Mac Mini / mini-ITX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
I'm looking at replacing the TV in the kitchen with a SFF computer (placed on top of a cupboard) and a TFT screen (just bought a Xerox TFT for a client, it's sitting here on my desk and it is gorgeous, so think that may get the nod :D )

So, I was looking at the Shuttle range, then had a thought about the Mac Mini. I know a few of you got one when they came out. My knowledge of things Mac is limited; last used one in 1990, learning ArchiCAD :D But a Mac is something I haven't got and would be really useful for sitechecks.

I intend to mount the TFT on the wall, along with a wireless SFF keyboard and mouse. To be used for internet access (wireless) and viewing of photos/videos/etc from my media server, but I also want to use a digital TV adapter. Presume that will have to be USB, but any problems with using one with a Mac? Anyone using one, recommendations?

Flyer said:
Anyone using one, recommendations?

I've been a Mac advocate for years, and the Mac Mini would be excellent for the installation you're talking about. To give you an idea, I use my PowerBook for the same sort of things connected wirelessly to the 'net and I haven't had to reboot it in nearly a year! In terms of wireless keyboards Mac OSX fully supports wireless keyboards and mice.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Laz.
--

fuzzer said:
why not stream tv from a media server ?
I haven't got a TV adapter, so it may as well go in the box where it will be used. Have no intentions (yet!) for a TV stream elsewhere.

Laz, I was looking for a recommendation for a digital TV adapter. Not knowing anything about Macs; will any do, or are there specific ones; is software included? If it was a Windows box, I'd use Media Center, does a media player come with a Mac?

No problem with keyboard, mouse or monitor, and as wireless is built-in, won't need anything else - I don't think?

Macs, (and in fact all Firewire equipped computers) can use Firewire as a digital source for video. Mac OSX has several built-in features to allow you to do this.

So you have two options,

1) Buy an aftermarket PCI TV card - just ensure that it comes with a Mac driver, though the Mac mini has (I believe) only a single PCI expansion slot so that would use this up. Run a coaxial aerial cable to the Mac, switch it on and your off (do you have Sky or Sky+)?

2) Buy a coaxial to firewire passthrough box called a DV bridge (relatively inexpensive) and run a firewire cable from your video source into the Mac. Then use the Mac PVR software (free download) to view and even record TV.

Quite an elegant solution.

Jason
--

Mac Minis are good buying at the moment, with recent upgrades to the video cards and to the CPU speed with no cost increase.

Check out the apple store site, and take a look at the tv adapters available from companies like elgato. There are some small USB ones, and some not so small firewire ones. All are reported to do a great job.

The Mac Mini is certainly a great machine for this work. You don't need to know a thing about the OS, as it is very obvious to use once you have a 10 minute play. It's very well integrated with Windows now too, so you can connect to shares on windows machines without too much effort. You shouldn't need to buy any software at all for the machine, as every thing you need ought to come with the TV adapter.

Power consumption is almost non existent (22W at lowest) on the Mini Mac, so it won't eat much power unlike the Shuttles. Many of the TV addons will be bus powered to, which means less power points.

I have had loads of Shuttles since the first SV24 and they have always been great, but I couldn't stand the noise any longer. The Mac Mini is a godsend for peace and quiet.

Lazarus,

The Mac Mini has no PCI capability whatsoever. Got to be USB/USB2 or Firewire.

Thanks guys.

Scott, thanks for the head-up about the elgato stuff. Noticed that the AppleStore had the EyeTV for DTT available once you have added a MacMini to your basket, at £99. Checked their website and looks a great solution.

So, £528, plus £200ish for the monitor, £50ish for wireless kb and mouse, plus some funky speakers. Hmm, expensive TV :D

Although, it will be used primarily, and extensively, for business use, undertaking sitechecks ;)

scotth_uk said:
The Mac Mini has no PCI capability whatsoever. Got to be USB/USB2 or Firewire.

Oops :eek: I stand corrected.

The only Mac Mini I played with was a pre-production model over in the States which had a single expansion slot where the cooling vent is now, they also toyed with a PC slot too.

Laz.
--

:) Always happy to help. Shame I haven't actually achieved more to be able to give you first hand information.

I've read a lot about Elgato, and it seems very good. Should work well.

On the mini - make sure that you spec it appropriately, as things like wireless and bluetooth are painful to add in later. RAM is a piece of cake to upgrade, drives are almost as easy. Going to get a DVD writer in it?

The apple wireless kb and mouse are also very good. I don't actually like using PC keyboards on the apple, even though you can. In fact I liked the apple kb so much, I now use one on my Dell box!

Ask Matt how he's going with his mini too!

Scott

Flyer said:
Thanks guys.

Scott, thanks for the head-up about the elgato stuff. Noticed that the AppleStore had the EyeTV for DTT available once you have added a MacMini to your basket, at £99. Checked their website and looks a great solution.

So, £528, plus £200ish for the monitor, £50ish for wireless kb and mouse, plus some funky speakers. Hmm, expensive TV :D

Although, it will be used primarily, and extensively, for business use, undertaking sitechecks ;)

The spec I'm looking at is the 1.42GHz model @ £429 - with bluetooth and AirPort built-in. No other options, so no DVD writer, but I have other machines with DVD burners on the network, so not really an issue (then again, maybe it is?)

I need a SFF wireless kb/mouse combo; think the Apple gear may be a bit too big. More research needed. Found a SFF wireless kb with trackball built-in that would be ideal, but can't remember where from :rolleyes:

The Gadget show On Sky Previewed it, by the time you got all the bits you really need it was more expensive than a very decent laptop. They said it was not good to upgrade.

Looks nice though

You'll probably find that the machine arrives as a 1.50Ghz spec, as they are now being supplied, even though the boxes haven't been reprinted to match.

Main reason for the DVD question was just about whether or not you are likely to record from that machine to DVD. I haven't had too much of a tinker, but I am sure that you can create an image and burn it on another machine. I got mine with the standard CDRW/DVDROM combo.

The apple keyboard is a lot smaller than any of my MS keyboards, might be worth a quick look at one in the flesh if you get a chance.

If you fancy dropping round to play with one, you are more than welcome to come over!

SEM said:
The Gadget show On Sky Previewed it, by the time you got all the bits you really need it was more expensive than a very decent laptop. They said it was not good to upgrade.

Looks nice though

That would be the same Gadget Show that compared Macs to PCs by throwing them of a balcony? Bunch of twunts if you ask me.

Cheers Scott. The Apple kb/mouse does look tres cool, but think I will try and go for a kb/trackball combo. Less space and I intend to mount it on a bracket hanging off the wall, so think a mouse could be a bit awkward.

scotth_uk said:
If you fancy dropping round to play with one, you are more than welcome to come over!
Thanks for the offer, but err .... you're currently in Australia aren't you? :D Tempting as it is, and I could always take a detour to Perth to see Adrienne, I do think it might be a little extravagant :D

Next time I'm in London though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom