M2 idiot driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No...your lane was travelling faster than the other more congested lanes...perfectly allowable...I'd have done the same.

Not sure I'd consider 6 cars on an otherwise empty motorway 'congested'.

So...what would you have done? And remember the person who posted this went on his way without adding his own frustration, nor risking the upset of the other drivers...all over and done with and no drama.

I've often wondered if an erroneous case would be made in the name of 'safety'.

I.e. it would be 'unsafe' to undertake the cars in the outer lanes, even though yours is clear. To which I would question - how can 4 or 6 lane changes in quick succession possibly be safer than none?

A2

Sick of the A2 anyway .......how many months does it take to repair a gas leak ?!!!! Must have lost 5 hours so far - you sure it wasn't someone throwing something at the workers in the vain hope of waking them up ..:crazy:

So...what would you have done? And remember the person who posted this went on his way without adding his own frustration, nor risking the upset of the other drivers...all over and done with and no drama.

I would have done what I did, I stayed in the LH lane & sailed past the lane blockers.

Yep, M2 is in Kent. This was on a 4 lane section the van was in the 3rd lane, I was in the 1st lane and lanes 2 and 4 were free. It doesn't matter whether the van was in the wrong lane or not, the indisputable fact is only a moron would throw a large object onto the motorway which could cause a serious accident. The coupe was travelling at considerable speed as well, I was doing 70+ and the coupe passed me as if I was parked.

David

While the van ought to have been in lanes one or two , if there was a further lane to the right available then no need for the car to 'undertake' and no reason to throw objects onto the road .

A litter lout as well as a bad driver .

Not excusing his action , but there may have been some earlier 'friction' between these two drivers that you did not see .

A similar episode on Motorway Cops last night - an Audi undertook a Focus, the driver of which got irate, flashed, gesticulated, and threw a can of drink at the other.

The Focus driver, after eventually admitting he lost his rag and threw the can, ended up with a Police caution for a Public Order offense. As the officer said, it was a gross over-reaction and there is never an excuse for throwing something at another vehicle.

As a (former?) motorcyclist I'm well used to dodging the shrapnel lobbed out of car windows.

Have had that as I have had motorbikes for years, but the worst for me was when commuting to work on my mountainbike. I've been t-boned at traffic lights (the driver didnt see me - or the red light) and luckily got away with bruises and just bike/helmet damage. Best one was approaching traffic lights at the side of a car. As I'm just passing the car the driver is putting the window down (blissfully unaware I'm passing) ... and spits. Full phlegm all over my arm. Lovely.

I jog into work now as at least on the pavement you are only avoiding dog muck and the moronic cyclists that think they don't need lights if they ride on the pavement! :rolleyes:

To take the "undertaking" discussion a little further, several times now I have driven on the widened section of the M1, between the M25 and the current roadworks, and found that, while I am in the left lane or the one next to it, I am passing cars that are in the right lane or the one next to that.

This means that there are sometimes 2 or even 3 lanes separating me from them.

I wonder if this would still be considered undertaking?

BTW, I drive a lot in the USA where passing is allowed on either side and never seems to cause any problems. I wonder why we in Europe make such a fuss about it?

BTW, I drive a lot in the USA where passing is allowed on either side and never seems to cause any problems. I wonder why we in Europe make such a fuss about it?

On the US MB forums they do complain about "left lane hoggers". So, contrary to what you may think, they have the same issues as we do with people blocking what they also consider the overtaking lane.

From a US forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/off-topic/419868d1326198442-nuff-said-highway_signs.jpg

Last edited:
On the US MB forums they do complain about "left lane hoggers". So, contrary to what you may think, they have the same issues as we do with people blocking what they also consider the overtaking lane.

From a US forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/off-topic/419868d1326198442-nuff-said-highway_signs.jpg

Nice picture, good to see someone in New Jersey/New York has a sense of humour.

I have heard them complain about left lane hogging but I'm not sure why since they are entitled to simply overtake the offending vehicle on the right side. I think it's more of a problem during peak times when the roads are congested and changing lanes is more of a problem.

I was going clockwise on the m25 between junctions 2 and 3 and there was this white van merrily zipping along at 70 with his left indicator flashing. He was overtaking too with it still flashing away. I hung back and overtook giving him a wide berth.

.................Not excusing his action , but there may have been some earlier 'friction' between these two drivers that you did not see .

I figured there probably was but the guy is still a moron.

David

Last edited:
I do find it interesting that someone who throws an object whilst driving is considered a "moron" - which he actuallyprobably is - but travelling at "70 mph +" is somehow deemed ok even though it is illegal.

I also wonder what the police would actually do if one reported an incident such as throwing an object from a car to them without any corroborative evidence??

Strange world.........

Do you own a burgandy coupe by any chance? ;)

Regardless of who is a moron or who isn't in this case the simple fact is if you are being undertaken you are in the wrong lane.

I was going clockwise on the m25 between junctions 2 and 3 and there was this white van merrily zipping along at 70 with his left indicator flashing. He was overtaking too with it still flashing away.

In my experience, this is 'normal' driving practice on the M25... :D

A

You would have thought that with modern electronic systems, indicators would auto cancel after say 1 or 2 minutes to prevent this sort of things, to quote Top Gear, How hard can it be :)

Sunday evening a fine example of idiocy/piggery on the M3, just before the A303 junction.

Quite a bit of traffic but not choked. Things generally slow down as people chop and change at the last moment, but there is a novel solution if you are the driver of a dark metallic grey GL who wants to save those precious moments on the journey time

Rip along at 90+ undertaking (using the hard shoulder as required) then pull sharply across the A303 bound lanes, drive over the cross hatchings and continue on to the M3.

Repeat process on M3, again using the hard shoulder as desired especially on the two lane bit. When it widens out, simply continue to drive like the selfish arrogant pig you clearly are.

Mrs S. was in the car, got the number and called Plod. Would like to think something will come of it but my expectation is low.

I would say if most of the lanes have traffic in them that is going slower than your own speed and can't find the space to move back to the inside lanes it is congested (what other reason would they be out there?)
So yes I would consider it so :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom