M271 timing chain dimensions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lyserman

Car
Shanks's Pony (for now)
Apologies if this has been answered before but I could not find the correct search term to get an answer.
My 203 has now done 98,000 miles so I intend to check the timing chain for signs of stretching.
Does anyone have the dimensions of a new chain so I can compare it to mine and also the tolerance for when a new chain is required?

Thanks
Tony

hmm... just change it plus tensioner, it's unofficially recommended to do every 40k...

I was thinking of doing it anyway but I have no idea if it had been done before I bought the car. I will measure the new chain when it arrives.
I assume genuine MB will be the way to go.

Tony

Does anyone know if the MB chain comes as a one piece unit or with a rivet link?

Tony

They come with a rivet link and you need a special tool to pein the rivet over.

Thanks for that info.
Being a bike rider too, I already have a heavy duty chain splitter/riveter.

get a genuine MB chain , there around 150 IIRC

I am intending to, as they are only a few £ more than from a non MB supplier (£139 from Inchcape).

Tony

The timing chain has just been ordered from MB and if my car is available this weekend I may get it changed.
OEM only £25 more than aftermarket.

Tony

Just for reference, how much would merc dealer and merc indi charge for replacing the timing chain in the W203/204 1.8 Kompressor engines?

The timing chain has just been ordered from MB and if my car is available this weekend I may get it changed.
OEM only £25 more than aftermarket.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I know this is an older thread but I am just considering changing my Timing Chain on my R171 SLK 200K.

Timing Chain holding tools seem to be readily avaiable now, but I cannot see a correct chain riveting tool for the 271 engine.

Can you tell me how you did yours please and if you managed to find the proper peening tool.

Regards:thumb:

Dennis

I didn't change mine in the end as it was still fine.
But I still have the new chain, tensioner, seal, chain holding tool and splitter riveter tool somewhere.
If you haven't bought any if it yet then I can save you some money.

Tony

Hi I am interested in this. My Merc C Class 180k 70k makes a grrr... noise cold starts in the morning. My indi offered to look inside and see if the chain and sprockets were worn.

If it was - order the parts and off we go.

I see Febi make a kit with no links FEBI BILSTEIN 30316 all guides and the lower chain. I was wondering about DIY. I am a rooky mechanic and I think that is not for me. I would need an experienced lab partner!

I want to keep the car.

Do I change the top and bottom, just the top?
Is there anything else I should ask the Indi about replacing along the way?
Any one had this done, ideas on how long it should take?
Thanks.

Who makes the chain for MB?

IIRC the 271 engine is single row - what's the dimensions, I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy an indentical chain for a fraction of the cost.

The timing gears are the problem though - although I seem to recall an engineering company offering an alternative nowadays (?)

I didn't change mine in the end as it was still fine.
But I still have the new chain, tensioner, seal, chain holding tool and splitter riveter tool somewhere.
If you haven't bought any if it yet then I can save you some money.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your offer. Could you email me please on denthetrumpetATgmail.com (use conventional AT sign) and I can communicate in more detail with you.

Regards

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom