Macbook Air

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what you bought in the end, but I am a Macbook Air user and am very happy with the unit. I dropped it once, and it caused the internal fan to ocassionally stop spinning - Apple fixed it in 24 hours for me after dropping it off at one of their stores. Apart from that - no issues.

I don't use much in the way of external devices, just the odd external drive, usb memory key or 3g adapater., so tha lack of ports doesn't concern me at all. USB hubs are cheap for home use, and a small travel hub can be good to leave in the bag.

Bought myself a MacBook Air - latest model from the Apple shop in Regent Street. Although it looks the same, there are some detail differences in the (Rev.B) to the original - better fan, increased memory size, etc.
Lots of dosh spent that day, but I had my son with me so we could use his student discount (14% off the machine and a whacking 74% off the three year warranty package.
I'm delighted with the machine, which works flawlessly and starts and shuts down instantly. The absence of a CD/DVD drive is proving no problem as it steals the use of any other (wireless enabled) computer's (Windows or Mac) drive, so loading software is no problem.
It really is a lovely thing to own, I'm struggling to keep the kids hands off it!!!
Doug

It depends entirely on what the OP needs and if portability/battery life are a priority then a larger disk in a larger heavier physical package isn't necessarily a suitable non-regrettable alternative.
Don't know about OP but as an OAP with an Apple Macbook Pro I need an intuitive machine that just jumps into life with a smile every day. The Apple really does it for me and unlike some of the posts above I've tried reverting to Windows via dual boot but I have now dumped all that stuff because the Apple is soooo.... unintrusive into your work.
Also there was a discussion on one forum about virus's and I think the score was 30 Apple attacks for 300,000 microsoft attacks.

I managed to pur half a glass of wine into my MBA the other day. Immediately shut it down and turned it over. Left it overnight and attacked it with a hairdryer in the morning - fine and dandy.

Another vote here for Macs, although as others have said I am not sure what you really gain with the Air over a MacBook (which I a typing on now) other than the pose value. The size difference is just not that much in my eyes. Only problem I come across occasionally is web browser incompatibility on certain sites, channel 4 TV on demand for example will only work on IE sadly.

Otherwise I would say that the original purchase price is somewhat offset by the ability to sell for a reasonable sum, take a look on ebay - Macs hold their money far better than myriad of MS based laptops.

I've been a Mac user for over 20 years (and I'm ECDL/BCS qualified in using Windows-based computers).

During that time, I've never had any substantive problem with Macs - but Windows usage by comparison is frustrating. My wife's recently acquired Toshiba laptop makes for a very useful doorstop - and is rarely used.

The reality today is that all Macs are dual-platform computers straight out of the box. With a legal copy of Windows you can boot-up in either native Windows or Mac OS X. If you want to run Windows and Mac side-by-side then use VMWare Fusion or Parallels (with a copy of Windows). If you want to run Windows applications on a Mac - but without the Windows OS - then opt for CrossOverMac Pro or VirtualBox. This way you get two computers in one.

As for buying a new MacBook Air...

If you plan to fly anytime soon, Dixonstaxfree is worth visiting at the airport. A MacBook Air can be yours for £893, while a better value-for-money MacBook is £978 - http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/inde...computing&group=1012,1211,1212&pro_id=7000615

Alternatively, visit the Apple Refurb store, where a MacBook Air can be had without visiting the airport http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Just tried it - and it works fine.

BTW, rumour is that a 15" MacBook Air is on the way.

I've just had to do an insurance quote for a MBP - if the Air is as expensive for parts just hope you don't dent it or crack or scratch the screen.

They had the 1.8GHz with the 80GB SSD on the refurb store last week - £950. Was waiting till this week to buy, and now it's gone. Was concerned at the built-in battery (usually run my laptop from the mains as it lives on the sofa...).

In the end, went for a Dell XPS M1330 with 2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM and 128MB SSD. £850, delivery in about 2 weeks.

(usually run my laptop from the mains as it lives on the sofa...).

Be careful doing that. It's about the easiest way of killing a battery - not using it. I'd suggest let the battery run down until Windows warns you it's low, then charge it up again at least once a week. An unused battery can die pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom