Main Dealer refuses to take credit card payment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found the 'disgraceful' comment a little inflammatory and the reference to a 'long silent pause' makes me think of difficult people.

Other than that I can see why you would be be disappointed.

Glad the OP found another car at a dealer who will accept a cc for the full payment.

Personally i would have negotiated a discount equivalent to the cc charge the retailer incurs and then paid by BACS or debit card. Assuming, for illustrative purposes, the car is £20k and the cc charge to the retailer is 2%, I’d be asking for at least £400 off.

But the OP is happy so all is well that ends well.

I have never asked because I have never come across this before which does not seem to be understood, but the ridicule and lack of understanding goes on.

You haven't been ridiculed.

You have been questioned. And people haven't jumped in to affirm your position.

Not a very friendly forum.

You're failing to get what you perhaps expected from your first post.

People are being honest with you.

That doesn't make it unfriendly.

But .....

When we arrived home last week, we found plenty more suitable SL350's, I test drove one and left a cc deposit of £500, with your comments in mind earlier I just rang the dealership and asked if they would take the outstanding balance also on my cc and they replied:
"yes of course, what's the problem" we collect the car this week.

So problem solved.

No more fuss.

Stick around.

Sorry Will, but I threw my Amex card away years ago because no one would take it, perhaps there is a difference across the UK depending on where you are.

No its not my loss, this is not the only SL350 for sale, what have I lost?

I had my £500 returned, nothing to it.

What I find amusing is that I share an incident with the members of this forum and many of the replies are of ridicule, suspicion, alleged ulterior motive, not really wanting to buy the car, air miles, cash back, etc etc and misunderstanding, I expected something a little better from a Mercedes forum, perhaps that is another schoolboy mistake on my part, or perhaps I am just out of my depth here through being a little naive, nothing more than that.

However, with so much ridicule aimed at me, I took up the comment regarding:
"Can’t see why you’d not spend 20 seconds asking before travelling 160 miles with only a credit card for payment " but let me say first-

When we arrived home last week, we found plenty more suitable SL350's, I test drove one and left a cc deposit of £500, with your comments in mind earlier I just rang the dealership and asked if they would take the outstanding balance also on my cc and they replied:
"yes of course, what's the problem" we collect the car this week.

I have never asked because I have never come across this before which does not seem to be understood, but the ridicule and lack of understanding goes on.

Not a very friendly forum.
It’s not my intention to ridicule, just surprised that you’re looking for sympathy or support when it appears you made an assumption that didn’t work out and tried to imply the dealer had been ‘disgraceful’

The comments regarding disbelief and bewilderment etc perhaps just naivety on your part. I accept that they perhaps could have mentioned that they didn’t accept £18k payments via credit card, but then it’s not how most people usually pay for their cars either.

Bearing in mind that the car ‘had everything we hoped for, would want and more’ why wouldn’t you find an alternative means for payment after going to such trouble?

I’d be kicking myself!

When I say ‘your loss’ I mean your time you put into looking for the car, doing your checks, arranging insurance, travelling to and from the dealer (you say yourself that you’re out of pocket due to the cost of insurance?) - plus fuel costs of course?

I normally use my AMEX card wherever I can as they give me cashback on purchases, but I’d be amazed if anyone would let me pay £18k for a car and swallow the fees. If they would take CC I’d ask for a small discount then just pay cash (bank transfer etc) instead ;)

It’s not regional thing, Tesco/Sainsbury’s/M&S, Shell/BP/Esso etc all take Amex, as do DVLA for vehicle tax payments, even my insurance company take it for the premiums, most restaurants/pubs/travel etc - I only use it to collect cashback in general.

You still haven’t mentioned why you would *only* pay via credit card btw? Considering that’s all this thread is really about I’ll admit that I’m confused (hence the guesses we have all made as to why!) :)

Glad you’ve found a suitable replacement vehicle. But maybe a learning curve for next time - always wise to check first.

This is a friendly and very helpful forum. Best of luck with the new car :cool:

I tried my luck by offering my Amex years ago to pay for a new Jaguar S type, was hoping to gain £650 cash back but my bubble was soon burst. So I resigned myself to transferring the funds to the dealership, I made sure I had more than 1 way of paying.

If you did not have £18k immediately available elsewhere why not take advantage of their finance, would have been a lot less than credit card interest and could be settled early. You may have even got a further discount by doing so.

Amex are accepted in more places these days, in fact when I signed up for a company card to get air miles Amex called me and asked if we had any suppliers we would like to use the card for, I gave them a list and they rang each of them individually to try and persuade them to take the card. I then received a call back from Amex reporting who said yes and who no, was really impressed can you imagine Barclaycard or Diners doing that!

I do know that many places also do not accept it, I gave the card to my wife to do the Xmas shopping, saved me a fortune [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me but it seems a little strange to vent on a Mercedes forum about "disgraceful" behaviour by a Subaru garage?!

No, its not just you there are also several others.

Let me try to spell it out for the children

I wanted to buy a Mercedes SL350 c2011

I wanted to pay by cc because it is convenient.

We were not advised by the dealer that they would take a deposit on a cc but not for the remainder, prior to leaving for Chard.

My thread is not a vent, I have already said that I was sharing this incident with the members of this forum, there was no ulterior motive regardless what the cynics think.

Our thoughts of "Disgraceful" was based on the lack of fiduciary care (which many have mentioned on another thread) which should have been forthcoming from the dealer.

I mentioned the Mercedes in question because it was the Mercedes I was referring to.

I never said it was a Subaru garage.

Posting on a Mercedes forum I would have thought the IQ would have been at least bit higher than it is and not mirror the stupidity and lack of grasp and attention which can be found on the lesser moronic motorbike forums, this is my last visit to this forum for that reason.

Let me put one thing to you before I go regarding the high handed know it alls and their comments relating to ''asking a dealer how they would want the balance'',
had you thought that by doing this the dealer is now in control of your money and taken away how YOU want to pay before you have even bought the car, hope this is simple enough for you to understand.

I will say this one more time for the vacant headed:
In all my years I have never been refused payment by cc when I want to pay that way, on average I buy a new bike and a car every year, I have 4 cars and 4 bikes which includes an SP and two top of the range Harley-Davidsons and paid with cc in full for each and every one of them with no problem.

Never in the history of my frequenting forums have I heard so much gibberish in such a short time by so many.

No, its not just you there are also several others.

Let me try to spell it out for the children

I wanted to buy a Mercedes SL350 c2011

I wanted to pay by cc because it is convenient.

We were not advised by the dealer that they would take a deposit on a cc but not for the remainder, prior to leaving for Chard.

My thread is not a vent, I have already said that I was sharing this incident with the members of this forum, there was no ulterior motive regardless what the cynics think.

Our thoughts of "Disgraceful" was based on the lack of fiduciary care (which many have mentioned on another thread) which should have been forthcoming from the dealer.

I mentioned the Mercedes in question because it was the Mercedes I was referring to.

I never said it was a Subaru garage.

Posting on a Mercedes forum I would have thought the IQ would have been at least bit higher than it is and not mirror the stupidity and lack of grasp and attention which can be found on the lesser moronic motorbike forums, this is my last visit to this forum for that reason.

Let me put one thing to you before I go regarding the high handed know it alls and their comments relating to ''asking a dealer how they would want the balance'',
had you thought that by doing this the dealer is now in control of your money and taken away how YOU want to pay before you have even bought the car, hope this is simple enough for you to understand.

In all my years I have never been refused payment by cc when I want to pay that way, on average I buy a new bike and a car every year, I have 4 cars and 4 bikes which includes an SP and two top of the range Harley-Davidsons and paid with cc in full for each and every one of them with no problem.

Never in the history of my frequenting forums have I heard so much gibberish in such a short time by so many.
Flounce.

[QUOTE="slic350, post: 2759487, member: 146011

In all my years I have never been refused payment by cc when I want to pay that way, on average I buy a new bike and a car every year, I have 4 cars and 4 bikes which includes an SP and two top of the range Harley-Davidsons and paid with cc in full for each and every one of them

.[/QUOTE]

What fantastic willy waving!

Oh and let me put it to you...if you are using your credit card to pay in full, you are overpaying.

The dealer owes you no fiduciary duty - until you sign a contract. I will concede that, arguably they are looking after your best interests by not allowing you to rack up £18k of debt at a high interest rate....

How on earth does clarifying how to settle the balance put the dealer in control of your money or how to pay?...They are already “in control” because THEY decide how to take payment

Enjoy your new car - i doubt your self important “i own a MB so i expect better treatment” attitude will be missed.

Don’t forget to wave at us children from your loft perch...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is to do with credit card processing fees any dealer incurs.
No one is allowed to charge surcharges anymore so simply don't accept card payment for large transactions.
2% of 18K would wipe out a large proportion of any profit.

We work the other way, we incentivise bank transfer by offering free fuel to the value of 0.5%.
We are still accepting cards.. For now but may make a call on it some point as we are paying a massive amount out on processing fees at present.

It's even worse for us now that they charge us a % for debit card processing. It used to be a flat fee of next to nothing to accept a debit card.

When I bought my Sl the dealer wouldn't take credit OR debit card as payment because of the fees, only bank transfer. Took me an extra 3 seconds to do it from my banking app! I was shocked! That's 3 seconds I'll never get back, I almost walked out in disgust.....

It's even worse for us now that they charge us a % for debit card processing. It used to be a flat fee of next to nothing to accept a debit card.
When did that start, Jay?

In all my years I have never been refused payment by cc.

Well, you have now, sunshine. Live and learn, eh....

Perhaps you should have posted on a Subaru forum, since your gripe is with a Subaru dealer. ;)

Ps I’m on a group with other car dealers.. this topic comes up regularly and most dealers do not accept card any longer for anything other than a deposit..
certainly not Amex!

I guess in fairness to the op, the dealer should really have mentioned they don’t accept balance by c/card if he paid the deposit by c/card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom