m271 engine is it that bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlswindon

Car
mercedes e200k estate
hi everyone just wondered if the m271 engine is as bad as some people make out on here i just brought one the actual mecanics seem to be sweet as a nut but the further im digging the more im getting cold feet

There are quite a few posts on this forum regarding reliability issues with MB 4-cyl petrol engines in general, and with the M271 in particular (notably timing chain issues).

Said that, my 2006 C180K is equipped with the M271 engine and it never missed a beat during the past 6 years.

Also, the M271 was introduced around 2002, and I would expect that newer engines will have some of the original issues ironed-out, though I don't have any specific details.

mine is a 2003 so it is an early one 109000 on it and it is like silk just feel i kind of brought the wrong car i just assumed all mercedes engines were quality built

And last, keep in mind that if things do go wrong, a 4-cyl petrol engine will almost always be cheaper to fix than a Diesel or a 6-Cyl - ease of access to components on a small upright engine fitted inside a large engine bay being one element that reduces labour costs.

Thats true it does look easy to work on

no i guess not like i said it seems good i just cant see mercedes putting substandard parts in like weak chains etc

I think you will find that modern Mercs are susceptible to mechanical failure just like any other car, with some models or engines being more reliable than others.

Even setting aside the issues with cars made during the dark Chrysler-Daimler years, the constant pressure on manufacturers to be first-to-market with new technologies and to continuously reduce emission levels means that they have to rush out new and complex designs.

Most of the technology on cars today would have taken several more years before being approved for aviation use for example.

Last edited:
The 271 engine is very good and proven to be very reliable. Some of the early ones suffered with valves burning out prematurely but not much else goes wrong with them.

thanks for your view jaymanek and markjay as with everything you always hear the bad in things as im new to the brand i just been researching aeverything i can checking and double checking everything you guys say as you lot are the experts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom