M271 & M272 issues what costs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
Hi,

As some of you may know, we are looking at maybe getting a convertible, and then comes the question of a 200 kompressor (m271) or the V6 (m272)..... and their attendant problems. (Been looking at 2005- 2007 ish CLKs or maybe an SLK)

No we don’t want a V8 (got one already) and don’t want to spend a fortune on a newer car ( plus VED £££) ... is 2006 the cut off for cheaper VED?

Main Questions:-

1. Is there always a warning - rattles or CEL before they go?

2. Would an annual visual check during service detect early wear on original parts?
(I’ve read that a recommendation to check at 60k then every 20k)

3. Were all the issues fixed by 2008? (Seen engine number ‘range’)

4. If one bought a good, well running example of either, what are the approx cost of a preventative fix on them, and are the new parts made to a better spec to avoid issues in the future? (Assuming the valves haven’t said hello to pistons) (how much if they did?)

Cost for M271 cam sprocket repair at an indie?

Cost for M272 Balancer Shaft repair?

5. If there is a record of this work being already carried out, when were the “better” quality parts introduced? (Avoiding double remedy)

I realise that if you’ve been ‘bitten’ by these issues, then it was 100% failure to you, but also interested to hear from indies as to what they think the real failure rate may be?
(5% was one figure floated on my SLK/CLK thread)

Very few fail, I have been told by my indie fixer the EML comes on. The M272 repairs are I believe are are around £2K

We have 2 x cars with the M271 engine. 2003 and 2005 with no issues so far. I was talking to a well respected Indie about prophylactic replacement of the chain etc. His response was 1. They don't all go. 2. You usually get plenty of warning with noises well before they actually fail. 3. Frequent oil changes make it less likely so check the history carefully.

They don't all go.

After 5 years running an M271 that's the conclusion I've come to. It isn't a very uncommon problem because we do hear about it on this forum but neither can it be every M271 that fails or we would hear even more about it. As an attempt at cheap insurance I change the oil every 5000 miles.

It's the nature of the internet that makes us worry about so called common faults. The steering lock failures are another undoubted weakness. The only insurance I can take on that problem is not to over use the lock where that can be avoided.

Even if you don't have a failure this business of feeling that you have to treat the car with kid gloves rather spoils the MB experience compared to say a W201 or W124.

I don’t treat my CLK kid gloves, if required I wind it up to5/60000 RPM when overtaking

60,000rpm!!! What engine is in that car?? :D

I have a C350 with the M272 engine in the dodgy range, currently on almost 100,000 miles, I don't treat it with kid gloves, and so far all is well. If it does go at some point, well I'll just get it fixed.

After 5 years running an M271 that's the conclusion I've come to. It isn't a very uncommon problem because we do hear about it on this forum but neither can it be every M271 that fails or we would hear even more about it. As an attempt at cheap insurance I change the oil every 5000 miles.

It's the nature of the internet that makes us worry about so called common faults. The steering lock failures are another undoubted weakness. The only insurance I can take on that problem is not to over use the lock where that can be avoided.

Even if you don't have a failure this business of feeling that you have to treat the car with kid gloves rather spoils the MB experience compared to say a W201 or W124.
Very true,another weak spot for the w204 is the rear subframe rusting through on cars as new as 2012,you pay your money and take your chance-good luck.

Me too, my CLK has the 3 litre M272 version with 80K with many short trips and is whisper quiet on start up, will fix if it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom