Mac computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
Mac OS X version 10.5.7 update is available now, no idea what the improvements are yet though.

Apple has launched the long-awaited 10.5.7 Mac OS X update to customers today through Mac OS X's Software Update utility. The new update is said to provide general fixes to the operating system:
The 10.5.7 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: About the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update.
For detailed information on security updates, please visit this website: Apple security updates .

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update (442 MB) - Requires OS X 10.5.6
Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update (729 MB) - Upgrade from any version of OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 (452 MB)
Mac OS X Server Combo 10.5.7 (951 MB)

Some highlights include:

- Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.
- Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching
- Addresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into Gmail
- Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictions

Apple also released security updates for OS X 10.4 Tiger users:

Security Update 2009-002 (Tiger Intel) (165 MB)
Security Update 2009-002 (Tiger PPC) (75 MB)
Security Update 2009-002 (Server Universal) (203 MB)
Security Update 2009-002 (Server Tiger PPC) (130 MB)

Along with the operating system updates, Apple released updates to Safari 3 for Leopard, Tiger, and Windows:

Safari 3.2.3 for Leopard (40 MB) - Requires OS X 10.5.7
Safari 3.2.3 for Tiger (26.29 MB) - Requires OS X 10.4.11 and Security Update 2009-002
Safari 3.2.3 for Windows (19.69 MB) - Requires Windows XP or Vista

Finally, Apple released an update for Safari 4 Beta, bringing security changes outlined in this support document. The Safari 4 Beta update is currently available via Software Update for those users who have upgraded to OS X 10.5.7.

I'm not convinced with these Macs myself,

I buy PC's and Macs for work, last year probably 400 Macs of one sort of another, mac books, Mac Airs, Mac Pros, Cinema screens etc etc.

I agree they look nice yes, no problem there. BUT

If your use to Windows and have been since Windows 98, 3.1 etc then I find them so annoying.

OK the new ones you can (and we do) dual boot but that sort of defeats the object. Battery life is good on the laptops and have to say I do like the keyboard that lights up on the new Mac book pros...

I guess I havn't the time / will power to put up with one for a bit and get use to it. My wife uses one and to be fair has 'put up' with it for two years now but even she sometimes mutters....this flipin mac...sometimes when trying to do something. She only liked it as it was white !!!

nope not sure myself, lovely to look at, nice design but cannot get my head round them.

I'm not convinced with these Macs myself,

I buy PC's and Macs for work, last year probably 400 Macs of one sort of another, mac books, Mac Airs, Mac Pros, Cinema screens etc etc.

I agree they look nice yes, no problem there. BUT

If your use to Windows and have been since Windows 98, 3.1 etc then I find them so annoying.

OK the new ones you can (and we do) dual boot but that sort of defeats the object. Battery life is good on the laptops and have to say I do like the keyboard that lights up on the new Mac book pros...

I guess I havn't the time / will power to put up with one for a bit and get use to it. My wife uses one and to be fair has 'put up' with it for two years now but even she sometimes mutters....this flipin mac...sometimes when trying to do something. She only liked it as it was white !!!

nope not sure myself, lovely to look at, nice design but cannot get my head round them.

It took me a while to get used to the switch from Windows, but as you say its because id only ever used a PC before.

If you were teaching someone who had never used a computer before the MAC would be far easier to learn.

Having said that, im used to it now and i can't see myself every buying a PC again. Yes MAC's are expensive, but i've had 18 months ownership now with Zero problems.

In the same period i've had 2 PC's at work, in which i've only ever used internet and MS office.

As usual, Apple doesn't really tell you anything about what the update does... their "details" are worthless...

Taken off another site; someone's bothered looking at what has changed!
Most of the changes here are below the surface, and as you’d expect with a nearly half-gigabyte update, widespread. To see what Apple has modified, I dug into the update’s BOM file, you’ll find the BOM files in the /Library -> Receipts -> boms folder.

The list of programs touched by this updater is large, though not all get new version numbers (indicating the changes are very minor). Here’s what’s been updated, based on the BOM file, and the new version number if applicable; if not shown, it’s unchanged from 10.5.6: Address Book (4.1.2), Automator (2.0.3), Dashboard, DVD Player, Exposé, Front Row, iCal (3.0.7), iChat (4.0.8), Mail (3.6), Preview (4.2), Safari 4 Beta, Spaces, Time Machine, Bluetooth File Exchange (2.1.6), RAID Utility (1.0.3), Remote Install Mac OS X, System Profiler (10.5.7; this is updated each cycle), Terminal (2.0.2), and X11. Whew, that’s quite a list!

Note that if you have Safari 4 Beta installed, after upgrading to 10.5.7, you should run Software Update again. When you do, you’ll see a separate 31.8MB Safari 4 Beta update. Run this updater (which will require another restart) to patch Safari 4 Beta against these known security issues. After running this update, the build number of Safari 4 Beta (visible in the Safari -> About Safari dialog) will be 5528.17.

A few things spring to mind... 10.5.7 - seriously? Seven? 10.5 hasn't been out that long and we've had SEVEN service packs? And people were complaining of Vista's one service pack...

Including a beta program in a service pack seems VERY risky... highlighted by the list of security issues that beta had (and the update that came almost immediately after the release of the update).

I don't think I'll be moving our 600-odd Apples to 10.5.7 yet... I might test it on one or two just to see if it improves AFP, which is something I've been promised by more than one guy at Apple for the last year...

I have a feeling this thread will turn into a MAc vs Windows thread :p At the end of the day, they are both computers each with thei pros and cons. We debate MB vs BMW almost as viciously (or my fridge brand vs your fridge brand)

Time to buy a large magnet...

M.
-Typed on a Macbook Pro (unibody)... running Vista

Last edited:
Service packs?! They're updates. And these updates include updates to software like iTunes. Microsoft doesn't change the version number of Windows just because there's a new version of Media Player out.
My Linux machines receive updates about two times per week. The more often the better.

Apples to Pears..?

There's also no beta software included in the 10.5.7 update. The reference to beta is if you've chosen to do a separate install of Safari Beta, then it'll be updated (to another verison of the Beta). My version on Safari is 3.2.3.

And the Win vs. Mac debate?! I see a lot of people who like their Windows environment, and that's fine by me. I'm no preacher. My personal experience is that I've used Windows since 3.1 (not eleven, and tried a few unuseable versions before that too). I used MacOS pre-X and hated it. I've used Linux (or rather KDE) as my desktop for years and years, but about two years ago I switched to a Mac and it's by far the best computer I've ever owned. The UI took a bit of time to get used to, but now I love it and find Windows cumbersome and KDE cludgy.
Some people don't want to make the effort to really try it out, but keep referring back to their usual UI, and you know what. That's perfectly fine! Including my very geeky friend, my almost-mother-in-law, my sister, etc. Also note that this is true for the other way round; follow a 99% Mac user on a PC and their actions are pretty much totally illogical (closing programs instead of windows etc). :doh:

Either way, I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard, and one day I'll buy a unibody Mac too (but this one is working too well to justify it right now).:thumb:

I have "made the effort" to try it out... I'm ACSA certified and manage roughly 600 of them :p

The version changes are essentially service packs. You still get the usual updates every week from Apple, but the 10.5.7 update is 700 megabytes and does ALOT more than just change a few programs...

Using Wiki's definition of a service pack
A service pack (in short SP) is a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements to a software program delivered in the form of a single installable package.

So, in summary, I stand by my choice of wording... 10.5.7 isn't just a 700-odd megabyte update, it's a service pack.

M.

Well Ive just updated 3 of mine and what difference....wow!!!

Ok so theres no difference so far, but hey something may popup later.

As someone who has been in IT since it was called Computing, I find the religious wars that go on around Microsoft to be very disappointing. The revolution that came with PC's, albeit heralded by many mini's, brought computing to the masses. It never would have happened if it had been left to us propeller heads working in the industry and so well done to the Steve Jobs, bill Gates and Sinclair's of this world. On a scale of 1 to 100 both Mac's and PC's score in the 90's in my view. there are differences but so what. In our house I think we have 6 Mac's accumulated over time and probably 3 PC's and a couple of laptops- The Mac's are oriented toward the Yuppy end of the market (not meant derogatorily) while the PC's more toward the serious user. Photographers seem to like Mac's and that is my main use but all of this detail stuff about 10.5.7.118/765*44 or whatever is irrelevant to most users. I can see ups and downs on both sides but i think they both do a good job of supplying the public and commerce with pretty good product.

I've been using Macs since the beginning - even had an Apple II , before they were 'Macs' - have never owned a Windows machine .

I find Windows extremely cumbersome and annoying to 'put up' with when I have to use them at work .

My Linux machine seem to have received two Service Packs today.

The following packages will be upgraded:
apparmor apparmor-utils
2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 404kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 Index of / hardy-updates/main apparmor 2.1+1075-0ubuntu9.2 [321kB]
Get:2 Index of / hardy-updates/main apparmor-utils 2.1+1075-0ubuntu9.2 [83.7kB]
Fetched 404kB in 0s (770kB/s)

:thumb:

Another Linux laptop had 5 Service Packs today. :)

The following packages will be upgraded:
libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libical0 mesa-utils
5 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3287kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 Index of / jaunty-updates/main libgl1-mesa-dri 7.4-0ubuntu3.1 [2730kB]
Get:2 Index of / jaunty-updates/main libgl1-mesa-glx 7.4-0ubuntu3.1 [114kB]
Get:3 Index of / jaunty-updates/main libglu1-mesa 7.4-0ubuntu3.1 [179kB]
Get:4 Index of / jaunty-updates/main mesa-utils 7.4-0ubuntu3.1 [44.2kB]
Get:5 Index of / jaunty-updates/main libical0 0.43-2ubuntu1 [220kB]
Fetched 3287kB in 3s (1093kB/s)

:rock:

My Linux machine seem to have received two Service Packs today.

These aren't really service packs. They are module updates.

A service pack is notionally a huge amount of module updates and enhancements rolled up into none massive update.

In the case of Microsoft the service pack level SP1, SP2, Sp6a, etc become reference points when dealing with issues and patches.

With Apple it is effectively the minor OS number.

With Linux it's harder to define as you often have a lot more software lurking on the system than just the operating system and the granularity of individual updates is finer.

I know.. it was supposed to be a sarcastic reply to this quote:

A service pack (in short SP) is a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements to a software program delivered in the form of a single installable package.

As all .deb:s are "single installable" packages, they are by definition a "Service Pack". :devil:

IMO, "Service Pack" is a Microsoft term. Apple uses the term "Combo Update", but also release "Security Updates" (as does Microsoft)...

... Either way it doesn't really matter. I love my MacBook. :bannana:

... Either way it doesn't really matter. I love my MacBook.

Sad isn't it.

Out of all the systems I have if I could have only one - it's the Macbook I'd keep.

Still grump about the price and spec though.

It is a bit sad to stand in the Jobs choir, I agree, but this computer makes me happy. :eek:
When it comes to the money/spec, I don't mind it. I paid £1,700 once for a Sony Vaio C1-MHP, whilst a lovely piece of hardware and totally adequate with WinXP (little low on RAM though), £1,700 was a premium price for premium laptop. The £1,000ish for the MacBook about 2 years ago seems cheap compared. Especially with iLife, iWork, TimeMachine, Spaces, PDF "writer" out of the box and Unix, to mention a few.

I know most people don't do "maths" that way, and think a £1,000 laptop is about two, or even three, times as expensive as a default laptop from PC World (and then they visit Pirate Bay to stock up on "free" software worth £500 collecting trojans, etc. :doh: )

Horses for courses, as the saying goes. :rock:

I know.. it was supposed to be a sarcastic reply to this quote:

As all .deb:s are "single installable" packages, they are by definition a "Service Pack". :devil:

IMO, "Service Pack" is a Microsoft term. Apple uses the term "Combo Update", but also release "Security Updates" (as does Microsoft)...

... Either way it doesn't really matter. I love my MacBook. :bannana:

Not just microsoft...

I know autodesk uses that terminology as well :p

Plus, the definition is a "collection of updates" ;)

Anyhow.. that's not the point... I still stand by my point that they are service packs... and that there are way too many of them! I remember seeing some figures that suggested there are roughly 10-times more updates for OsX than for Vista or XP!

m.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom