M3 Driver gets his rightful dues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem is actually caused by middle lane hogs who won't move into the underused left lane, thus not allowing fast lane driver's the room to yield to faster traffic approaching from behind.

The speed limit in the fast lane, since someone asked, is about 90-95-ish in my experience.

95 ish mph is way too fast, if you get cought doing 95 ish by an undercover cop you would get stoped and risk the chance of facing court also if you get cought doing 100+mph you would go court straight away!!

Speed limit in the overtaking lane is 85max, but I highly doubt everybody follows that, most people in the United Kingdom go above that speed anyway!

Usually when I hit the M-ways I cruise in the Mid lane at 75-80mph and still see cars go flying past...

Usually when I hit the M-ways I cruise in the Mid lane at 75-80mph and still see cars go flying past...

At the risk of crossing one of Glojo's maxims (" never ever criticise someone's driving"!) I hope you don't usually cruise in the middle lane, at whatever speed;)

@renault12ts

The speed of the fast lane is faster than the middle lane, so if you're doing 80mph and you see me in your mirror approaching fast, move over! :)

I always see a queue of cars in the "fast lane" with some old fart sitting there doing 70mph which is normally the same speed as the cars in the middle lane. If you're scared to drive faster or your car can't go faster, MOVE OVER!

If you think it's cool to touch the breaks when someone is already upset with you for hogging the road, then it wouldn't supprise me if you told me you have been beaten up a few times for doing it! :)

If you think it's cool to touch the breaks when someone is already upset with you for hogging the road, then it wouldn't supprise me if you told me you have been beaten up a few times for doing it! :)

The breaks thing is a pretty silly thing to do, when I've been out on the motorway in lorries and vans, I've had a few people stuck behind me in the outside lane (despite me flying along) who have then pulled in front of me in lane 2 and slammed on their breaks to show their displeasure at being held up.

Another old chestnut is having some fool limping along at 40, eventually you overtake then, then they get the hump that they've been overtaken by a van or a truck, so they speed up and overtake, then go back to limping along...

Speed limit in the overtaking lane is 85max........

Hmmmmmmmm. I thought the speed limit was 70.

No doubt you mean that 85 is a discreet enough speed to pass traffic without attracting attention.....

As the faster you travel, the more likely it is that you will be travelling faster than any Police cars, I would suggest that 120mph is better still.... after all, if your driving skills are up to travelling at that speed, your 20:20 vision will ensure you see any Police cars ahead of you in plenty of time to slow down. After all, you wouldn't be travelling too fast to be able to stop in the distance you see clear....

Actually, please ignore that paragraph. I hadn't thought of unmarked police cars.

If you ask an Italian the speed limit, he will merely enquire how fast your Ferrari can go.

If you own an AMG in Saudi Arabia, you are probably a cousin of the Sultan, and can go as fast as you want.

What's the betting that both the Italian Ferrari driver, and the Arab in his AMG, are both posting on a forum somewhere, about a p&*& in a BMW M3 who was 3 inches from their tail.....

:devil:

At the risk of crossing one of Glojo's maxims (" never ever criticise someone's driving"!) I hope you don't usually cruise in the middle lane, at whatever speed;)

Dont act like you dont do it, everybody does it mate lol. I do cruise on the m-ways in the mid lane at 75-80mph to keep up with the trafic infront of me. I'm not going on the left lane with the lorries doing 50mph all the way!

Obviously when the left lane is nearly empty I do tend to go over but most of the time lorries are there doing 50mph! :(

Hmmmmmmmm. I thought the speed limit was 70.

No doubt you mean that 85 is a discreet enough speed to pass traffic without attracting attention.....

As the faster you travel, the more likely it is that you will be travelling faster than any Police cars, I would suggest that 120mph is better still.... after all, if your driving skills are up to travelling at that speed, your 20:20 vision will ensure you see any Police cars ahead of you in plenty of time to slow down. After all, you wouldn't be travelling too fast to be able to stop in the distance you see clear....

Actually, please ignore that paragraph. I hadn't thought of unmarked police cars.

If you ask an Italian the speed limit, he will merely enquire how fast your Ferrari can go.

If you own an AMG in Saudi Arabia, you are probably a cousin of the Sultan, and can go as fast as you want.

What's the betting that both the Italian Ferrari driver, and the Arab in his AMG, are both posting on a forum somewhere, about a p&*& in a BMW M3 who was 3 inches from their tail.....

:devil:

I went past a police car doing 80mph in the overtaking lane they never said anything :)

Everybody on here goes above the speed limit so don't start acting like your Mr Law and follow the speed limit!

It is not the fast lane or the overtaking lane, it is the BMW lane, as this story shows....

The other day I was cruising along as usual, coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I could not believe that the volume of traffic DID NOT slow down for me AT ALL, as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway!

At least the driver of the car behind me recognised his mistake and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane.

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane, and posing along at 110 mph., enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him that he should not be in the BMW lane of my motorway, and to get out of my way. Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out again behind me! He also tried to keep up with me, and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I have to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on. (They're not free points either - they're £50 each and I was only allowed 3.). But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me!

See now, THATS the sort of respect you get when you own and drive a BMW!

It is not the fast lane or the overtaking lane, it is the BMW lane, as this story shows....

The other day I was cruising along as usual, coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I could not believe that the volume of traffic DID NOT slow down for me AT ALL, as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway!

At least the driver of the car behind me recognised his mistake and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane.

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane, and posing along at 110 mph., enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him that he should not be in the BMW lane of my motorway, and to get out of my way. Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out again behind me! He also tried to keep up with me, and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I have to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on. (They're not free points either - they're £50 each and I was only allowed 3.). But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me!

See now, THATS the sort of respect you get when you own and drive a BMW!

Oldy but goody. Actually, though it pains me to agree with Clarkson, I think the BMW in this joke should now be exchanged for Audi - saw an example almost identical to this on the m'way last night - just missing the arrest part, unfortunately!

Haven't seen a badly driven new 3 series for a while, though there are still a few idiots around in oder ones. Of course, when I had my 3 series, it was entirely different and I was a model driver....:eek:

Always good to hear!! :D

Tailgaters - should get 12 month ban. Far more dangerous than speeding on an empty carriageway!!

I agree with this comment, i have a similar thing happen one night after work, I was being tailgated by a BMW who was clearly trying to get me to race him, I left him to it, I didnt apply my breaks, i stayed at 30, i also thought he may have been an undercover police car.

as we approached 2 lanes he over took me and was gone.

its a silly thing to do, if you were to emergency break, the fool behind you would cause you and your car some harm!

I went past a police car doing 80mph in the overtaking lane they never said anything :)

But... as i already said.....

"No doubt you mean that 85 is a discreet enough speed to pass traffic without attracting attention..... "

Everybody on here goes above the speed limit so don't start acting like your Mr Law and follow the speed limit!

Try wearing a different pair of pants tomorrow.... the ones you have on today must be too tight.

My turn today, chap and his spouse in a black Vectra seemed to think I was in his way.

I'm in Lane 3 with lorries filling up Lanes 1 and 2 on the M1, so nowhere to move to get out of his way.

He sped up, got too close so a tap on the brakes...

Vectra man then has a wobble towards the crash barrier.

Seeing a break in the traffic, I darted into Lane 2 and provided a single digit salute to wave him on his way.

The behaviour was repeated for the rest of the traffic in Lane 3, charge up behind them and bully them out of the way.

He then moderated his behaviour - I assumed the passenger had words... Until we we got to the M18 turn off.

I'd sat behind him for the rest of the way, at a safe distance seeing what he'd do next...

Vectra Man went into the lane to leave the M1, and join the M18. At the last minute decided that he wanted to come back onto the M1...

Indicators went on, and started to career across back toward the hatched off area at the end of junction.. Except by this point there was a silver C-Class in the way and he was left stuck on the M18... Shame that!

If you are unfortunate to cross paths (or lanes) with Vectra Man - FH07LUM.

But... as i already said.....

"No doubt you mean that 85 is a discreet enough speed to pass traffic without attracting attention..... "

Try wearing a different pair of pants tomorrow.... the ones you have on today must be too tight.

Nice one mr:
:crazy:

@renault12ts

The speed of the fast lane is faster than the middle lane, so if you're doing 80mph and you see me in your mirror approaching fast, move over! :)

I always see a queue of cars in the "fast lane" with some old fart sitting there doing 70mph which is normally the same speed as the cars in the middle lane. If you're scared to drive faster or your car can't go faster, MOVE OVER!

I hope that you are never on the same road as some of us!

Reading some of your posts, you appear to epitomise everything that is wrong with drivers in the UK.

i have always concidered the 'fast lane' and 'overtaking lane' as the outside lane.
i use these roads all day long as i live next to one.
i simply feel the 'inside lane' is there to drive along in at whatever speed, the 'outside lane' is there to go around any car, van, lorry that is going slower than you are.

then its off back in to the 'inside lane'.

The breaks thing is a pretty silly thing to do, when I've been out on the motorway in lorries and vans, I've had a few people stuck behind me in the outside lane (despite me flying along) who have then pulled in front of me in lane 2 and slammed on their breaks to show their displeasure at being held up.

Another old chestnut is having some fool limping along at 40, eventually you overtake then, then they get the hump that they've been overtaken by a van or a truck, so they speed up and overtake, then go back to limping along...

Not even just this. When overtaking in the fast lane, people in the middle lane actually speed up and its only when you are well past them that they slow down again. As for left lane discipline, my theory says it's all down to the 2 lane motorways on the continent whereas in the UK, most of the time it's 3 lanes which allow a certain amount of laxness. With 2 lanes you have to return to the left whereas in the UK people dawdle in the middle.

Les

Not even just this. When overtaking in the fast lane, people in the middle lane actually speed up and its only when you are well past them that they slow down again. As for left lane discipline, my theory says it's all down to the 2 lane motorways on the continent whereas in the UK, most of the time it's 3 lanes which allow a certain amount of laxness. With 2 lanes you have to return to the left whereas in the UK people dawdle in the middle.

Les

This is very true.

I assume that most of us have speedtronic and/or cruise control. To avoid speeding tickets I use both of these a lot and it really does show how inconsistent other drivers are.

I'll set my speed on the motorway and overtake where I need to and move back into the inside or centre lane depending on the speed of vehicles to my left. Others will speed up and slow down a lot, even on clear roads.

This seems to point to the fact that most drivers adjust their speed according to who or what is about to overtake them or according to their 'need' to be in front of someone else - the most cmmon situation is where a car will speed up by 20mph to overtake me and then slow to 10mph below my constant speed.

I'm not whining about this it really doesn't bother me but it is something that I have noticed on many,many occasions.

As regards all the tailgating and flashing lights nonsense I have developed a strategy to deal with it. Pull over at the earliest opportunity to let the numpties past, don't allow yourself to be bullied into pulling over while still overtaking and just ignore abusive drivers - give them the 1000 yard stare, it sems to unnerve them if I look straight through them.

Les

I've observed this a lot and have termed it "the bow-wave effect" :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom