30MSN

Car
VW Golf 1.6 TDi (Work Horse), C63 507 Saloon (Sold)
Since selling my 507 last summer i've been looking for a replacement and had decided that if I stay with Mercs the choices would be either an E63 or SL63 (I know, you couldn't get two more different cars - but there was/is logic behind my choices) the versions I looked at where running the M157 5.5 Bi-Turbo.

Having driven a number of each model and nearly buying a loverly E63 I've realised that I really miss my 507 and the big shouty monster up front - I'd be lying if I said I havent looked at getting another one, or a Performance Pack C63 of even a regular one and going crazy modding it.

Apart from the fact that my mates would rip the piss out of me for buying the same car twice or that my missus would probably not talk to me if I was to get another C63 I've decided to look at other models using the M156.

And that brings me to my questions as the model I'm considering is the R230 SL63.

What I'd like to know is:-
  • Headbolt issues - what engine numbers had the revised bolts fitted?
  • Where under the bonnet can the engine number be found?
  • Can I call a Mercedes dealer or Mercedes UK when I have the number and get them to check if the car has the revised bolts?
  • What other areas should I look out for, I've read that the ABC suspension is a lot more reliable on these than SL55's - is this true?
  • I read some historic posts on the American forums where people were complaining about the gearboxes (dont they have the same 7G box with the Wet Clutch setup as the facelifted C63's?).
Thanks

Ok Headbolt- serial number 60658 and later were modified. There has been a LOT of talk on this and numerous threads on the issue over various forums. The numbers of failures in reality compared to cars on the road seems to be very low (doesn’t help if you have the one of course!)
The number I believe is on a plate near /under the bonnet shut passenger side? Is on mine but that’s a 212
R230’s still have ABC and the ABC is still it’s old ‘interesting’ self. 231’s dropped it unless you were mad enough to special order. So REALLY do the homework on that system when/if you view one- check the fluid state, the struts raise and lower properly and there are no visible leaks. Even then you can get caught!
never thought of any issues with the 7G on these, perfectly good!

I loved my SL and in some ways miss it....however I don’t miss the 7k in one year I spent getting it up to standard and keeping it going- 4K of that was ABC related....

231's seem much more reliable, according to a couple of owners I know. Depends on your budget but I would be going for a 231. Both owners have only spent normal maintenance costs over 2/3 years although neither are daily drivers. Tyres don't last though ;)

Ok Headbolt- serial number 60658 and later were modified. There has been a LOT of talk on this and numerous threads on the issue over various forums. The numbers of failures in reality compared to cars on the road seems to be very low (doesn’t help if you have the one of course!)
The number I believe is on a plate near /under the bonnet shut passenger side? Is on mine but that’s a 212
R230’s still have ABC and the ABC is still it’s old ‘interesting’ self. 231’s dropped it unless you were mad enough to special order. So REALLY do the homework on that system when/if you view one- check the fluid state, the struts raise and lower properly and there are no visible leaks. Even then you can get caught!
never thought of any issues with the 7G on these, perfectly good!

I loved my SL and in some ways miss it....however I don’t miss the 7k in one year I spent getting it up to standard and keeping it going- 4K of that was ABC related....

Thanks Mate, thats very helpful, I am hoping to go and look at a local one tomorrow so will check the engine number....as you say very few units were affected compared to the numbers of models produced but I just want to be sure before I make a decision.

That is interesting re: the ABC, wasnt aware of it was still so tempremental, when you say check the fluid state - how would i do that? (sorry if thats a silly/obvious question).

231's are likely to be far more reliable and I've viewed a few, they felt really solid. Budget wise they are definately in but i cant stop wanting the M156 again.

Shouldn't have sold my 507!!

I had a 230 SL63 for about a year and really liked it, but the potential head-bolt issue annoyed me no end being a 2007 car. Never had any issues with the car although I used a main MB dealer for my servicing.

During my ownership I took up the 4 hour driving experience at MB World (no longer offered)in a 231 SL63 and was mighty impressed, believe me the limits of handling in very wet conditions are nowhere near touched on the road.
After the MB World experience I drove my 230 SL63 home and thought that the 230 with the N/A was a nicer experience as wringing out the revs with that natural guttural wail seemed nicer than the 231.

You can adjust the car to be a very comfortable cruiser that my wife could even drive and you felt it would do a 400 mile trip with ease. Then at the press of a few buttons it was a lunatic that brought the lunatic out in you.
Having said all that if I were in the position of buying one now I'd opt for the 231.

Thanks Mate, thats very helpful, I am hoping to go and look at a local one tomorrow so will check the engine number....as you say very few units were affected compared to the numbers of models produced but I just want to be sure before I make a decision.

That is interesting re: the ABC, wasnt aware of it was still so tempremental, when you say check the fluid state - how would i do that? (sorry if thats a silly/obvious question).
Sorry for my late return, not on here as much as I should!
There is an ABC Dip tube facing you on the right of engine as you face towards the windscreen which you can open and look in/on the stick. Just be careful not to drop anything whatsoever in there when you do it though, easily contaminated and contamination can destroy valves and pumps! The fluid should be a nice translucent green colour when new, will obviously get dull when worked- if it’s black filthy walk away quickly, very quickly!

For me if it was definetely the SL which was drawing me and not the engine then it’s the 231 any day- all the aching beauty of an SL with many less of the flaws which beset the 230 (I’ll keep my head down now!)

Apart from the fact that my mates would rip the piss out of me for buying the same car twice or that my missus would probably not talk to me if I was to get another C63 I've decided to look at other models using the M156.

Well, I'd man up and buy the car I wanted and take the risk the missus gave me the silent treatment.:D Might even be a bonus;)
I'd be looking for a 12/13 plate basic C63 with the options you want and then pay Acid a visit at MSL:devil:
Budget dependant, you could have a 750+bhp monster with MSL's knowhow if you were so inclined and what fun watching that happen.

Excellent Spot Phil, I had to look closely but it is my old 507. What a machine which I do miss.

I have however finally brought a replacement.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom