Magic leaves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
It's that time of year when contract gardeners blow huge quantities of leaves out of posh driveways onto the public highway and they magically disappear. It's quite a handy trick and saves them disposing of the leaves in a more appropriate manner. Trouble is they blow stones and any any other debris along with the leaves straight at me as I'm passing. Does anyone else take exception to this practice and can it possibly be legal to dump anything on a public highway in this manner ?

My apologies to any real Gardeners, these people can't have the necessary IQ to be a Gardener.

I don't doubt that it could happen but I've never experienced it.

It's that time of year when contract gardeners blow huge quantities of leaves out of posh driveways onto the public highway and they magically disappear. It's quite a handy trick and saves them disposing of the leaves in a more appropriate manner. Trouble is they blow stones and any any other debris along with the leaves straight at me as I'm passing. Does anyone else take exception to this practice and can it possibly be legal to dump anything on a public highway in this manner ?

My apologies to any real Gardeners, these people can't have the necessary IQ to be a Gardener.

The age of the NIMBY and NIMFY. I suppose their defence in court could be they were just blowing leaves away that were blown their way by somebody else - like god for example. :rolleyes:

Personally, I love the leaves and when they blow into the house on to the wooden floors I leave them for a while. What is all this preoccupation with neatness anyway? (Filthy minds walking on clean floors?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well mother nature was doing a fine job yesterday on the A14 it was like driving through a blizzard of falling leaves,I had to drop my speed from 90 to 70 lol when I got to my destination I had to peel the leaves out of the bottom grill,and one had managed to stick itself on the star

Would you like vinegar with your chip?

I spend all my time picking them out of the drains at the base of the windscreen on our cars. Bloody things.

The undertray of our S203 has load of them in there ... can't see any way to get them out, short of taking the tray off?

LOL! Is there anything people on this forum won't complain about! It's laughable the levels of pedantry to which posters go to find a reason to moan!

Cliched I know but 'get a life' is the most appropriate response here :D

LOL! Is there anything people on this forum won't complain about! It's laughable the levels of pedantry to which posters go to find a reason to moan!

Oh no CB, you are missing a trick, surely the best response is 'start a petition'?

You're losing your touch...I agree with you here.:p

You've just provided evidence for the prosecution.

I spend all my time picking them out of the drains at the base of the windscreen on our cars. Bloody things.

The undertray of our S203 has load of them in there ... can't see any way to get them out, short of taking the tray off?

Pressure washer ?

I've never understood the purpose of a blow :dk:.

A suck maybe, but not a blow.

As a proprietor of a contract gardening company, please don't tar everyone with the same brush. If one of my staff ever did that they would get a right b0llocking.
The IQ comment is completely crass. Two of my guys have professional qualifications.
These are the same people who will be out in all weather conditions doing their jobs no matter what.......
What I actually find is that it tends to be private individuals who are more guilty than the guys getting paid. Two of my neighbours were caught out doing it this week.

I've never understood the purpose of a blow :dk:.

A suck maybe, but not a blow.

You're off on a tangent already aren't you... :D

This has to be a first - getting "God" and "Blowing" in the same post - nice one Patagonian!

Is there no ground we cannot grace with this forum.

You're off on a tangent already aren't you... :D

It might seem that way :D but actually I don't get these leaf blowers - they just scatter leaves so that they become someone else's problem.

A leaf vac - now that's a far better idea.

Not true at all John.
Blow leaves into a nice neat pile quickly, istead of spending eight times as long raking them up.
Bag them up.
Done.

Leaf vacuums are rubbish. They pick up anything and everything like gravel/soil/stones/tin cans and the likes, according to my man at the factory they cannot keep up with demand for replacement impellors due to wear from said gravel/sand etc.

Not true at all John.
Blow leaves into a nice neat pile quickly, istead of spending eight times as long raking them up.
Bag them up.
Done.

You might, I might, but those I see when out walking the dog just do as the OP says - straight off their property into the road :devil:.

As a proprietor of a contract gardening company, please don't tar everyone with the same brush. If one of my staff ever did that they would get a right b0llocking.
The IQ comment is completely crass. Two of my guys have professional qualifications.
These are the same people who will be out in all weather conditions doing their jobs no matter what.......
What I actually find is that it tends to be private individuals who are more guilty than the guys getting paid. Two of my neighbours were caught out doing it this week.

No offence was intended to real Gardeners who as you have pointed out wouldn't do it. There are cowboys in every profession and I do see someone doing this on a regular basis. There are either several of them or the same guy is doing it at different properties which is quite likely and it's definitely not the home owners.

Of course I realise there are lots of leaves about at this time of year but blowing additional large amounts out on to a busy highway as vehicles are passing is creating an unnecessary hazard especially to cyclists and motorcyclists. It's just not something that I consider an acceptable practice and I struggle to come to terms with how a person could think it was acceptable unless they just don't think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom