M272 engine in a viano issues timing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulmackay

Car
w168,w202,w203,w210,w638,w639
Wondering if any of you can help? I have a 2008 viano 3.5 petrol. It developed the issue where it couldnt read the cam sensors on the right bank. Balance shaft i hear you say...well stripped the engine down to a point of checking...balance shaft and vvt cogs seem ok...no visible wear....replaced the timing chain. In setting the timing...it is still out 5 degrees on the right bank...to get the markers to line up with the visual inspection holes and get them dead centre. Any suggestions or am i missing something on doing the timing...or is this an acceptable variable? Also am so close to giving up...ongoing for a long time...thought it might be easier just to replace the engine...do any of the other 272 fit the van or is it just the 979 variation? any knowledge and help appreciated. Thanks

When checking the timing have you the slid in the tensioner guide on the left side?

Have you also put the chain tension in?

Can you definitely guarantee that the timing marks are correctly marked up on the cams and crank?

Are you definitely sure that the impulse wheels are in their correct locations?
ER = intake right
AR = exhaust right
AL = exhaust left
EL = Intake left

Ive built a fair few M272 and M273 engines and find that only after the guide and tensioner is in that the right bank aligns correctly with the cam sensor holes.

Have you also put the chain tension in?

Can you definitely guarantee that the timing marks are correctly marked up on the cams and crank?

Are you definitely sure that the impulse wheels are in their correct locations?
ER = intake right
AR = exhaust right
AL = exhaust left
EL = Intake left

Ive built a fair few M272 and M273 engines and find that only after the guide and tensioner is in that the right bank aligns correctly with the cam sensor holes.
yeh all done....tensioner in aswell...rotate engine and timing mark in the right exhaust is not dead centre in the hole it is still visible but is not central. my question is, is that ok?if i rotate engine 5 degrees less then the mark is centralised...is 5 degrees to much to be out?

Hi Paul,

I tool the cam sensors out of my engine today and checked the timing at 305 degrees and the timing markings are central on both left and right banks.

I think something must be out on yours.

Right bank (Drivers side)
IMG_20210121_155209.jpg

Left Bank (Passenger side)
IMG_20210121_155235.jpg

Hi Paul,

I tool the cam sensors out of my engine today and checked the timing at 305 degrees and the timing markings are central on both left and right banks.

I think something must be out on yours.

Right bank (Drivers side)
View attachment 107869

Left Bank (Passenger side)
View attachment 107870
thats great, thanks for that.....any ideas where to go from here?

is your engine in or out of the car?

Are you able to post any photos of the timing marks on the cams and crank?

engine still in the car....whats left of it lol...will get some photos tomorrow and post them up

thanks for all your help....however....just binned the engine and bought a second hand one.....could not get the timing to line up...nightmare!! So now put a new unit in and running sweet as a nut :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom