Maf/gearbox Problem!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Voltman

Car
2012 E350 Avantgarde
Hi,
Hope somebody can help, had problem with car over last few weeks. The engine would not tick over when cold & would misfire until it warmed up. Took it to dealers for diagnosis but no faults listed apart from misfires. They quoted a few hundred pounds just to investigate further. After reading & searching many threads on here decided to change the MAF with a new one & problem solved. BUT! i now have a gearbox problem. As soon as i changed the MAF the gear changes are very harsh compared to before & certainly not as smooth. Any ideas as what could have gone wrong or any way to fix. Car is 1999 S320 petrol. Many thanks in advance.

I would try an ECU reset. Easiest way to do this is disconnect the battery for an hour or so. You'll know if it was long enough as the one-touch on the windows will need resetting.

This will clear the autobox ECU, and therefore the adaptive gearchange memory. Go out and drive like a funeral director until the box has been through each change 2 or 3 times. Then drive normally. You will get upshifts at low-ish revs for the next 2-3 times through each change.

If you still have a problem then I'd get the car checked for fault codes.

Thanks for the quick reply, i will try that tonight & post results.

Just to update, had the gearbox oil & filter changed and all is well. The difference the oil change has had is unbelievable, totally smooth from before. Why is this not a service item?

Because, according to Mercedes. "Our gearbox are sealed for life". Changing the gearbox oil should be done every 40/50k I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom