Magical Disappearing Screenwash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Finally found a fault with the C240! Filled up the screenwash (full 5 litres) till it was brimming on Thursday last week. Used two tiny squirts over the weekend, but mostly car was stationary not in use. Imagine my surprise this evening when i fired her up and the low screenwash light was on!

I thought, must be a dodgy sensor then. When i got home, i popped the bonnet, and low and behold the damned tank was empty :mad:

I notice there is no type of O ring or seal on either the cap or the tank. COuld somebody with a W202 check for me if theirs has one?

This would be the simple solution, it just having evaporated away. DOn't fancy having to trace the whole system for a leak :devil:

...there's also a little rubber bung at the bottom which can perish (which is waht happened to me) easily replaced...
Les

Remember a similar thing on the last BMW I had, turns out the bottom of the tank was split, repaired it with silicone sealant.

The ML had a leaking washer bottle recently too- told the dealer when it was in for service & it was replaced under warranty as the car is not quite 3 years old.

sorry to bring up an old thread. My c class sensor stays on even though the its full of water. what can I check on it. thanks

Shala

If you unplug the sensor it should make the light on the dash go out.

Another less obvious cause for loss of screenwash is a leak from the headlamp washer units. The seal can perish but is hidden from view until further investigation.
Had me scratching my head for a while that did. :eek:

sorry to bring up an old thread. My c class sensor stays on even though the its full of water. what can I check on it. thanks
Shala

I'm not sure of the age your C-class but on a 1990's W124 the washer bottle contains a sensor in the lid. It's basically just a plastic tube with a float inside that touches a contact to illuminate the dash light when the water level falls. If you remove the lid you can then remove the sensor and clean the tube to ensure that the float is free to move.

Had the same problem on my ML last year traced it to faulty Headlamp washer jet on nearside .Was a pain in the ars+ to find. Worth looking for if you have them fitted
Cheers
Donny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom