Maglite 4 D cell - LED or traditional

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
As title suggests - which is best - the new LED or tradtional bulbs?

Thanks

Marc

LED is far better. Depending on the use LED headtirches are great. You can work hands free with the light where you want it. I use mine for running at night too!

Agreed, LED light is definitely the better of the two. But... I got an LED replacement kit for my 2AA maglite, and the LED does not allow the beam adjustment which you usually get with Maglites - i.e. twist a little to get a narrower or wider beam...

Do original Maglite LEDs allow beam adjustment?

Thanks,
Eddie

The police LED torches have beam adjustment, about 22 quid afaicr

Agreed, LED light is definitely the better of the two. But... I got an LED replacement kit for my 2AA maglite, and the LED does not allow the beam adjustment which you usually get with Maglites - i.e. twist a little to get a narrower or wider beam...

Do original Maglite LEDs allow beam adjustment?

Thanks,
Eddie

Agreed regarding the AAs, however the D cell adjustment still works (aftermarket) - by the way these things are dirt cheap in the states, picked up AA torch plus LED mod for less than £10, that was before stirling plunged of course. Plus the batteries last substantially longer.

Mike

ive got a maglite 6D cell one at home, had to take it out the boot of the car as i was told it could be classed as a weapon!

I’ve got a 4d maglite in the car with the original maglite 3w led conversion & a 6d maglite with a terralux 300m conversion for next to the bed.:devil:
The 6d with the terralux has to be the brightest & best torch I have ever owned. Only downside is no beam focus but it’s so bright it would be useless anyway.:cool:
http://www.terraluxcorp.com/products/index.php

I'm safe there, my wife would splinter herself if she had one of those!!

If you happen to go, or know someone going to the US, ask them to pick up one (or some) of these. Surefire, whilst not cheap, make the best LED torches I've found. I daily carry, and use a E1L. They are standard FBI issue, as well as many police forces over there. Lots of the militery purchase them as well, although I don't think it's standard issue kit.

You can pick them up for about 75% retail via ebay. UK prices are silly. There is some great USA-cheese under the True Stories section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom