M3 or c63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnDeere8530

I have owned several Mercs in the past and most recently a '62 plate E coupe.

I fancy a change and have now sold the car. I am thinking on an M3 coupe, say on a 12 plate with low miles. These can now be picked up for less than £40k due to new model coming soon. A hell of a lot of car for the money and under warranty

However something just does not excite me having to scream an engine to get useful torque from it,

The 63 is opposite to this, lovely torque by the bucket load from almost tick over. I know the M3 is a better drivers car/ track car, but for road use and presence the 63 cannot be beaten.

I have not looked heavily into one yet, so a couple of questions...............

Is a standard 63 still ok, ie one without performance pack etc ? Or are these essentials in your estimation ?

I want to spend a max of £40k cash, so it looks at the moment I will end up with a 10k miles '11 plate broadly speaking, ie slightly older than spending £40k on an M3.

What is the depreciation like on a 63, say compared to a M3? This is by far my biggest cost and worry.... Prices have been reduced greatly recently on the M3 (both new and old) due to new model, so in one aspect the M3 is good value at present, or on other hand they could continue to drop even faster, who knows!

Is there a new model launch of the saloon 63 in the near future ? This will affect depreciation

Fuel costs I imagine would be similar to an M3 ie about 20mpg average? Although I only do about 4-5k miles a yr and will prob sell after 2yrs max.

Servicing costs, do you think these would be similar to an M3 ?

Ideally I would like to buy one for say £40k and put 10k miles on it and sell for £30k in 18 months, do you think this is possible ?

Last edited:
Now is the best time ever to buy an e92 M3. Massive dealer contribution nearly £8k, and 0% APR. I know you have the cash, but you could almost swing a new M3 for not much more than you are looking to pay.

I would go for a deposit and 0%APR keep the money in the bank, or put it into mortgage, etc.

C63 is much more torquey. M3 as you say the better drivers car.

C63 is also near the end of it's life. Somehow I feel the last of the V8 M3's will be more desirable in the future, and with that M-DCT box, it is a hoot.

C63 will be replaced next in 2014/15. Niether is a spring chicken.

I've driven a C6, its a riot, but I'd want a back to back in an M3 to compare.

C63 will be replaced next in 2014/15. Niether is a spring chicken.

I've driven a C6, its a riot, but I'd want a back to back in an M3 to compare.

Correct, new C63 and M4(??? Coupe version) are due to be launched pretty close to each other, so similar replacement dates.

Will the current shape C63 get the turbo 5.5?

Bet it will get the N/A V8 from the SLK55.

420bhp is more than enough for a car of the C classes size. Having driven a C63 it felt really over engined and unruly.

They might even use an M276 V6 and turbo it like the new S400 petrol job. It would make more sense than an 8.

it is due to get an AMG version of the 4.4 bi turbo from the E/S 500 iirc.

The new M3/4 is biturbo six.

I know which will make the best noise. I know which will be the best car.

Driven both, M3 on the track too.

M3 is a great track tool with a poor interior, C63 is a great all round car but not so great on the track.

I've just been out for a sunny, dry 1 hour blast down my local roads and it was exceptional. Felt sharp and eager through the bends and absolutely murdered the straights. Was having a bit of fun for 20 mins following an old Esprit Turbo that was giving it the full beans.

The M3 is very precise and sharp and the C63 is a hammer, but can be driven lazily with all that torque.

For me it was a no brainer, the C63 looks special and the M3 look a little too common. clearly that was the only factor, the engine was!

Not sure why you would buy a 12 plate when you can lease both for £600 a month including VAT.

I am very keen on the new M4 though but will be eager to try the new C63 too.

Either is a good car - lease deals are very good to.... then so are the E63 / SLK 55

Get an M3. Once you get over the c63 engine it becomes a bit of a one trick pony and imo the gearbox is petty poor. My advice if you need 4 seats and can afford it hang on for the new m3 and see what that is like.

I owned a 2010 E90 M3 earlier in the year and it was brilliant, the best car I've driven by quite a long way and I've driven R8's, numerous Mercedes AMG's (new and old), RS6 V10, RS4's etc etc etc.

The only two things that let it down compared to a C63 are; the exhaust note is weak and the looks aren't as good.

If you want an involving car that feels quicker point-to-point get the M3, but if you want a lazy point and squirt sort of car get the C63.

Whatever you decide you should consider the facelift C63. You get the MCT gearbox and the interior is a much nicer place to be IMO. I waited a bit to get mine and I am glad I did. I have no PP on mine and never considered speccing it. I have driven both and don't regret it. It is, of course, all subjective.
I can offer no opinion on the M3 I am afraid apart from the fact that I drive a C63.

Ooooh I love C63 vs M3 debates :D

Both great great cars, yet so different.

I know which will make the best noise. I know which will be the best car.

I know what you're getting at here but it depends on ones interpretation of 'best' car, what you want out of a car and where it will be used. I anticipate that variances in requirements or specific usage will play to the strengths of each model, much like the current versions.

I owned a 2010 E90 M3 earlier in the year and it was brilliant, the best car I've driven by quite a long way and I've driven R8's, numerous Mercedes AMG's (new and old), RS6 V10, RS4's etc etc etc.

The only two things that let it down compared to a C63 are; the exhaust note is weak and the looks aren't as good.

If you want an involving car that feels quicker point-to-point get the M3, but if you want a lazy point and squirt sort of car get the C63.

....there's a few more. C63 is more refined, better built, has much better seats, an arguably better image (although this is rather subjective), better steering feel and is easier to have fun with for the average driver (i.e. probably most people!).

After having two of each, the M3 is the more instantly intoxicating (noise excepted), the bigger 'challenge' and, of course, much more capable on track. But the C63 is easily the better day to day road car.

All depends what you want out of the car.

Not thought about the new RS4?

:ban:

Hows the C class better made than the BMW. I've driven standard 3 series and C classes and bar suspension and engines, they are the same.

Both seemed solid cars but the BMW had the stiffer body shell and nicer trimmed cabin, the merc the better steering feel, seats and handling wise its too close to tell but the cabin is better laid out

Hows the C class better made than the BMW. I've driven standard 3 series and C classes and bar suspension and engines, they are the same.

Both seemed solid cars but the BMW had the stiffer body shell and nicer trimmed cabin, the merc the better steering feel, seats and handling wise its too close to tell but the cabin is better laid out

Less rattles, less buzzes.

I heard various noises in ALL my e92s, I heard very little other than a (fixed) seat creak in my C63's.

This to me makes the C Class perceptibly better built. And this is before I talk about the better materials you can option in a C that are just not available in the 3er.

Simples, you see :thumb:

Having just departed from my E92 which I had for 2 years and I am just about to jump into a C63 wagon, that is a tricky question!

Both great cars, noise wise there does seem to be a significant difference and the seats are better in the C63

I guess you've got to drive them both and make your mind up based on how you drive and what you want from a car

Your insides will tell you the answer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom