Machine polishers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotiman

Car
S204 C350 CDi; R171 200SLK; Lotus Evora 400; Lotus Exige V6
For cars obviously. The memsahib does the polishing in the house and a jolly fine job she makes of it too.;)

Anyhow I've treated myself to a dual action machine polisher which comes complete with 3 grades of Velcro backed foam pad for use with the 3 grades of polish supplied. Just one aspect of its use I'm not too clear about, so maybe somebody with experience of these wondrous machines can advise please. Does one wash and clean the pads after use every time the polisher is used or wait until they are looking proper grubby? There appears to be a brush supplied in the kit which they note as a 'Pad conditioning brush' and I assume is used to brush off the powdery polish residue when dry, but no further clue about cleaning the pads.

Looking forward to trying it out on the R107 tomorrow as I'm in the throes of getting that ready for the forthcoming touring season. She's booked in for a new soft top next week, so must get the old girl looking her best.:thumb:

Well if you have not used one before it can be a little scary,suggest you start on the rear bumper,there are so many ways to cut and polish a car that you will get loads of tips,you have a dual action polisher,and this is the favored tool on this site,but I had a small amount of damage to my car repaired and painted by a pro and he just used a powered grinder with variable speed settings.

First off, get yourself some 3M blue masking tape 25mm for all shut lines, edges, washer jets etc before you take the DA to any panel. I'd also recommend giving the car a wash then clay before the DA.

Start with the finest compound on a slow speed, have a spray bottle of water handy as the cutting compound gets dry pretty quickly.

I normally wash my pads after use - but 40C wash and no conditioner. After a few washes the velcro came off, which is a bit of a PITA as the pads are not cheap. The other option, if you'll be using the same pad again soon, is to seal it in a plastic bag so it does not dry out.

Wash every time!

Also pads can get overloaded and clogged so if you are doing the whole car in one hit best to have some spare.

Thanks chaps. I'll see how we go tomorrow. Car is already pretty clean but I'll wash and dry in the morning, then start polishing.

Get a clay bar or clay mitt and do that after you wash the car and before you start paint correcting/polishing with the DA, and don't forget to 3M Blue the edges before using the DA!

Personnelly I would wash it then clay the car to remove all the contaminates from the paint before mopping it, asit would be a shame to have the mop pick up a bit of grit and scratch the hell out of your panel

I should have mentioned before that the paintwork is already very clean and was treated with a clay bar only a couple of weeks ago. It has sat in the garage since with a soft cover over it, and I'm not expecting any contamination to be apparent, so should just be able to crack on with a light wash and get whizzing with the polisher.

Well that was jolly good fun. :D Gave the 107 a quick rinse off before towelling it dryish and starting with the medium grade of the 3 compounds supplied. I did the car all over, having masked up the areas I didn't want the polish to touch, working the polisher back and forth then side to side (all on slow speed) as advised in the instructions.

I worked on each area for about a minute before reapplying another couple of spots of polish to the pad and moving on to the next bit. Once complete with that coat, I removed the polish with a soft cloth and already the results were looking pretty spectacular. I then moved on to the finishing grade of polish on the appropriate clean sponge pad and did the same before wiping that off with another soft cloth.

The result is an absolutely stunning looking deep gloss finish with no swirls or light scratch marks. I finished off with a good waxing and can declare myself an exceedingly happy chap. The results are just superb and well worth the effort of a few hours to achieve.

I did commit the schoolboy error (just the once) of spinning up the polisher after applying the small dobs of polish but before putting it on the cars paintwork, but well we all learn by our mistakes! :D

I have washed the two sponge pads used, although they only had some polish in them and weren't at all grubby looking which is probably due to the fact the car wasn't actually dirty to start with, having been recently clayed.

Right, now to start on all the other cars.

Remember the feeling well from when I did my 968 coupe. keep the wax topped up and you'll still be smiling in 12 months time!

Well done Sir!!

I bought one and used it once for less than five minutes. For sale in its case with all the bits. £50 bargain. Prefer collection from Kent. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

polisher

Hi there,

what make is it and i could arrange to get it picked up i think.

but i would like to purchase it please.

sal

There's already a queue - and AFAIK you're second right now!

Salb, I'm no longer head of the queue, so please PM Bruce. FYI it's a Powerstorm Pro polisher/sander.

Here you go. Still for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom