M6 sandbatch frightening experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
Took wife and daughter to Cirencester last night to visit her sister, quick brew turned round for home leaving them for a short break,........returning at sandbatch we have road works three lane get moved over so we use the hard shoulder, outside lane slower than the other 2 my luck .....then notice LGV blocking lanes 2 and 3 stopping people using outside lane while other cars are nipping in-between him and the 1st lane , 2 miles to roadwork's so as I overtake he swerves into me pushing me towards the central reservation tyres ripping up grass bricks and any other rubble left on the central bit, just i pass his cab...he then begins to hurl torrents of abuse at me and charging up behind me pushing me into the car in front...I really felt for my life at one moment it was a truly freighting rear view mirror appearance

I am not angry just in shock should I report him to his transport manager or not, your views please if iam wrong tell me why, if iam right should I ring,what would you do

Last edited:
I had a similiar experience with a sprinter van recently. How he didn't crash into the rear of me I'll never know. I didnt get a number or a company, so I couldnt report my psycho to anyone. If his actions warrant it you could talk to the Police. But be careful when dealing with loonies, you dont want him turning up on your door step coz he's been sacked or something.

Standard lorry practice I am afraid, to stop outside lanes keeping up with inside. Police take a dim view of this and class it as illegal, as it is impeding traffic.

As has been said you are unfortunately taking a chance of reporting him for two reasons. One if he is disciplined he might come for revenge, and two he might be an owner driver, in which case you would speak to him!! :eek:

Hi Mark,
Thank goodness you are unhurt. No doubt straight after this incident you wanted to lynch the person responsible, but perhaps this thread might be the best place to release some of that rage.

Without independant witnesses there is not much you can do, if you have the company details and vehicle registration number then you could complain to the company but it will be your word against the drivers and the possible outcomes have already been outlined.

If the family had been in the car though how would you feel about letting things go?

Was the driving life threatening?

Would you be happy if this driver causes a future accident?

Good luck with any decision, and again.... thank goodness you were unhurt.

Take care,
John

I would be tempted to write to the company, unless he is an owner / driver. I would do this by stating the time and road I was on, and also how you felt threatened, supplying no other details like home address, phone number or car type!
The reason for this is that others may do the same, and if the company takes their customer relations seriously they should deal with the driver.

I was not the originator of this type of letter, but received one once from someone who had been cut up by one of our staff. It prompted us to follow him on occasion, and lo and behold he was a looney!!

At least you would get it off your chest?

Paul.

I am glad you are both OK.

I will be passing through that stretch tomorrow, hope they are better behaved

I had a similar experience about 12 years ago on the A1M, , it was a dual carriage way and the outside lane was empty, about a mile from the road works. I went to pass an HGV and he pushed me on to the grass berge of the central reservation, at the same time, he flashed a small transit flat bed just as I passed his cab, Unfortunately I hit the transit, about 2inches from his fuel tank. I toook the details of both the transit and the truck but neither party admitted to them causing the accident.

I have seen this happen several times in the past. I thought it was a habit that was dying out. Obviously not

drifting said:
I would be tempted to write to the company, unless he is an owner / driver. I would do this by stating the time and road I was on, and also how you felt threatened, supplying no other details like home address, phone number or car type!
The reason for this is that others may do the same, and if the company takes their customer relations seriously they should deal with the driver.

Definitly agree here, I would be inclined to do exactly the same. Even if nothing comes out from it, at least they will be aware of how incompetent their driver is and will hopefully mean that no-one else goes through the same thing.

I was faced in a similar situation as "ckember" where I was forced millimetres away from the central reservation on the M1 after a rather stupid lorry driver didn't check his mirrors and moved into the third lane of the motorway (which afaik, isn't allowed anyway!) right where I was..! :crazy:

m6

Thank you for your kind words and concern it has helped me a great deal,...just a point I forgot to mention listening to out local radio station the way home when somebody text the show about lorry drivers holding up traffic, ... the presenter misinterpreted what the true message was about, obviously it meant lorries stopping people in the out side lane ...I have read and digested the replies and I am very grateful,I will right a anonymous letter to the company outlining what happened with times and places and the reg number and if anything rings true with the person in question then I am sure something would be done...as is said its his word against mine, this way the company will know the person better than me, this could be the second letter in his file and one more nail in his coffin I will put pen to paper and put a copy on here once again thank you.

regards mark...

quick update just phoned the company to get the address of the head office and i'am the third person to ask for it, the acting transport manager said was this near sandbatch well what go's around comes around :bannana:

Last edited:
post the name on this site then we can all tell other people not to use this firm
take photos i have done this before and it works

Mark - firstly, don't bother writing an anonymous letter - it'll go straight in the bin. Secondly do make sure that you make a reasoned and polite complaint to the company concerned - the driver in question may have done this sort of thing before and the company would want to know about it.

A friend of mine encountered a similar thing on the M25/M3 junction one day and telephoned the number on the back of the van involved at the time. The transport manager was very good about it and told my friend that the driver in question was already on a warning for similar previous behaviour. My friend was a bit worried about the driver perhaps losing his job and then retaliating in some way, but he never heard any more about it.

What about reporting him to the Police? He could have caused a pile up with fatalities.

Back in my uni days I used to work as a courier/delivery van driver to support myself during my studies and I used to drive around in Sprinters - usually I used to have a plain van with no writing/details and would get into "encounters" that I did not start. The few occasions I was given marked vans i had a couple of encounters that I was honestly not guilty off starting and one was with a lorry driver who was drivng very dangerously and he of all ppl had nerve to call the company up. Fact that I was a good driver and always got my deliveries done for one of the main companies i used to drive for took my word and took no notice of teh idiot BUT one company did not want me back because I was not liked by the Logistics Manager... if driver is a moran then fine report them BUT I cannot stand ppl that start of road rage/enocunters and when the van driver gets his own back run off and report him to the company to try and get even...

BUT in this scenario the lorry driver is a nutter...

As a truck driver myself I cringe every time I see posts like this, we seem to be our own worst enemy, I know we are often on tight deadlines and can find it annoying when sitting in long queues of traffic just to see cars coming down the outside and cutting in at the last minute, but they are not doing anything wrong, and certainly should not be endangered by these morons who use their size to intimidate other road users...
I would phone the company in question and speak to the Transport manager and follow it up with a letter, though not an anonymous one,
If it's any consolation at all, as a truck driver I am also cut up, pressured and intimidated by these morons at times, probably more so than car drivers because I am stuck in the same speed zone as them.
At the end of the day, my attitude is we all have to share an overcrowded road network and letting other drivers behavior upset me is not an option, every one makes mistakes, but thats all they are, drivers who use aggression should be removed from our highways and not allowed back on the roads until they can prove they can control themselves in a manner that is acceptable to other road users... Professional drivers should forfeit their vocational license if they act in this sort of manner
I sometimes feel that I am a very small minority when it comes to truck drivers, I have stopped visiting most of the truck related sites on the net as I get so wound up by the attitude of some of my fellow professionals. We should be working on getting other road users on our side, and not creating a them and us scenario
rant over

ps sorry you had to suffer because of some idiot who should never be holding a licence

jimti said:
As a truck driver myself I cringe every time I see posts like this, we seem to be our own worst enemy,

Hi jimti,
I salute your honesty and integrity, but I wonder what the proportion of bad car drivers there are to lorry drivers? I held a Class 1 HGV licence for a number of years and was surprised just how difficult the test was when compared to the car test. (still got my license somewhere ;) )

On motorways whenever there are roadworks you always seen car drivers staying out in the lane that is going to be restricted for as long as possible and then cutting in at the last moment! I accept that in this particular circumstance the lorry driver appeared at fault, but the majority of lorry drivers are indeed a professional buch of drivers who do NOT hug the centre lane of our motorways :) (My pet hate) unlike the hordes of selfish car drivers.

Well said though,
John

an underlying problem here is the small group of evergrowing morons that shoot up the blocked lane instead of waiting their turn like everybody else... Merge in turn does indeed work , but why wait till the last min....

The queue having to slow down to let another and another in holds everyone who has the manners to wait in line. :devil:

mark.t said:
Took wife and daughter to Cirencester last night to visit her sister, quick brew turned round for home leaving them for a short break,........returning at sandbatch we have road works three lane get moved over so we use the hard shoulder, outside lane slower than the other 2 my luck .....then notice LGV blocking lanes 2 and 3stopping people using outside lane while other cars are nipping in-between him and the 1st lane , bble left on the central bit, just i pass his cab...he then begins to hurl torrents of abuse at me and charging up behind me pushing me into the car in front...I really 2 miles to roadwork's so as I overtake he swerves into me pushing me towards the central reservation tyres ripping up grass bricks and any other rufelt for my life at one moment it was a truly freighting rear view mirror appearance

I am not angry just in shock should I report him to his transport manager or not, your views please if iam wrong tell me why, if iam right should I ring,what would you do

i agree about cutting in at last min but 2 miles to go :devil: the motorway was running ok till this k**brag turned up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom