Main Dealer - problems following service - advice requested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazo123

Yesterday I took my SLK350 (05) into a main MB dealership for a service. It has had disastrous consequences.

To cut a long story short, the dealership is trying to suggest that somehow, the coil for the drivers front right suspension broke, was disassembled and re-attached without the extra wrap-around part of the coil that fits inside a collar. The broken part of the coil was found in my boot. Now, I cleaned the boot out in the morning before taking it for a service and there was no spring in it then. Further, this is the first service the car has had since I bought it 18 months ago from a different MB main dealer when it had just been serviced.

The only rational conclusion here is that they broke the suspension by either driving the car (unauthorised) or when performing some other part of the service.

To make matters worse, I am being told that the relevant part is not in the UK and it needs to be shipped from Germany which will take 5-10 business days. I leave on a 2000 mile driving holiday in 9 business days.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has on how I may solve this problem. In particular:

(1) Is anyone aware of any way to expedite the delivery of parts from Germany?
(2) Should I believe that there are no such parts (A1713211004) in the UK? Is there any way I can check?
(3) They are talking about putting the repair through under warranty. Is there any downside to me for this? As long as I don't pay I don't really care, I just really want the car back by the end of next week.
(4) I am being relatively friendly at the moment as, to be frank, they have me by the b.lls because I really need the car in 13 days/9 business days. Is this the best approach to achieve a result or should I complain to the highest power.....!
(5) Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

That part number is the front spring and is listed at £53.71p.

Why dont you phone the order number at Inchcape web site.

It is a national Merc main dealer and they are very helpful and will give you the lead time.

Say vehicle is off road.

I think this is a total disgrace. If you are 100% certain of your claims I would forgo the part and have the MB Manager at your beck and call investigating your claim. Its your statutory right.

Good Luck.

I seem to have missed Inchcape for today, but thanks a lot for your help everyone. Will be calling them first thing in the morning!

Not too long ago I had a car snap a spring on road test. It does happen.

Not too long ago I had a car snap a spring on road test. It does happen.

that would be fine to explain - presumably they do road test the cars - but to tell lies is unbelievable - get the car fixed and never ever go back would be my advice.

Broken road springs is an everyday occurence at all Merc garages.
It amazes me how some people on these forums are so quick to start jumping on the negativity bandwagon. "Telling lies" and "It's your statutory right" and "Total disgrace" blah, blah, blah.
Have you considered that they might actually just be doing what you're paying them to do; that is perform a competent and thorough examination of your car and advise you of any defect that might cause you problems on your impending journey?
Sounds like good service to me.
"It wasn't like that when I drove it in" must be the most common accusation that garages hear, but it nearly always was, it's just that you didn't notice it.

Broken road springs is an everyday occurence at all Merc garages.
It amazes me how some people on these forums are so quick to start jumping on the negativity bandwagon. "Telling lies" and "It's your statutory right" and "Total disgrace" blah, blah, blah.
Have you considered that they might actually just be doing what you're paying them to do; that is perform a competent and thorough examination of your car and advise you of any defect that might cause you problems on your impending journey?
Sounds like good service to me.
"It wasn't like that when I drove it in" must be the most common accusation that garages hear, but it nearly always was, it's just that you didn't notice it.

I think many of these type of problems arise due to big garage internal management practices. In many organisations there is a "blame culture" going on.:( The result of this that employees are reluctant to own up to their mistakes for fear of a reprimand or worse!:eek: The problem with this "kick ass" management is that damage or faults are often concealed and only emerge later. Finding out what really happened is then much more difficult and leads to suspicion all round between workshop, service management and customer.:devil: In this case things seem to conducted correctly and the poster is getting his car repaired under warranty.:thumb: Perhaps things could have been improved if the car owner had been re-assured by the service team this was quite a common occurrence, but that would perhaps mean admitting to a known component quality issue--------and that's something else again !:doh:

Wouldn't mobilo supply a courtesy car?

Maybe not as the car was not towed in by them but then the dealer would surely?

Wouldn't mobilo supply a courtesy car?

Maybe not as the car was not towed in by them but then the dealer would surely?

If Mobilo is valid. Depends on servicing and so forth. Worth exploring though.

It seems to me that this is a bit of a storm in a teacup......springs do break, garages should take a car for a test drive following a service to make sure all is ok (hence are "authorized" to drive the car) and the garage seems to be offering to do the repair under warranty, hence no cost to you.

Their regular suppler may not have the spring in stock and it may need to be delivered from Germany....howver, if it is available from Inchcape point this out to the garage and either they or you can order it from them.

It seems to me that the garage is being reasonable in offering to sort this out for you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom