Main Beam Messages...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
Picture the scene....

I'm facing up a slight incline, waiting to turn right off a main(ish) road onto a side street. Handbrake on, van in neutral, indicator on. I left enough room on my nearside to allow cars pass, two or three passed through. A long line of traffic was approaching in the opposite direction as I waited for a safe gap to enter the sidestreet. A BMW, who was leading the traffic, flashed his lights to let me in. I wasn't expecting to be let in, so quickly found 1st gear a started to move off. I thought something wasn't right (BMW never slowed down much and the driver wasn't looking at the road ahead) and stopped about 1 foot over the white line. The driver then waved to the 1st car to pass on my neareside. He wasn't letting me in, but attracting the attention of his friend. Lucky I stopped, but I'm guessing I would have been at fault if there had been a collision?
The driver then done a very exaggerated swerve to avoid me (a foot onto his side of the road) whilst saying something like ' I say young man, you seem to have strayed onto my side of the road'.
Are there any rules regarding flashing of high beam lights to communicate with other roadusers?

Last edited:
As far as the Highway code it is simply "a warning to alert other roadusers to your presence".

Although we all know that many people use it to allow you through or to go first, just have to be very careful!

According to my 1999 version of the highway code, the rules for Flashing headlights is as follows;

FLASHING HEADLIGHTS. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

If another driver flashes his headlights never assume that it is a signal to go. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

PS.

I bought an up-to-date copy of the Highway code, brought it home and then threw it away, keeping my old copy by mistake.:doh:

Well he was "alerting another road user to his presence/letting another road user know he was there".

Personally I find every so often I find myself going to flash someone and then stopping because there is another car around that could misinterpet my signal.

Was chatting to my sister about this recently. Apparently, should you be in the opposite position (i.e. the BMW in this case) you should NEVER flash your lights as a signal for another vehicle to proceed.

This is because, should an accident happen to the other vehicle (that you have flashed), they can claim that it was you that gave them permission to proceed thereby releasing themselves from responsibility. My sister was told this by an advanced driving instructor and checked with a barrister.

Legally, you should not flash anyone as permission to proceed (or even indicate with a wave of the hand etc), simply wait and let them decide.

Edited to add, as has been stated, a flash of the lights is nothing more than a 'warning' to your presence, much like the horn.

Last edited:
This is because, should an accident happen to the other vehicle (that you have flashed), they can claim that it was you that gave them permission to proceed thereby releasing themselves from responsibility. My sister was told this by an advanced driving instructor and checked with a barrister.
You should not pull out unless it is safe to do so. No amount of flashing headlamps will make it any safer! They can claim that another driver gave them permissions but the code states that flashing headlamps can only be interpretted as "I'm here". I seriously doubt that anything could be pinned on the "flasher".

This reminds me of a thread from 2002 regarding one of the OGs of the forum (and a MIA moderator!): AAARRRRRGGGHHHH - why me?!?!??. Apologies for some of the formatting as this thread was imported from a previous version of the forum! :)

As others have already said, in the UK you should only flash your headlamps to alert another roaduser of your presence, i.e. it's the visual equivalent of sounding your horn. However... as has also been suggested, many people incorrectly believe that it means "I'm giving you right to cross my path" and that is what many people mistakenly act upon.

Be especially careful if another driver flashes their headlights at you in continental Europe. Over there it's not just a warning of their presence, it's an indication that "I'm coming through". A fact that many Brit's have found out to their cost :doh:

However... as has also been suggested, many people incorrectly believe that it means "I'm giving you right to cross my path" and that is what many people mistakenly act upon.

That's because 99 times out of a 100 the daylight use of flashed headlights by a car is used and understood to be an invitation to proceed :(

I can't remember the last time I saw headlights flashed as a warning.

I've seen and used the headlights to traffic on country lanes as 'trouble ahead' too....accident, breakdowns, horses, whatever. I think that's pretty useful tbh despite being outside the advice laid down in the Highway code.

I've seen and used the headlights to traffic on country lanes as 'trouble ahead' too....accident, breakdowns, horses, whatever. I think that's pretty useful tbh despite being outside the advice laid down in the Highway code.
Typically you get the flash from an oncoming car, think: "what's his problem?" then check your speedo and cluster for any warning lights or that your headlamps aren't on beam, check all your mirrors in case something is hanging off your car and then you turn a corner to see a tractor reversing a trailer out of a field and on to the road.

The "ahh!" moment usually happens about a mile down the road, well AFTER the hazard you were being warned about.:rolleyes:

That's because 99 times out of a 100 the daylight use of flashed headlights by a car is used and understood to be an invitation to proceed :(

I can't remember the last time I saw headlights flashed as a warning.

I would consider the flashed headlights an invitation to proceed only if backed up by another means, say by the other driver waving you through. Alternatively, if you're waiting to turn right and the oncoming driver slows right down then a flash of headlights could be read as an invitation to proceed, but if in doubt wait for a wave you on signal again.

Remember, a favourite ploy by some yobs is to slow down flash headlights, wave you through and as you turn in front of them ram into your car. Then claiming you cut in front of them causing thousands of pounds of damage to their 1994 Saxo and multiple injuries to all six passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom