Magnetite black 183 paint colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wild1

Car
Mercedes C200 Estate / Mercedes E250
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a dilemma I have, Last Friday 1 week ago whilst parked at a junction some idiot came around the corner on the wrong side of the road and wacked my car front Drivers side. Now then the other guy was at fault and the insurance will pay for the repair.
My car is gloss black not metallic, I want to respray the whole car whilst it is in for repair and the workshop will only spray a Mercedes, Mercedes approved colours so they say. On the colour chart that they showed me was my original colour gloss black and the only other black a metallic black called Magnetite black 183. On the chart it looks nice and looks black, however when I got home and googled the colour, the images I found looked like it looks grey. Can anyone shed some light on this colour for me?

Is it black or grey?

It looks really nice but does not look black.

The reason for my concern is the workshop said they would not be painting inside the door jams and the inside of the doors so I will not be happy if they don't match up.
What do you guys think?

Car workshops here in Malaysia are renowned for their efforts to cut corners and rip you off so I have to be sure before the work starts.

The car is a c200 estate UK model imported here to Malaysia 2001 model w203 number.

Magnetite black is nice but as a personal preference I would have obsidian black.

Thanks for the reply but is the Magnetite black, actually black? on the chart shown to me there was not a colour Obsidian Black.

See attached, magnetite black looks grey to me.
77e44e744efa442fd1409fba29071c2e.jpg
1d18febb30916c91c2312a6fae413d23.jpg

You could try cosmos black ?
b1b2172b56befb4d6fdcb90156106341.jpg

I test drove an S500 on a 2010 plate in this colour around a year ago.

My previous car was Tektite grey and I parked next to it to compare sizes.

Magnetite Black is definitely a proper black but in certain lights in can look like a very very dark grey, with a hint of blue, albeit nothing like Tektite.

I tried to convince myself I liked it but I didn't.

Now I actually I have a black car, it's Obsidian because for me, that is a "proper" black!

My car is magnetite black and is more a charcoal black. It actually looks very nice in my opinion. Just like in the picture above it sparkles when the sunlight hits it compared to the obsidiana colour.

Thanks a bunch guys you have helped a lot. I was worried it was in fact a grey but I have discovered it is in-fact a black, but borders a dark grey. I know it is not as black as Obsidian or the non metallic gloss blacks but it is still close to a black. I was worried that the workshop would try to cut corners because they said they would not paint inside the door jams and the inside of the doors. The car is a non metallic gloss black so this was a major concern that is would not match up. Now the workshop have confirmed that they will paint the insides to match. This a relief!!!!!
I appreciate that the actual colour preference is up the the individual and I do like black. All of our other cars are black but I wanted something that looked a little different with a sparkle in the sun. On the chart that the shop showed me, the magnetite black did just that. But as I said it was the matching of the outside to the inside that worried me but that is now settled "I hope".

Many thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I was out and about this morning doing various jobs that included signing up my daughter for pre-school (where did the years go?) and buying odds and ends that I needed for my bathroom project (where did the money go?). Included in my shopping list was a couple of 2.4m lengths of 38mm x 63mm studwork, I’m so pleased I paid for the folding rear seats option when I bought my car.

Anyway, talking of my car, when I parked up at home the sun was glistening off the bodywork despite me having driven a few hundred miles since the last clean. Here is the Magnetite Black in all its glory.

198BF922-6F8E-46A3-B497-A716FF114CA5.jpeg E9C701DA-11CF-4F8B-A52A-5C3540B91987.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom