M273 engine question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pekay

Car
vw
Hello all!, can anyone give a definitive answer on this engine in the S 500 and CLS 550 earlier models 2005 - 2008, i've used the search facility on here with regards to the Idler gear issues with the early M273 engine, most answers link back to the website MB medic, there is a list published on there with the models affected but the two models I mention aren't on there, despite reading other reviews stating that they could be affected??, I only want to know as both models are included in my current shortlist along with the CLS 500(M113). I suppose I could simply ring MB for VIN numbers and check against the engine serial numbers, but would be easier if I knew this was one issue NOT to worry about when looking!!, thanks in anticipation for any tips and advice and apologies if i've failed to pick up on a glaringly obvious post somewhere on here.( it is early on a Sunday and i had a few last night...LOL!!)

It’s my understanding that the issue applies to all M273 examples, up to a certain engine number (which I can’t find offhand). It was fixed in 2008-ish though I guess it may be a bit patchy as to which cars got built with the old engines and which the new updated engine.

It’s my understanding that the issue applies to all M273 examples, up to a certain engine number (which I can’t find offhand). It was fixed in 2008-ish though I guess it may be a bit patchy as to which cars got built with the old engines and which the new updated engine.
Mmmm! cheers! that makes sense from all the reports i've read, guess i'll be checking engine numbers on anything before i travel to view

You could also try phoning Wayne Gates servicing, as they seem from past threads to be experienced in fixing the issue. They might be able to give an indication of cost that you could use to buy with knowledge. Not every engine will have the fault, so you could always take a gamble, negotiate accordingly, and be ready to repair it if it happens.

Contact Us - Wayne Gates - Mercedes Benz Servicing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom