Machining Break Disks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not on a Mercedes.

Here are the spec for the O/p car.

Diameter...288
Thickness...25
Min Thickness...22
Height...47
Bore Diameter...67
Studs...5
Solid/Vented...vented

Just checked the ones for your old C124.

Diameter...284
Thickness...12
Min Thickness...10
Height...44
Bore Diameter...67
Studs...5
Solid/Vented...solid

Looks like proper brakes might have been a cost option...
biggrin.gif

And, as the disc should only be skimmed if it is is above the minimum thickness - usually around 0.5-0.6mm over the minimum - it seems that we are talking about a 'lip' of no more than around 2.5mm - a total for both sides of the disc (you can't just divide this by two - sometimes one side of the disc has a deeper 'lip' than the other).

Last edited:
The same method I've used for years, takes 5 minutes per disk and never had any problems, best to wear goggles though.

Russ

Just asking - why is it important to take off the 'lip'? I mean if it is not in the way of the new pads?

Why worry about the lips on your discs? They don't do anything apart from indicating that the disc is wearing as it should. So long as the thickness of the discs in contact with the pads are above the minimum, I would leave alone.

I recommend that you should find out what the minimum thickness of the disc is, add 50%, then change them with new when you reach this figure.

Just asking - why is it important to take off the 'lip'? I mean if it is not in the way of the new pads?

More MPG's, keeps the car as light as possible. :D

Russ

If you can find a garage that has a machine that bolts to the hub you will save the labour on removing the discs...only then would it make financial sense.

+1, and it will put your ABS light on, which in my case took ages to cure.:doh:

Incidentally, I did enquire about machining some years ago when the dealer told me I need new discs on my previous car, but they just said 'we don't do that any more Sir'.

I didn't think it was done anymore, but the owner of the little garage in our village proudly showed me his new disc skimming machine a couple of years ago.

I also read recently that apparently all Honda dealers are required to have the machines and they're skimming a lot of Jazz rear disks due to surface corrosion. My wife has a Jazz and the rear discs look terrible, despite the car getting daily use.

I also read recently that apparently all Honda dealers are required to have the machines and they're skimming a lot of Jazz rear disks due to surface corrosion. My wife has a Jazz and the rear discs look terrible, despite the car getting daily use.

Disconect the front brakes. That should keep the rears clear. ;)

Disconect the front brakes. That should keep the rears clear. ;)

...or - from time to time drive backwards fast and then brake hard :crazy:

EDIT
Ah - you beat me to it... :D

Get the Mrs to practice handbrake turns every so often.

Slightly OT - The Vaxuhall Omega has rear brakes comprising of discs and callipers on the outer side and a small drum and brake shoe on the inner side. The discs and callipers are used for normal braking, the drum and brake shoe for the parking brake (i.e. the parking brake does not operate the callipers, instead it operates the brake shoe inside the drum). The problem is the brakes - discs or drums - normally get 'cleaned' through the friction of regular usage, but with the parking brake there is no friction as the brake shoe is mostly static when applied. The owners manual actually recommends that from time to time the car is driven for a short distance at low speed with the parking brake partially applied, in order to 'clean' the inner surfaces of the drum.

Yeah, the misses' one had the same. We replaced them.

She's not braking hard enough. I told her to increase the speed and hard cornering / braking but she's having none of it.

I want to see feathering up the side of the tyres and if you've got a bit of wet weather and wheelspinning in mind, make it count.

It's pretty easy to scare her when I drive the Jazz so I can't see this being the end of the issue...

:D

I want to see feathering up the side of the tyres and if you've got a bit of wet weather and wheelspinning in mind, make it count.

:D

Like your approach...:thumb:

I didn't have any of that problem when Mrs Dm swapped into her current car. She took off and nearly got her bits in the back seat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom