M271 - P0020 Error Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wells

Car
Mercedes
Hello all,

Have never posted on a forum before, however I have a CLK200 with the 1.8 M271 engine.
When driving one day in traffic I noticed a shaking of my engine, almost like it was missing, after a short while it would continue to do this more frequently and the EML light came on. Showing the code: P0020 camshaft actuator open bank 2. Also I had service light B come on. And numerous other codes which related to the chain when put onto a LAUNCH code reader
I proceeded to change the oil and filter which were not in the greatest of states.
After code reading/erasing the code numerous times and reading the other threads. I came to the conclusion to change the timing chain due to it being possibly stretched. Changed this still exactly the same however the only code now reading is the actuator open bank 2 cam.
So I proceeded in changing the actuator itself on the exhaust side, which is expensive, however after doing this it is still the same.
I have changed the inlet cam magnet but not the exhaust cam magnet, which I am going to change tomorrow.
However it seems to be worse when the vehicle is warm and juddering only occurs at low revs when in drive and reverse, when juddering it will stop if I move it too neutral.
I am considering paying Mercedes to diagnose the problem shortly as I am baffled to what it is. And hate having my car with an EML light on.
If anyone has any ideas or could possibly help me I would much appreciate it.

As above.

It's not enough to replace the chain, its the timing chain gear itself (sprockets and tensioner) that fails and need replacing as well.

The tensioner and sprockets have been changed, still getting the same code. P0020 Camshaft Actuator Open Circuit Bank 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom