M157 5.5ltr Biturbo oil consumption.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Had a message come up on the dash last night to add 1lt of oil when I next fill up. and I'm almost sure I had this message back in October just a month after a main dealer service and put in a litre then.
Anyway, I don't ignore oil messages, so checked the dipstick this morning and indeed there was just a trace on the end of the stick. Added a litre from my almost empty stock of MB 5w/40 oil and checked again and the level is good.
But, if I topped up with a litre last October, and another litre now, I've only covered around 2400miles since then. Does this point to above normal oil consumption or is this to be expected?
My previous E55 covered 23k miles during my 6 year ownership and I topped up only twice in that whole time. Are M157 engines a bit thirsty on the oil? I 've read that M156 engines can drink a bit, but have little experience with this one.

It’s normal Afaik, we had to put in ours every 2/3 k miles too.

I carry a litre of oil in the boot , my V8 AMG has almost 150K miles on it and will sometimes need a litre after a few thousand miles. I just drop a litre in when it asks for it and craic on !

^ I keep a litre in the boot as well. Saves messing around with measuring jugs too.
Thanks for the reassurance its normal. After the 55 using practically no oil between services, this one does and I'll be aware of it now.

Your consumption is better than average. Quite a few threads on here and the US forums where many M157’s consume around a litre per 1000 miles, some a little less, some a touch more. If you’ve done 2400 miles then that’s definitely on the good side.

These engines can leak from the front cam covers down the front of the cylinder heads and into the 4 camshaft sensors wiring loom. Worth unplugging each sensor on the next inspection to see if oil has starting leaking through. Whilst both of these leaks would only account for a small loss in oil still worth checking.

These engines can leak from the front cam covers down the front of the cylinder heads and into the 4 camshaft sensors wiring loom. Worth unplugging each sensor on the next inspection to see if oil has starting leaking through. Whilst both of these leaks would only account for a small loss in oil still worth checking.
Correct and can present as a P0017/18 fault

How much is a litre on the dipstick? I don't think mine uses that much, it does go from max down to min over a few thousand miles, which normally equates to the next service anyway.

As an aside, I was surprised how dirty the exhaust tips were on my 11k mile E63 (M156 6.2) and my 21k mile GL63 (M157 5.5) when I bought them.

I cleaned every trace of carbon etc off the tips on my GL63 just a couple of thousand miles/few months ago, and was amazed that they were pretty bad again when I went to clean them just recently.

By comparison, on all of the M113/K engined cars I have had, the tips stayed clean for longer. They never used any noticeable oil either!

I haven’t had to top the oil up between services on the GL63 (but it only did about 3k miles) - but I suspect the 156/157 uses quite a bit more oil than the 113s used to.

I’ve just had mine serviced, and it’s about 2/3rd of the way up on the dipstick markings. I intend to check it periodically though and have plenty of oil to top up if necessary.

How much is a litre on the dipstick? I don't think mine uses that much, it does go from max down to min over a few thousand miles, which normally equates to the next service anyway.

I would say from just a trace on the bottom of the dipstick to roughly 2/3rds up the stick is approx 1lt of oil. That was my reading anyway.
I don't think the dealer filled the level any higher either as I checked the day after the service.

By comparison, on all of the M113/K engined cars I have had, the tips stayed clean for longer. They never used any noticeable oil either!

I haven’t had to top the oil up between services on the GL63 (but it only did about 3k miles) - but I suspect the 156/157 uses quite a bit more oil than the 113s used to.

My experience of the oil consumption on the 113 is similar Will.
The tips on the 55 just needed a wipe out at every wash, nothing stuck.
Can't tell with the 63 as I have the night pack with black tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom