M157 rev limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An e63 biturbo is on my short list to replace my E60 M5. If the m156 came in a 2014 e63 I'd consider one.
I set out in search for a 211 m156 e63, then I decided the 212 would be a better buy but still had my heart set on the M156. After weighing up how I would use the car and what I would get most enjoyment out of I was confident the torque of the turbo engine would be the best choice. Couple that with finding a biturbo e63 I was very keen on I made my choice and very happy. Moral is get what suits your needs cause they're all great.

Owned the E39 beast, that was special. Didn't hold onto it long enough. I let go to soon.

Had the blower version with the M113k 55. That was brutal.

What I have currently is my favourite. I have stated the reasons a few times.
It does all I need and require fabulously well and more.

Do I aspire to own a m157. No I don't at this particular time. Would I in the future possibly.

To many horror stories for the E60 M5 I'm afraid. The gearbox being the biggest put off. With its functionality and reliability. But that exhaust note i think on a par with a M156.

I think if we got the manual version of that V10. That would go down as one of the all time greats. Puzzling how over in the US they did get a manual option.

Saying that I'm auto all the way nowadays

Last edited:
I'd say unless you've driven an E60 then it is hard to really comment. The gearbox really isn't as bad as the internet says it is (I thought the same).

I have driven one of the manual converted UK cars. They miss something despite being more involved.

Over exaggerated then like other supposed cars with issues.

From what I have gathered, it's when your driving the car in a normal day to day basis the box can become notchy and confused in certain shifts programs. It's only when you are getting on it the gearbox feels at home.

I take on board not driving one it's hard to comment with true, honest, review, but I have read of the similar issues the box can throw.

I've never driven an m156. I would like to, I like na v8s. I owned 2 E39 M5's before I had an E55.

I've never driven an m157 or an S63.

You should try an s85. The world goes crazy at 6000 rpm.
But anything less and you may aswell drive a diesel 🤣

Many of us, including me, prefer the world to go crazy at rather lower revs, though. Horses for courses, eh?

Over exaggerated then like other supposed cars with issues.

From what I have gathered, it's when your driving the car in a normal day to day basis the box can become notchy and confused in certain shifts programs. It's only when you are getting on it the gearbox feels at home.

I take on board not driving one it's hard to comment with true, honest, review, but I have read of the similar issues the box can throw.

I'm not going to sit here and lie and say that ownership has been cheap. The engine failed in 2018 after I let a rogue mechanic work on it (he did something bad to my car and many others). Otherwise the other issues have been a failed fuel pump (can happen to any car), failed alternator (can happen to any car), failed clutch position sensor (unique to e60 M5) some suspension bushes needed replacing. Otherwise in the last 18k miles it's been very little trouble.

The internet ruins the cars, but that's true for a lot of others.

Thing is, what's wrong with live and let live? The S63 in the F10 M5 isn't much better reliability wise than the S85 in my M5, but I don't go around calling everyone who owns one a **** head.
Just curious, but what issues have arisen with the S63.
Thought they were supposed to be bulletproof !

@RickMM just checking you read S63 engine in the BMW M5 and not S63 the Mercedes car?

The BMW S63 engine is well known for having problems. It gets hyped up on the internet but it's not unfounded. The 4 Most Common BMW S63 M5 & M6 Engine Problems - S63 TT V8
Thanks for posting that.
I was aware that it's a BM lump. I had an S65 V8 in my M3 a while back and that (along with the S85 V10) was supposed to have big-end shell bearing issues... if you believe the Americans !
All said, the S63 certainly puts out some good power, although I'm glad I went with the AMG 4.0 TT

Thanks for posting that.
I was aware that it's a BM lump. I had an S65 V8 in my M3 a while back and that (along with the S85 V10) was supposed to have big-end shell bearing issues... if you believe the Americans !
All said, the S63 certainly puts out some good power, although I'm glad I went with the AMG 4.0 TT
Rod bearings on the s65 and s85 is a thing. I know several owners who left it too late and the bearings failed.

Mine had copper showing on several of them when I had mine changed.

The S63 suffers rod bearing issues, bent rods, injector failure, oil pump failure on the earlier cars, I think that there may even be issues with the hpfp, but that could be the s55 in the m3 / M4 (that also has crank hub issues and has been known to eat a rod bearing or two).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom