M271 - Rattly tappets ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well its still rattling but no where near as much , no codes have come up and everything seems to work .
This morning it didnt change gearwhen i pulled away and just kept revving , looks like when i stuck it in drive i hit the lever to the left as it was fine when i hit it to the right and changed OK from then on

Still rattling - ive given up on it now as the cost of fixing outweighs its value

Drive it til it goes bang then scrap it , i did do an Italian tune up today - ie drive it in manual and keep it in 3rd or 4th and the revs above 3000RPM , Tappet noise is completely gone after 12 miles of ragging it , im sure it will come back but it goes prove its a tappet . flooring it in third on the flappy paddles does give some real good acceleration

Best idea Dave, drive it and expect the worse but hope for the best.

SUCCESS , This mornings start up resulted in no rattle , nothing , nada , zilch , zero .Recon my mate who works for BMW and said to try this deserves a pint. if it ever comes back it gets another ragging

excellent work, lets hope thats it!!!
out of interest has the car had regular oil changes or been a bit neglected by the previous owner? thick old oil is like a grim reaper to an engine ...

anyway fingers crossed for you..

excellent work, lets hope thats it!!!
out of interest has the car had regular oil changes or been a bit neglected by the previous owner? thick old oil is like a grim reaper to an engine ...

anyway fingers crossed for you..
Very much neglected , im a glutton for lost causes , tiny tattle this evening thats completely gone once warm , i can live with that

Rattle has still not reappeared - in fact since the weathers warmed up the half a second timing chain slight rattle on fire up has also gone - in fact its running extremely well so i guess its about to grenade itself .
I love this car but hate the M271 . It must be reading all the horror stories on the web , had i not id have no idea - ignorance is truly bliss

Sometimes just best to drive and enjoy and forget about the horror stories.

Rattle has still not reappeared - in fact since the weathers warmed up the half a second timing chain slight rattle on fire up has also gone - in fact its running extremely well so i guess its about to grenade itself .
I love this car but hate the M271 . It must be reading all the horror stories on the web , had i not id have no idea - ignorance is truly bliss
I have this ticking noise as well, but I thought it was the injectors just clicking away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom