Mac upgrade warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
The iMac notified me of an upgrade to Sierra and I went ahead with it. Just spent the last frustrating hour upgrading and resetting all my Apple passwords and iCloud settings. Now the iMac has frozen me out of all web access and I have to wait till tomorrow for tech help.

Sierra? Don't go there.

I am responsible for many Macs and I carefully piloted some upgrades to Sierra.

So far, after a couple of minor issues, it's been fine and we've now started upgrading formerly.

The only issues I've noticed are it refuses to authenticate as a domain user and won't save credentials when connecting to a Windows server via SMB share (probably because it shouldn't be prompting!).

However, the only machines I'm allowing to be upgraded have already been wiped and re-installed with El Captain Sensible within the last 12 months.

Not had any of the issues you've seen though!

That's a pain in the Harris! I normally give it a a few week before downloading new OS so they can iron out any problems. I'll definitely give this one a miss for a while.

To be fair, Microsoft had its share of problems with the Win10 upgrade and later Autumn update.
I often wonder if the general public are used for testing V 1.0 of any OS:devil:

I've upgraded both our laptops - MBPro17 and MBAir11 from Mavericks to Sierra when it came out, and haven't had any problems.

The 10.12.2 yesterday had a two-form authentication pre-selected (just like the latest iOS upgrade), so I just untick it, and it went ahead fine. It's a good idea, in theory, but I don't like the way its components been implemented, so opting out for now.

We've upgraded all 8 of our Macs to Sierra with zero issues.

Why did you reset all passwords?

Well, it started by wanting this new two form of authentication which I declined. It then asked me to authenticate, then update, my present passwords and it's a long-winded process with it sending authentication codes to all my devices. Drives me nuts all this security. So I then re-started the iMac and it opened with a request for:

name

password

So I gave it what I had just reset it to and it's rejecting them. This name and password request is a new thing on me, usually it just opens. Without knowing what or where to go now the thing is useless. I'm hoping Apple will get me back in in the morning.

I've upgraded both our laptops - MBPro17 and MBAir11 from Mavericks to Sierra when it came out, and haven't had any problems.

The 10.12.2 yesterday had a two-form authentication pre-selected (just like the latest iOS upgrade), so I just untick it, and it went ahead fine. It's a good idea, in theory, but I don't like the way its components been implemented, so opting out for now.

See above. I just 'unticked' it too but that wasn't enough for the thing.

Last edited:
As some above.......I upgraded to Sierra without issue or the need to change anything.

I appreciate that does not help but it does raise a question for you.

I trust you will get it sorted quickly........we no longer seem to be able to manage our lives without our instant communication and information devices.

Mic

Sorted. Nice man from Cork spent ages talking me through a Username and Password reset.

But....grrrrrrrrrr :wallbash:

Thanks for the warnings. I think I will leave it a bit longer before I "upgrade" (if that's the right word!) to Sierra.

Well it may be that I pressed the wrong thing during the upgrade, I'm in the bottom league of computer gurus, however they don't make it easy. I'm convinced Apple consider their customers to be on a higher intellectual plane from 'other' users. They're wrong!
Their helpline is very good though and don't talk to you as if you were some Cal-Tec geek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom