M25 junctions banned - including Heathrow T4 exit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a judicial review last year, the judgment was that it was not an offence to block the road when the demonstration is legitimate. This is why the police cannot arrest protesters just for blocking roads, the people being carted off must be suspected of another offence.
Ah that's very interesting, I wasn't aware and explains why the protesters couldn't just be carted away.

There was a judicial review last year, the judgment was that it was not an offence to block the road when the demonstration is legitimate. This is why the police cannot arrest protesters just for blocking roads, the people being carted off must be suspected of another offence.

What distinguishes a legitimate demonstration from an illegitimate one? Genuine question.

EDIT: found this:

'Britain’s most senior judges said it was right to acquit a group of protesters who blockaded the Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) arms fair in London in 2017.

“There should be a certain degree of tolerance to disruption to ordinary life, including disruption of traffic, caused by the exercise of the right to freedom of expression or freedom of peaceful assembly,” the majority ruling added.

“There must be an assessment of the facts in each individual case to determine whether the interference with article 10 or article 11 rights was ‘necessary in a democratic society’.” '

That's not exactly carte blanche for protesters to block roads at will, and not exactly an excuse for the police to let them do it unhindered.

Last edited:
That's not exactly carte blanche for protesters to block roads at will, and not exactly an excuse for the police to let them do it unhindered.

That's what I said way back in quote #49

“There should be a certain degree of tolerance to disruption to ordinary life, including disruption of traffic, caused by the exercise of the right to freedom of expression or freedom of peaceful assembly,” the majority ruling added.
‘The majority ruling’

That’ll be until one of them gets caught in a big traffic jam then.

‘The majority ruling’

That’ll be until one of them gets caught in a big traffic jam then.

Haha, yes indeed.

What distinguishes a legitimate demonstration from an illegitimate one?
Legitimate demonstration - protesting the arms industry

Illegitimate demonstration - home insulation protest organised by Extinction Rebellions Roger Hallam, a failed farmer who blames his inability to grow crops in Wales on climate change, and says whenever he looks up at the sky he sees only death.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Illegitimate demonstration - home insulation protest organised by Extinction Rebellions Roger Hallam, a failed farmer who blames his inability to grow crops in Wales on climate change, and says whenever he looks up at the sky he sees death. In my opinion.
Fixed that for you.

I thing it's a fine legal point.

Freedom-of-speech is more of a guiding principle rather than an American-style constitution amendment that trupms all other laws.

The CPS case was probably based on the fact that the protesters broke the law, and freedom-of-speech doesn't come into it because it's not a licence to break the law or overule Acts of Parliament.

What the judges said is in effect was that when the law conflicts with freedom-of-speech, each case needs to judged on its own merit, rather that automatically assuming that the law always takes precedence.

The CPS could have potentially pursued this case on the basis that in the circumstances the protesters' actions weren't justified; but they didn't do that, instead they simply provided evidence that the accused broke the law.

This reminds me of something I read back in the eighties, regarding an F1 driver who was caught speeding and was prosecuted for dangerous driving, but was acquitted after convincing the judge that in his hands and in the circumstances the driving did not amount to being 'dangerous'.

However, he was not convicted of the lesser offence of speeding, simply because the prosecution never prosecuted him for that offence... they assumed that the speed he was driving at (from memory ~180) will automatically get him a dangerous driving conviction. I can't remember who the driver was...

Fixed that for you.
A lesson in e-begging.

Here is a link to Roger Hallams website.

There are 3 links on the home page to his Patreon page.

Then we have Insulate Britains e-begging site and of course Extinction Rebellions e-begging masterpiece.

A lesson in e-begging.

Then we have Insulate Britains e-begging site and of course Extinction Rebellions e-begging masterpiece.

I try to avoid accessing sites like those, just in case "Big Brother" is watching and tars me with the same Dafty brush!

A lesson in e-begging.

What has any of that got to do with you being so arrogant that you belive that everyone will share your opinion on the world?

What has any of that got to do with you being so arrogant that you belive that everyone will share your opinion on the world?
Expressing a point of view does not denote arrogance. Other points of view exist. That is a given.

Reactions: m80

Illegitimate demonstration - home insulation protest organised by Extinction Rebellions Roger Hallam, a failed farmer who blames his inability to grow crops in Wales

Expressing a point of view does not denote arrogance. Other points of view exist. That is a given.
Doesn't sound like it

Doesn't sound like it
Whatever. I have a low opinion of these "environmental justice" (XR, Insulate Britain and anything to do with R Hallam) organisations that have popped up that just so happen to fully support the climate change narrative. In my opinion they are contrived and anything but grass roots.

Maybe you have an opinion or prefer to just shoot the messenger.

Whatever. I have a low opinion of these "environmental justice" (XR, Insulate Britain and anything to do with R Hallam) organisations that have popped up that just so happen to fully support the climate change narrative. In my opinion they are contrived and anything but grass roots.

Maybe you have an opinion or prefer to just shoot the messenger.
Yes I have an opinion.

https://www.architecture.com/-/medi...-VPC/Additional-Documents/GreenerHomespdf.pdf
IR may have a point altho its not the way to go about it. :(
In terms of M25 traffic jams the circular has managed to produce these on a regular basis for years without any intervention from protest groups for the simple reason it invariably generated increased traffic by its very existance.* Thus leading to the conundrum that most new "relief roads" simply allow drivers to reach the next traffic jam quicker.:rolleyes:

* M25 motorway - Wikipedia

We have a system where issues are debated in Parliament. MPs are elected by their constituents and represent them. It's called representatives democracy.

There are two issues with this, however.

The first is that getting legislation passed in Parliament is usually an elaborate process that requires a lot of hard work. Start a petition, get signatures, campaign for your MP to raise the issue in Parliament, get people in other constituents to campaign, etc.

The second is that with all the effort and hard work, it's a democracy, and you might still end-up with a minority view not supported by the majority.

But, there are quick fixes. The obvious one is terrorism, drop a few bombs and insist that your demands are met etc, the other is major disruptions to everyday life.

These are the solutions for the lazy who can't be bothered to do things the proper (and hard) way, and for those who know that the majority will never support them and there's no way they'll get their legislation to pass democratically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom