Mad man in Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SumonesBungled

Car
None
My wife thinks I'm mad.

My son thinks I'm mad.

My daughter-in-law, well she's never short in pointing out some ones short comings. She thinks I'm mad.

My grandkids think I'm brilliant, or more to the point think my E240 is brilliant.

Hi, I'm rapidly approaching my 59th birthday and a left knee replacement. I've been driving a hot hatch for the past 8 years and for the past year driving it with gritted teeth as every little bump on it's stiff suspension and every press of the clutch on the M25 car park leaves me wincing in pain.

So I set about looking for an automatic, ok time to be honest I was for a Jag (S-type). Not having a great deal of cash I knew I'd be looking for the more 'mature' vehicle age-wise but I did want some power under the right foot and some comfort under my well padded backside.

Went to a dealer to see a 3 litre Jag to turn up as he was shaking hands on a deal. All he had was a 1996 E240 estate with nearly 140k on the clock £1500. I wasn't interested but he insisted on a test drive.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised ! but I didn't buy it. Instead I went home did some research and now I'm the owner of a 2001 E240 7-seater, full leather all the toys you could possibly want. 100k miles on the clock, full service history, years MoT and a history of no advisories since 2009, standard Mercedes surface rust on two wheel arches and a small amount on the tailgate door. £1,200

Who listens to the wife anyway !

welcome to the forum.

You're not mad, you're just getting older and wiser. :D

Love your intro, welcome! :)

Welcome fellow Sussexonian!

I tried a 3.0 S-Type at Caffyns Eastbourne in about 2003. I thought the engine worked hard at times and I really needed the 4.2 V8 version. Sadly, too rich for me so I came away with neither!

We'd all love to see a piccie!

Welcome...

I'm 66 years old and own a few thousand horsepower of Mercs that a man my age shouldn't own..:crazy:

Good luck with your first Merc !!

Ed A.

That's a fine first post - welcome to the madhouse :cool:.

Welcome to the world of rusty W210 wings and other things. My E200 flew through it's MoT yesterday despite a few characterful cosmetic 'issues'. :)

Brilliant choice - got to be better than a Jag!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom