Main Dealer refuses to take credit card payment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has Nanny helped you pick up the toys and put them back in the pram yet?

The only person being both arrogant and ignorant here is you.

Your first post did raise a number of pertinent questions which you seemed to take a rather defensive attitude to, instead of accepting the discussion that then arose (all of the postings were in a friendly and constructive manner) you have chosen to argue and now ridicule long standing , helpful and intelligent members of a forum because there were a number of alternate views.

In any discussion there will be differing points raised, debated ,accepted or not. Frankly your petty and arrogant behaviour is something the forum does not need.

I do not need to read pompous, discourteous and childish rubbish from you so am adding you to my list of blocked members so nothing more you post will waste my bandwidth!
Someone has been rattled ey! Intelligent members? HAA

Get a life mate instead of making assumptions

Only repeating what he stated ...

Move along dear chap and let us children play..

Someone has been rattled ey! Intelligent members? HAA

Do not worry, I was not including you in that quote.

Just what we all need, a terribly brave (when hiding behind a keyboard) troll who has added nothing of value to the forum but sits and snipes from the sidelines.

Another one for the ignore list , you are not even worth trying to debate with as I am unsure if I know enough short words that your limited vocabulary would understand ;)

Just what we all need, a terribly brave (when hiding behind a keyboard) troll who has added nothing of value to the forum but sits and snipes from the sidelines.

Another one for the ignore list , you are not even worth trying to debate with as I am unsure if I know enough short words that your limited vocabulary would understand ;)
Ooof!

Bring your backside back out of your rear end chap

Maybe not the primary reason. I try to pay everything by credit card so that I can collect air miles, some do the same to collect cashback. As long as you pay the balance off every month its an easy way of making a bit of extra money.
As do I, but at the same time I can see why some businesses refuse to accept certain credit cards (AMEX etc), or credit cards at all - they simply do not want to pay for my cash-back and air miles, which is fair enough.

When I bought my current car from a large main dealer I paid via bank transfer two days before as the most they would take on a debit card was 2k.

I’ll be honest I was a bit paranoid android for 48 hours as it’s just my luck for them to go bust!

Got to give it to the OP - arrogant AF but eloquent at the same time. Enjoyed it. Please can you stay?

For reference and as of last month: up to £5k cash with Sytner group. Rest - cleared funds. Don’t own a credit card so didn’t bother asking but will try to remember for next time. In case I need an odd reason to walk away from purchase (with an added minute of blank stare of course).

To the Forum administration: can we follow a member on here if we’re on their blacklist? I simply cannot imagine missing any more of these epic sweeping blacklist declarations.

When I bought my current car from a large main dealer I paid via bank transfer two days before as the most they would take on a debit card was 2k.

I’ll be honest I was a bit paranoid android for 48 hours as it’s just my luck for them to go bust!
The new charging structure that the card processors have introduced whereby debit cards are unattractive for a retailer on a large transaction clearly disadvantage the consumer.

I have only once had to pay the full value of a car in advance of seeing it, and that was when I did Factory Collection on an E350CDI in 2011, as Mercedes-Benz wouldn’t release the car any other way. The chances of them going bust or the car being not right were close to non-existent, but I still felt nervous.

Would I willingly pay in full in advance for a used car prior to collection? No, because it puts a less scrupulous seller in a position of advantage that they would not otherwise have.

Increasingly, dealers don’t fully prepare a car for sale prior to actually selling it, whether that be refurbing damaged alloys, or servicing it or whatever. The purchaser will therefore often negotiate a deal based upon the seller undertaking certain actions prior to collection of the car, but there is a clear incentive for a less than honest seller to “forget” some or all of these things. At time of collection, the buyer has the opportunity to verify that the car has been prepared to the agreed standard, and if not to refuse to complete the transaction. However, if they have pre-paid the final balance they have lost all bargaining power and are at the mercy of the seller.

Unless and until bank transfers for large sums can be made instantly by the consumer, a debit card transaction remains the safest way for the consumer to complete a car purchase. By making this unattractive for the seller, the card processors have created a problem that should not exist.

Already covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad the OP found another car at a dealer who will accept a cc for the full payment.

Personally i would have negotiated a discount equivalent to the cc charge the retailer incurs and then paid by BACS or debit card. Assuming, for illustrative purposes, the car is £20k and the cc charge to the retailer is 2%, I’d be asking for at least £400 off.

But the OP is happy so all is well that ends well.

That is what I always did for big purchases - "I'm using my credit car or you can give me 2% discount for cash." Most places that could offered the discount!

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over this forum as their are quite a few sad old sods on here who are stuck in their old ways and seem to have their heads stuck very far up their own backsides.. IMO of course

Who on earth are you and have you anything useful to add to this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom