m157 engine code p0017 and p0018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bandman

Car
2012 CLS 69 AMG
long story short I have a CEL
only symptom is cranking a little longer to start and eco mode inactive

car is 2012 cls63 with 102k miles

a lot of people agree it could be CPS sensor

worse case scenario is timing issue which isnt uncommon on these engines

however i have a new CPS sensor I want to replace first to rule that out, only issue is I cant seem to see it from the top i have an idea where it is based on other engines but is there anywhere I can find a write up or doc explaining how to replace it?

thanks

Welcome to the forum Bandman,

Don't know if this helps, but the CPS is #90 in the diagram below. It does show the approximate position to assist you finding it.
SWITCHES,SENDER UNITS,SENSORS MERCEDES CLS-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

If the CPS change doesn't put out the CEL, time to get the car on Star and see what the problem is.
You may find looking on the mainly US based forum MBworld.org is useful as a lot of the members have Star equipment themselves and you may find someone in your area without going to a main dealer which as you know means $$$ . Mercedes-Benz Forum, News, and Reviews - MBWorld

I appreciate the response my friend. Was hoping to find somebody here with more experience but yeah i do agree a US based forum would probably be better but the truth is i'm actually 21 savage and theyre trying to ship me back to london

Sounds like your cam chain(s) have stretched.

Normally symptoms are p0016/17/18/19 faults which is the CPS not detecting the correct position of the cam timing chain.

Other linked causes are a failed CPS, oil ingress in the CPS, ECU loom oil ingress.

It’ll throw a code to start with and after a few miles it’ll come back on, normally on start up. Next stage is the car taking longer to start, this gets worse and eventually will throw a code every time.

For all early M157 engines (2011-12) there was an issue that required the cam tensioners and check valves to be installed due to oil circulation issues on start up. As this was never a recall item, then many cars will have never had it done. The downside for these cars is that in time the chain will stretch and cause position issues and in some cases cause the chain to jump a tooth....not good.

It’s a big watch out for any M157 owners whose engines never had the original work done, plus MB should be ashamed of themselves for never making it a recall item, especially as all cars post 2012 had the new tensioners and check valve fitted, they’ve even upgraded the design of the chains and sprockets!!

With the age and Mileage of these cars there will be more needing this work. I know of some that have stretched at circa 30k miles!

Good luck

Jules

Ive heard about this too. not sure if mine was done by previous owner but doubt it. I havent experienced timing chain noise on startup like a lot of others and the odd thing is sometimes the car fires right up without cranking too long its really hit or miss
i have a new cps sensor i plant to get it installed this weekend. its a pain in the a** to get to, couldnt reach it from the top but gonna take another crack at it after work

hoping its just the sensor

also i got the car checked with xentry

fault code is p001885 position of intake camshaft ( cylinder bank 2) is implausible

also fuel rail pressure is low but in spec its at 99 spec is 80-120

and total actuation angle of quantity control valve is low

but spec is 20-210

if anyone can translate this please let me know

im trying to be more of a diy guy since the car is long out of warranty and high in miles now

5fc89834_a7ff_4c51_9e40_5fd608a83e77_dd4003142f30278464886cf58cdceb5e5b8bf2ad.jpeg

i should also mention the car is tuned. stage 1 been tuned for over 30k miles with no issue so I wouldnt blame the tune

Tune makes no real difference.

Do you have downpipes or is it decatted? If so hearing the rattle on start up is difficult. Also the initial rattling is likely to have started as early as 10k Miles, so probably before your ownership.

Fingers crossed it is something simple, but sounds like cam chain

Tune makes no real difference.

Do you have downpipes or is it decatted? If so hearing the rattle on start up is difficult. Also the initial rattling is likely to have started as early as 10k Miles, so probably before your ownership.

Fingers crossed it is something simple, but sounds like cam chain

car is decatted. so yeah probably is hard to hear. ive done more research and apparently the camshaft adjusters could be the issue too. only thing I can do is put the CPS in and if that doesnt work I have to go to the stealership for the diagnostic

Cheers my uk brethren

Need to give an important update to everyone.

I appreciate all the help and tips so far I have gotten 2 Indy shop diagnostic and a opinion from MB dealer without taking a look

We changed the camshaft adjuster magnets (shops believed this was the cause) paid $550 or 486 euro, didn’t do anything

We also changed CPS sensor. No difference

At this point they believed they narrowed it down to 2 possibilities

1. Stretched timing chain (less likely)
2. Bad camshaft actuator/ adjuster (likely)
3. Bad chain tensioner (likely)

It sucks but these are reasonable assumptions. The job will be dealt with but the quote they tried to scare me with is ridiculous ($3800 or 3360 euro for parts to change chain, tensioners, camshaft adjusters and around another $3k for labor)

Even getting into the valve cover to take a look at timing they are saying is 15-20 hours labor. At this point I’m thinking about getting the parts myself and changing everything all at once while I’m in there. For experienced techs is this a job an amateur can pull off? If not then I have a couple mechanic friends that could help me but I’m definitely not paying $7k (6196 euro) for a job that’s not even an engine out job.

Also the shop owner basically tried to imply that the car is junk now and I should get rid of it. I strongly disagree: this car has been hard to get rid of since my warranty expired because I still love it a lot and I haven’t had issues until now. I’ve taken very good care of the car I feel it has a lot of life left

Even now there is something weird. Other ppl with timing chain issues according to TSB there is a timing chain noise and rattle at start up. I don’t have this. People with stretched chains have other codes and misfire codes I only have this. Other people experience rough driving or loss of power I don’t have this. And also sometimes my car fires right up like normal with no extended crank so idk. I’m thinking maybe the camshaft adjuster. Or is it’s even possible the ecu is bad from oil in the harness

long story short I have a CEL
only symptom is cranking a little longer to start and eco mode inactive

car is 2012 cls63 with 102k miles

a lot of people agree it could be CPS sensor

worse case scenario is timing issue which isnt uncommon on these engines

however i have a new CPS sensor I want to replace first to rule that out, only issue is I cant seem to see it from the top i have an idea where it is based on other engines but is there anywhere I can find a write up or doc explaining how to replace it?

thanks
Did you get this resolved ? I have a 2014 e63s doing the exact same thing

I currently am getting low fuel pressure codes, eco light does not even come on the switch to give you the option to turn on. Cam position readings are bordering out of range. ? Stretched chain? Sensor or magnet ?
Also car occasionally is low on power just seems sluggish compared to other times. 0-60 is over 4 seconds most times with a stage one tune all stock other then that

I have extended warranty but it has limitations.

How much does it cost to replace the timing components in this car ?

Hello and welcome Krule77 . Bandman has not been on here since February 2019 and has only 3 posts , so not sure you will hear from him anytime soon.
Hopefully someone will be along to help you out soon.

best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom