M27/M3 Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Not sure if this is just a circular, fact or fiction, but worth noting I guess and any incentive to drive slower is a license saver anyway.

An email I recieved:

I received a tip off about some filming that Hants
Police are doing for a television programme series from tomorrow (26th
September) for seven weeks.

If you use the M27 or the M3 this potentially affects you so please
proceed with caution and pass onto anyone who you feel might just
need to know. The program a BBC South commission called "Traffic Cops"
will be filmed covering the area from Ringwood concentrating on Ringwood
M27 up to M3 J9 and a team working the ringroad around Southampton
(Totton will have a unit working it alone), Cosham M27 stretch to
J5 of the M27 (Southampton Airport turn-off).

The fourth concentration Is working from Winchester Services covering M3 to
J10 M3 (Winchester South) using five unmarked cars, two Black Skoda 03
registration Octavias, an 05 plate dark red Mondeo and two Volvo saloon
cars.

The BBC unit are going to be based out of Southampton and will also
Be covering the armed police response unit and the Southampton Airport
Police Security / British Transport Police team.
The BBC team are in Citreon Picasso MPVs leased from Arriva.

To make it even more effective the Traffic police have authority from
Chief Constable to "work to rule" So instead of the laid
back approach to the usual Hants traffic police this will be a lot more
concentrated to make it effective filming.

Point noted, I shall be more careful on my trips "darn Sarf" for the next couple of month

Does this mean that Hampshire traffic might actually have to do some work now? I'm sure being seen as revenue collectors on national TV wouldn't look too good.

BBC's "Traffic Cops" has been mostly based in South Yorkshire so far, it's about time the southerners had some of the action! ;)

It has been confirmed on the local radio with the Police stating that they will be all over the county, not just concentrating on the motorways. They will be using the usual revenue collecting unmarked Octavia's, big Omega's, and Volvo's. So if you see a black Octavia coming up quickly in your mirror it may be time to say "Hello mum" and smile for the camera (dont know what colour the other cars are), I have seen the Octavia at 6am on a wet morning collecting a donation from a Golf driver on the M275.

Great,so theres more chance of being pulled - all for the sake of a TV programme..

esox said:
Great,so theres more chance of being pulled - all for the sake of a TV programme..
You always have the option of driving within the law you know :)

Right....where's those Belgian export plates? Time to polish up the outrageous French accent. :D

If the truth was known, they have come down south because they dont want any of that funny white stuff on the roads as it clashes with their lime green jackets, and when the white stuff appears it gets bloody cold. We havent had white stuff for so long down here I forget what its called. Cant have BBC camera crews catching cold.

And who mentioned speed limits!!!!! off with his head!

I got caught today - a black bloody octavia!

3 points 60 pound fine - m27 J8

Bastards!

Sanj said:

Bastards!

Oh no!

Well I am glad I posted if it helps anyone else.

How fast were you going and over what distance?

Sanj said:

Bastards!
Were the TV crew there - you might be on telly.......

Graham - I was actually speeding just before I got to the motorway - I was on my way towards the m275 on Bitterne Road West, I took 8 cars out and wondered why they were going so slow - obviously the octavia was in front. There is also a speed camera on that road - I always slow down....then speed up !

Anyway they filmed all this and were quite pissed off with my driving tactics. They decided to follow me and take me out on the motorway!

I was caught doing 44 in a 30mph zone
I was going up a hill, it was all very sunny and the sun was shining directly at me
I think they calculated the overall speed at around 1 mile...as they were following me out of the city.

I dont know if they were filming to be honest, although they did have a 10-15 inch camera mounted on the windscreen.

I got out of the car and felt just like a BMW driver!

M3 and M27 warning

Hope this is in the right place. I got the following warning from a friend tonight. If you are planning on using the M3 or the M27 over the next few weeks it may pay to exercise caution:

I received a tip off about some filming that Hants Police are doing for a television programme series from tomorrow (26th September) for seven weeks.

If you use the M27 or the M3 this potentially affects you so please proceed with caution and pass onto anyone who you feel might just need to know. The program a BBC South commission called "Traffic Cops" will be filmed covering the area from Ringwood concentrating on Ringwood M27 up to M3 J9 and a team working the ringroad around Southampton (Totton will have a unit working it alone), Cosham M27 stretch to J5 of the M27 (Southampton Airport turn-off). The fourth concentration is working from Winchester Services covering M3 to J10 M3 (Winchester South) using five unmarked cars, two Black Skoda 03 registration Octavias, an 05 plate dark red Mondeo and two Volvo saloon cars.

The BBC unit are going to be based out of Southampton and will also be covering the armed police response unit and the Southampton Airport Police Security / British Transport Police team.

The BBC team are in Citreon Picasso MPVs leased from Arriva.

To make it even more effective the Traffic police have authority from Chief Constable to "work to rule" So instead of the laid back approach to the usual Hants traffic police this will be a lot more concentrated to make it effective filming.

threads merged.

Sanj, I'm not being petty, and I'm sorry you were caught by the cash collectors, but unless they have moved it overnight, the M275 goes into Portsmouth from the M27. You are more than welcome to come to sunny Pompey and view the new white elephant on the Gunwharf, that hasnt cost the ratepayers a penny (local council tax goes up 20% next year to pay for it). The BBC were in a marked Volvo in Goldsmith Avenue in Portsmouth at 4pm filming something in the Sheperds Crook pub. Should be entertaining for someone.

Sanj said:
Graham - I was actually speeding just before I got to the motorway - I was on my way towards the m275 on Bitterne Road West, I took 8 cars out and wondered why they were going so slow - obviously the octavia was in front. There is also a speed camera on that road - I always slow down....then speed up !

Anyway they filmed all this and were quite pissed off with my driving tactics. They decided to follow me and take me out on the motorway!

I was caught doing 44 in a 30mph zone
I was going up a hill, it was all very sunny and the sun was shining directly at me
I think they calculated the overall speed at around 1 mile...as they were following me out of the city.

I dont know if they were filming to be honest, although they did have a 10-15 inch camera mounted on the windscreen.

I got out of the car and felt just like a BMW driver!

You always feel gutted don't you! :eek:

FOr that, the 3 points and small fine wasn't so bad.

Someone let me know when this is going to be aired, will be funny (sorry Sanj).

Pietre said:
Sanj, I'm not being petty, and I'm sorry you were caught by the cash collectors, but unless they have moved it overnight, the M275 goes into Portsmouth from the M27. You are more than welcome to come to sunny Pompey and view the new white elephant on the Gunwharf, that hasnt cost the ratepayers a penny (local council tax goes up 20% next year to pay for it). The BBC were in a marked Volvo in Goldsmith Avenue in Portsmouth at 4pm filming something in the Sheperds Crook pub. Should be entertaining for someone.

Fortunately the mast is visible from the M27 so no need to stray into Pompey!

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Ouch that really smarts. Any contributions gratefully received. I like your location, a true 'Ampshire 'Og. We are thinking of declaring independance and being an island state with offshore tax benefits (i wish). The old film Passport to Pimlico comes to mind.

" So instead of the laid back approach to the usual Hants traffic police this will be a lot more concentrated to make it effective filming"

Yes - very laid back. They have abandoned any prosecution that might be difficult, or more importantly, expensive. Two years ago, when a lorry pulled a U-turn on the A303 near Andover. It nearly killed me - and he ended up with the vehicle in the embankment, covered in soil nearly up to the windscreen.

Hants police offered him prosecution or driver training.

So there is a HGV driver out there with a clean licence, who occasionally forgets he isn't driving a Transit.

But he has had 'driver training.'

And the Police saved a few £.

And now they're on TV, doing a great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom