M271 codes help needed

Discussion in 'Engine' started by shorty, Sep 20, 2011.

1. shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 , Ducati 999 , mr2
    Hi all
    My 200 k with the 271 engine is giving me some problems at the moment , and I m hoping some one can help me
    Yesterday the engine light came on wilst the car was being driven ,it didnt affect the running or performance of the car . The light was still on this morning and the car was driving fine for about 6 miles then when pulling out from a junction it lost power and there was a loud booming type noise like on of the induction pipes had come off . After restarting this noise was gone and the car was once again driving fine , though the light was still on .
    I scanned the car with STAR at lunch time and had 4 codes stored inthe engine ECU , they where
    200B-001 left cam hall sensor , no signal
    200b-002 left cam hall sensor , signal implausable
    201b-001 misfiring on cylinder 1
    2014-002 charge pressure is too high .

I cleared all these codes and the code 200b-001 reaparied , then the code 200b-002 code . The car was running fine .
    On a quick test drive the car once again lost power and satered making the same booming type noise . The code 2014-002 appeared then .
    When I got back and the car was ideling a missfire started and the got the misfire code 201b-001.
    When I restarted the car the codes for the misfire and charge pressure changed to stored and the car ran ok again .

It seams that I need a new hall sensor , but would this be causing the other codes , or is there now several different faults with the car that are unrelated . Any help or sugestions would be great .
    regards
    Steve

2. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    This maybe a stretched timing chain. The live data needs to be checked firstly. Fault codes mean bugger all without live data to back them up.

3. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thanks for the reply Olly

I think I have found the cause of the misfire , oil was spilt around the plug when the car was topped op a few weeks back .
    The timing chain has been changed , it was done by the previous owner , though Im not sure when. I do know thatthe cars milage is 115000 miles and i have owned it since 86000 miles . Il get some live data reading tomorrow when Il have some more time .
    Should I also check the timing marks to see If the either cam is out ?

4. BlackC55

Car:
    I doubt split oil. You probably have a leak. They are common for it. RC gaskets probably.

If you continue to have issues it maybe with checking the timing marks too. They also suffer with poor compression due to build up on the back of the valves. Take her for a thrash at high rpm with Shell V power and injector cleaner.

5. BlackC55

Car:
    Also all 4 of those codes could cause the engine light to come on. Erasing them and seeing what comes backs not ideal. They all MAY mean something.

6. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Cheers again Olly ,

Il check the gasket then aswell when Im checking the timing chain . Im gonna order a new hall sensor in the morning , Il get some injector cleaner as well and see what that does .
    Im still unsure as to why I got the charge presure code

7. BlackC55

Car:
    That maybe an old code from ages ago. Who knows!!

8. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I taught that when I cleared it , but it came back when I test drove the car with and it started making the booming noise

9. BlackC55

Car:
    Check for oil in the engine loom too. Seeing a few 271's with this now.

10. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I will do Olly ,
    thanks so much for you replys !

11. BlackC55

Car:
    Anytime. I maybe able to suggest some more things to try but I'm knackered and been deep in fixing MB's all day. Live data is the key.

1 person likes this.
  12. horgantrevor

horgantrevor MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
    as you may know the 271 engine loom can get oil from cam sensor 's and push oil all the way to the ecu

check lamda sensor for oil contamination as this is the lowest point in loom

also the single timing chain it can cause problems i know you said it was changed buy are you sure

i had one in my hand last week when you hold it flat it is only to have a deflection of a cm or so this was like a banana it had stretched so much

check for air leaks and all hoses

keep us posted

1 person likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Cheers Horgan , I will check the lamda sensors for oil as well . I'm gonna check the chain also . I had a look at the pipes and I could not see any cracks or feel any air leaks . I will post back when I get some progress and hopefully this can help others if they get the same problems .

14. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ok heres an update , I ordered a new cam sensor and fitted it to day . The car started frist time but the light was still on , so I tried restarting the engine then it wouldnt start .
    I then lifted the rocker cover to check the timing and I discovered its sliped on the intake cam by a few teeth . The teeth on the cam sprockt have been mostly broken off . It looking like il need a new cam sprocket and if im right there about 800 pounds .

15. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Heres some pics of the cams ,

Attached Files:

16. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Active Member

Car:
    S210 320cdi
    Ouch! that is nasty nasty wear.

And it is wear, the tips of the teeth are missing because of extreme wear, rather than momentary duress.
    It suggests hard use, or infrequent oil changes, or cheap all - perhaps even all of these.
    Usually the chain is shot and the gears are acceptable btw. Not always though.

Yes, they cost a fortune because of the complication of the variable timing.

17. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The inler cam has the most wear , it looks like the teeth have broke , as some of the teeth are less wore . The car suffered some failure before I bought it with its cam chain , though I dont know to what extent , im thinking is was a broke chain . This could of been what stripped most of the inlet cam teeth .
    I have always serviced the car on time and with Mobil 1 oil and its not bee abused or driven hard with me . The chain seems to be ok with very little slack

18. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ive priced the cam gear , and dronsfield have qouted me 150 pounds plus vat . I also priced from MB there 710 euro , but I can buy through work and avail of the 40% discount and I can loose the vat , it should be less than 400 euro than .
    Im think im gonna get the gear new .
    I have had a second look at the chain as well , and I can find a lot of slack in the chain when I tug at it . This must of been the inital cause of my problems .

19. OP
    OP
    shorty

shorty MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Fixed

Ive gotten the car running again :bannana:

I had to change both cam sprockets and chain ,

the inlet cam sprocket had almost all its teeth striped , and had jumped 2 teeth , the exhaust sprocket had 4 broken teeth . Luckly I didnt bend any valves .

Id like to thank all that gave me advice ,

cheers

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  20. Paul richard

Paul richard New Member

Car:
    Clk200
    Hi shorty can u remember if the cam sprockets are keyed as I am just about to change both mine thanks

Tags: