M6/M74 Speed Monitoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Tomorrow I'll be travelling up the M6 and M74 to Lockerbie (ish).

Does anyone know what the latest (and very commendable) road safety speed monitoring methods are, just in case my Distronic fails, and I find myself inexplicably travelling over the justifiably correct 70mph.

I'm particularly interested in the more traffic free Lake District onwards section, which is where my electronics are most like to play up ;).

There is nearly always a Tally Van on a bridge just after you enter Scotland. And it does catch some electronic malfunctions of Sassenach's vehicles. Also "Smokie" likes to sit at the top of "on ramps" (out of view) with his radar looking forwards. "Lets be careful out there"

Be careful they are testing the new mobile specs equipment on the M74 and as it is signed it's entire length with camera signs they can prosecute. You can't spot these they are very small cameras that fit between the railings on the overhead bridges, they set them up a few miles apart and enforce by one of 2 options. The offenders go back to a mobile van and a car is dispatched to pull you over and give you the good news or they just sit back and your FPN drops through the door.

A stretch of road that is easy to speed on and one I have been caught on twice in the past but not any more simple answer is set cruise to 75 mph and all is well :thumb:

Be careful they are testing the new mobile specs equipment on the M74 and as it is signed it's entire length with camera signs they can prosecute. You can't spot these they are very small cameras that fit between the railings on the overhead bridges, they set them up a few miles apart and enforce by one of 2 options. The offenders go back to a mobile van and a car is dispatched to pull you over and give you the good news or they just sit back and your FPN drops through the door.

A stretch of road that is easy to speed on and one I have been caught on twice in the past but not any more simple answer is set cruise to 75 mph and all is well :thumb:

Well that is really dreadful news. The section in question - Lakes and northwards - is really good with some long clear straights with no bridges, junctions, bankings etc. Under certain circumstances I would imagine that twice that would be safe, although not legal.

I guess these "you've been framed" devices are almost impossible to spot (at 70)?

Well that is really dreadful news. The section in question - Lakes and northwards - is really good with some long clear straights with no bridges, junctions, bankings etc. Under certain circumstances I would imagine that twice that would be safe, although not legal.

I guess these "you've been framed" devices are almost impossible to spot (at 70)?

I know I've had some great runs on that road in the past too, the new devices are only about 75mm - 100mm square so you just can't see them. 2 people from work have been caught on them one at 85 mph the other 99 mph. FPN in both cases delivered in the post :mad: Seems the use is getting more widespread too as I've heard of them also being used on the A90 in Scotland

Also "Smokie" likes to sit at the top of "on ramps" (out of view) with his radar looking forwards. "Lets be careful out there"

I fell foul of that tactic a few years back and got a cofp for doing 84mph . The cops were very pleasant and we had a bit of banter about my car ( driving the 500 at the time ) , but I was guilty as charged and took it on the chin .

These days I just try to keep to the limits and keep my stress levels and fuel consumption to a minimum .

These days I just try to keep to the limits and keep my stress levels and fuel consumption to a minimum .

Sad to say I'm at this stage also, particularly on the M74. Fantastic scenery helps, although your not seeing the best by Lockerbie.

You'll understand that honesty and integrity will not allow me to divulge any information.

However I will say, for what it's worth, that I'm not on duty tomorrow!! :D

Blimey, having been banned once I'd better make sure my Distronic doesn't fail :eek::(.

tomorrow i'll be travelling up the m6 and m74 to lockerbie (ish).

Does anyone know what the latest (and very commendable) road safety speed monitoring methods are, just in case my distronic fails, and i find myself inexplicably travelling over the justifiably correct 70mph.

I'm particularly interested in the more traffic free lake district onwards section, which is where my electronics are most like to play up ;).

speedlimit.jpg

Yes, me too. I got done at 85 by a cop standing off to the side of a bridge with trees and the setting sun behind him so he was all but invisible. They can zap you at 1000 metres, apparently. It scared me a bit as I realised just how easy it was to get caught.

Travelling all over the country I see them so often now, I decided that it really isn't worth the stress, and you're more likely to be caught in light traffic on a good road - to "them" such a situation is a perfect revenue opportunity. If traffic is fairly busy you're more likely to get some warning as people ahead brake as they suddenly see the speed trap.

I got clocked at a substantial speed on the M74 a few years back... I was on the spot educated that only Intercity were allowed to go that fast and would I please keep it below 85... suitably chastised I trundled off without an FPN.

Generally I have found in Scotland they are (in person) more bothered about driving standard.... Cumbria used to be hell.. always sat at j36 waiting for people speeding northwards..... but not sure there is much trafpol there nowadays.

Please note that it is compulsory to crest shap at the ton.

Yes, me too. I got done at 85 by a cop standing off to the side of a bridge with trees and the setting sun behind him so he was all but invisible. They can zap you at 1000 metres, apparently. It scared me a bit as I realised just how easy it was to get caught.

Travelling all over the country I see them so often now, I decided that it really isn't worth the stress, and you're more likely to be caught in light traffic on a good road - to "them" such a situation is a perfect revenue opportunity. If traffic is fairly busy you're more likely to get some warning as people ahead brake as they suddenly see the speed trap.

I always stand in plain view next to my marked patrol vehicle, wearing a high vis jacket. And yet drivers are still oblivious to my presence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom