M2 Traffic Patrols

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
....Does anyone know what these non Police types that have just started patrolling the M2 are and what they can do??

They have been in West Yorkshire for ages, I see them every day burning down the hard shoulder past miles of miserable people in stationary cars.

IIRC they are police trained but have no police powers, they are there for support and to keep a "police presence" on the roads without diverting police from more important duties. They basically clear up accident damage, help people change wheels or other minor motoring problems and generally maintain traffic flow.

They do not have anything to do with speeding, and in the event of them witnessing a crime they have no more power than any other civilian but they have a direct radio-link with the local police force.

I think you have cleared that one up precisely;) Cheers.

R2D2 said:
I think you have cleared that one up precisely;) Cheers.
They're actually a nuisance because I sometimes end up nearly shunting into the rear of someone who has seen a green and yellow chequed SUV with yellow and red lamps on top parked on a "police vehicles only" hump and slammed the brakes on (probably from 75mph down to 55) because they think they saw a police car. Even if it actually was a police car then it's still no excuse to panic and shed 20mph off your speed but the fact that they're a powerless, public-sponsored AA/RAC-esque service in a fluorescent-stickered people-carrier or SUV makes it worse.

Last edited:
You are supposed to obey any instructions they give (i.e. to assist clearing an accident, etc.)

For the last two years or so, the Highways Agency have been running a similar service in the West Midlands (M6 and M42). The markings are identical to the Police SUVs except for the orange & red lights and the fact that it says Highways Agency on the rear bumber.

It's fairly obvious that regular Monday-Friday drivers in the area have become adept at spotting the difference because there is a lot less of the panic reductions in speed (except for the real thing). Weekends of course it's a different story!

Overall they're a plus because incidents definitely have been cleared quicker since they've been around.

And quite a few are retired Traffic Bobbys.

But why do they overtake me in my lorry when I'm doing 56mph and then slow down to 54-55mph :crazy:
Sometimes they act just like the motorway cops.
One of them is gonna get squashed by a truck one day for doing this :rolleyes:

Traffic Police wanabes... :rolleyes:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1968.aspx

Click the "See tables...." link for before and after comparisons of what the police did and they now do.

Been around the M25 for a while and yes, some people do tend to panic and will not overtake, even if they are just doing 50 in lane 1 waiting for the next tea break.

1200 of them are supposed to be in place covering the whole motorway network by the end of 2006.

Surely they cost broadly the same as a Police traffic car - so why not have one of those instead. Maybe the salary cost will be marginally lower, but cost of the vehicle it's equipment, and running costs will be pretty much the same. Surely the extra powers that the Police have would offset the marginally higher cost??

...or am I missing something??

robert.saunders said:
I think they make a lot of sense, espcially in the trial areas of the M42 - which if works well is the sort of motorway we will see a lot more of - see link for example:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1361.aspx
Yes they make a lot of sense in maintaining the motorway network apart from "passing off" of being real police patrols, they should all be done for impersonating a police officer!

Bobby Dazzler said:
Surely they cost broadly the same as a Police traffic car - so why not have one of those instead. Maybe the salary cost will be marginally lower, but cost of the vehicle it's equipment, and running costs will be pretty much the same. Surely the extra powers that the Police have would offset the marginally higher cost??

...or am I missing something??
Some people might think that the police should be concentrating their efforts on catching criminals, not retrieving bits of old tyre and headlamp glass from the carriageway and helping old ladies change to a spare wheel on the hard shoulder.

Aye, I agree that perhaps their driving could be better, judged on comments above, but hey, have we seen any speeding yet, or any other naughty?

As for the vehicles, yes they look very lurid and very Police-like, perhaps too much. There is a feeling that sometimes too much reflective strip and flashing light actually draws passing motorists towards the vehicles, thereby creating a new danger...

However, I must admit when I have seen the Traffic Officers stopped on the hard shoulder there aren't generally any queues of traffic going past, unlike what seems expected when a Police car stops with the dreaded rear reds/blues on, creating huge tailbacks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom