M276 oil filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
In case this hasn't been posted before, anyone with an M276 engine should be aware of the consequences of not using the correct filter.

Crazy bit of detail design on MB's part that the engine can be completely wrecked by using the filter from the previous engine version.

358805d1500146124-2013-glk-350-engine-failure-oil-filter-photo555.jpg

If you match the engine code to filter you cant go wrong can you?

The M276 60 Degree V6 [ no balancer shaft required :thumb:] engine was a joint development with Chrysler [ their version is the Pentastar V6] maybe explains the change in oilway technology?

Eek, something else to worry about when I put my M276 car in for its service. How can I know that MB are using the right filter? Of course they'll insist that they have.

Puts me in mind of the time many years ago when I had my BMW 520 serviced by a main dealer. The car didn't run correctly at high speed and when I checked it over I saw that the fuel filter had been installed the wrong way round. I returned to the dealership where they put my car into the workshop to be checked. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the filter. After much insistence I managed to persuade them to let me show them what was wrong. In the workshop I pointed to the large arrow on the filter that was pointing towards the fuel tank, so opposite to the flow. The foreman and service manager still insisted that it was right, despite the arrow. They couldn't explain what the arrow was for. It took a junior technician who checked the manual to bravely tell them that they were wrong and I was right. The filter had been modified for that year. Reluctantly they put it right, but with no apology - just excuses. That was my last BMW.

Last twice I have been into Mercedes for an oil filter for my M271 they brought out the wrong one - despite me giving them the chassis number and saying it was for an M271.
The correct one even has M271 as the first bit of the part number!
Wouldn't trust them to do anything right.

If you pull out the new style filter and then proceed to fit the old style one you need to step away from the spanners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom