Main Beam - Does anyone else do this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br0ke

Driving at night, I always dip my full beam before the car coming the other way is visible. If the car coming the other way doesn't do the same before I see them, and there is nothing behind them, then I switch my full beam on just as I pass them.

Not sure what you're asking. The first bit is common courtesy. If an oncoming car doesn't dip for me, I'll give them a brief main beam flash to remind them - but not a long blast that might disrupt their vision.

Not sure what you're asking. The first bit is common courtesy. If an oncoming car doesn't dip for me, I'll give them a brief main beam flash to remind them - but not a long blast that might disrupt their vision.

Me too, then if they don't respond I bi-xenon the f*ck out of them :D

Me too, then if they don't respond I bi-xenon the f*ck out of them :D

+1 (sort of - I use the max setting but bulbs are bog standard)

My W140 has a setting where you can focus the beam

Same here normally, but the car now has 'auto' main beam so does it's own thing. I was sceptical at first but it does work perfectly. So no need to dip for oncoming traffic anymore as the car does it.

What does annoy me are the minority of idiots that think the xenons and cornering lights are main beam. Had one flashing his lights, beeping and gesturing recently. He nearly ran into me as he was doing that much other than driving he veered towards me. :doh: Fortunately it's just the the one baloon so far since getting the car six weeks ago.

What does annoy me are the minority of idiots that think the xenons and cornering lights are main beam. Had one flashing his lights, beeping and gesturing recently.

Properly adjusted Xenons do not blind oncoming drivers. Don't assume that because they're on dip, you are in the right...they may need adjusting down (as did mine - now, never flashed!) :)

Because of xenon's very sharp cut-off it's also possible on-coming driver think you are flashing them as one's car responds to the road's dips and bumps. Cresting a hill or taking a left-hand bend can also flash/dazzle. Halogens also do this but as they are much less bright, it's not so noticeable.

Properly adjusted Xenons do not blind oncoming drivers. Don't assume that because they're on dip, you are in the right...they may need adjusting down (as did mine - now, never flashed!) :)

I've had them checked after this and they did not need to be adjusted. It's not happened since the muppet I referred to which was in first week of ownership.

Because of xenon's very sharp cut-off it's also possible on-coming driver think you are flashing them as one's car responds to the road's dips and bumps. Cresting a hill or taking a left-hand bend can also flash/dazzle. Halogens also do this but as they are much less bright, it's not so noticeable.

Main beam was not on at the time, just dip. I was driving downhill on a left hand bend and can only assume that the driver concerned thought I had main beam on when I did not because of his road position and possibly the operation of the cornering lights. His actions were pathetic whatever reason he felt he may have had. :dk: Flahs lights - yes, but flash lights whilst leaning on the horn and losing that much concentration you veer towards oncoming traffic ..... :crazy:

Sorry Kingy68, I meant all that whilst on dipped beam, on mains you will burn retina with xenons!!

In your incident I think the driver meant to swerve toward you as additional attention seeking manoeuvre! I've seen similar myself, to a car two in front of me who did have his main beam on. Stupid manoeuvre as both the car in front and I had to swerve left, natural reactions...

Sorry Kingy68, I meant all that whilst on dipped beam, on mains you will burn retina with xenons!!

Ahh, right. No worries, and lol @ burnt retinas. :thumb:

In your incident I think the driver meant to swerve toward you as additional attention seeking manoeuvre! I've seen similar myself, to a car two in front of me who did have his main beam on. Stupid manoeuvre as both the car in front and I had to swerve left, natural reactions...

You are probably right mate. I'd like to think not, but it really wouldn't surprise me.
With hindsight the funny thing was - it was my first night out in the car after buying it. I went to give the other driver a flick of the main beams to show I was on dip and flicked the cruise control on! :wallbash: :D

I will give a flash as a reminder , but won't resort to blinding someone which could be dangerous .

99.99% of the time , people will dip if flashed breifly .

The ones who don't may have a fault with their lighting and be unable to dip .

I had an Alfa in the 80s and remember driving down the M6 late on a very wet might. Water got into a relay and I was flashing my way down the overtaking lane. Got to a services and a kind AA man allowed me a squirt of WD40 on to the relay...solved. So, it can happen.

I've had them checked after this and they did not need to be adjusted. It's not happened since the muppet I referred to which was in first week of ownership... :crazy:

One of the good things about xenons is that because the beam is so clearly defined (on a dark night, even better), you can see exactly where it is shining. If, when dipped, it cuts across an oncoming cars headlights and lower bonnet, you are OK. If it bounces up on to the oncoming car's windscreen, the problem is yours!

One of the good things about xenons is that because the beam is so clearly defined (on a dark night, even better), you can see exactly where it is shining. If, when dipped, it cuts across an oncoming cars headlights and lower bonnet, you are OK. If it bounces up on to the oncoming car's windscreen, the problem is yours!

In laymans terms on a flat road the lights are bonnet (front) lower boot (rear) level. Nowhere near windscreens. Sadly I cant alter the laws of physics when I'm driving down a hill though! ;)

If the beam is as high as an oncoming cars bonnet they are set too high.

Depends how far away? Mine are set almost horizontal, the offside is slightly lower than the nearside (with it's pavement kick-up). Beams set by MB and I've not been flashed, except in the odd occasions as I mentioned above.

I've been dazzled far more by poorly maintained halogens and especially those with HiD fitted. Easily identified by the complete lack of a defined cut-off :mad:

If the beam is as high as an oncoming cars bonnet they are set too high.

Then my description is incorrect. Since my interaction with the muppet I mentioned I've had the lights checked (they are fine) and have driven the same stretch of road numerous times in the dark with oncoming traffic and no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom