Magnet in a 722.6 Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

I have bought a magnet for the sump of my 1998 210 auto box. Does anyone know is there a particular spot in the gearbox sump pan for placing it??

Thanks,

It can be placed anywhere.

Not all of them have it too.

B27115000009.1021.gif

Hi

I have the EPC and have looked at the pic but the magnet they sent me is just like a big washer and wondered where to put it incase there was somewhere in the sump that the washer fitted over.

I will place it in the general location as shown on EPC.

Was wary of it affecting the operation of valves and the like in there just.

Thanks,

In an automatic I don't think a magnet is that important.My car didn't have one nor did my previous BMW. Clutch plate material settles out and sits in the bottom of the pan and any metal particles are caught by the filter in the feed pick-up pipe.

adam

Hi

I have bought a magnet for the sump of my 1998 210 auto box. Does anyone know is there a particular spot in the gearbox sump pan for placing it??

Thanks,

Mine was fitted near the drainplug. A point worth noteing, you do not need to remove the sump to do this. Attaching the magnet on the outside of the pan still works, providing the magnet is strong enough. An added advantage of this is, when your doing an oil drain, pull the magnet off as the oil in draining, and any metal particles will be released, and be drained out wth the oil. (In theory)

Out of curiosity, I tried this with the sump off and it still held a 10mm bolt in place. Obviously, there was less magnatism through the tinplate, but was still very effective and will catch any metal particles.

Used this method in the past, when people accidently dropped things like tappet nuts and washers into the block and we would try and get them out of sump drain plug. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom