M272 balance shaft anomaly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foxsimon

Car
2007 CLS 350 CGI
Can anyone offer any solutions.

I have 2007 CLS 350 CGI, 68k miles. For some time now my engine warning light, while intermittent initially, is now on permanently. Fault codes are 0710, 1208, 1915 & 1200. As an aside; originally had issues with two of the cam magnets so had all four replaced. Also, checking the timing marks line up behind the cam magnet cover at 305 seems to show a marginal timing discrepancy. All the above having been said the car starts fine, there are no untoward engine noises or issues at start or at idle and the car drives absolutely fine.

Would appear to be the classic early signs of the balance shaft issue. However my quandary is that my engine number is past the point where modifications were made 272 ........489793. My question therefore is, could these symptoms, also given the 0710 & 1915 seemingly erroneous codes, be caused by something else; for example one of the new cam magnets being faulty, faulty cam adjustor solenoids etc.??

Thanks for this, however I am aware of the issues and associated engine number thresholds outlined here and in many other places on the web. As outlined previously, my specific quandary is that I am experiencing the code and warning light issues when my engine number is PAST the point when modifications were made.

OP, Hi and welcome. I don't know the answer but here is my experience. Some time ago I was looking at a car with this engine and became aware of some of the potential issues you discuss.

I spent a fair bit of time researching using the engine number and it flagged up that the engine was one with potential problems. I discussed it with my MB nidi, he ran the engine number through whatever process he uses and disagreed with my findings . I did not go ahead with the purchase for other reasons so the only conclusion I can come to is that the engine number 'search' is not necessarily fool proof.

A 90 degree v6 is always going to be inherently unbalanced [ 90 degree to make it modular with the contemporary V8 production ] THE NEXT GENERATION WAS 60 DEGREES FOR THAT REASON] Do you know the service history/ownership profile of the car? A poorly serviced car whose owner used "all the revs" will always wear its timing gear prematurely compared to a well serviced conservatively driven one. I would suspect a worn/stretched timing chain.

As Grober says ^^^ IIRC the V8 version has the sprocket run by the cam chain but there is no balance shaft attached to it, the V8 balances out itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom