M272 codes (balance shaft replaced)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingpin!

Car
R350 (W251) & R350 (V251)
My balance shaft was replaced by the dealer approximately 4 years ago (very expensive!). After that the car has done very few miles and we "over-service" the car and follow the scheduled services with the workshop.

Now the engine light is illuminated with codes P1208 and P0016.

I will have to assume that the new and replaced balance shaft must be in pristine condition so I wonder, what can cause the codes to show up and are there any easy things to try or is it "visit workshop"?

Thanks!

Depends how much was replaced at the rebuild. Could be a stretched timing chain or worn guides/tensioner.

I have to check and see, I know it was a lot of parts listed on the documents I got with the job.

The parts you mention (stretched timing chain and worn guides/tensioner) can those parts be replaced without taking the engine out of the car (kind of "quick" fixes)?

I have to check and see, I know it was a lot of parts listed on the documents I got with the job.

The parts you mention (stretched timing chain and worn guides/tensioner) can those parts be replaced without taking the engine out of the car (kind of "quick" fixes)?
I think so but lots of bits in front of the engine --radiator /grille etc might need removed for access to the tensioners- just the chain might be OK in situ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom