Main dealer service experience, including 'StarView'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
So the S203 (10 years old, 75k miles) was due for an A service. M-B Ascot is about a mile away but the cheapest option there (drop & go) was £320. M-B Guildford is further away but it was only £250 there; a £70 saving is worth a bit of inconvenience so I booked it in.

First surprise was a phone call from the service team leader at Guildford who said that as he lives about 100 yds from us he would pick it up and deliver it back FOC! :)

Next came a phone call to say they'd found a couple of things they suggested needed doing, and if I wanted to go ahead to call them back after watching the 'StarView' video they'd just emailed (this was new to me). The video covered the initial inspection with the car on the ramp, and showed in detail the perished rear brake flexi-hoses and castor control arm bushes. There was also a rusting hanger on the exhaust system ... they advised this was OK for now but said if it caused a problem in future they would fabricate a new one and weld it on rather than replacing that section of the exhaust!

I called back and authorised the fixes on the brakes and suspension, then later in the afternoon received another video showing the new parts fitted followed by a phone call to arrange payment for this (£280 ... slightly lower than the original quote). The car was then delivered back this evening washed and valeted.

I've used M-B Guildford for nearly 13 years with the SL and they've been consistently good with that; nice to get the same treatment with the C Class.

I have to say, I only used them twice for the promotional 'health checks' they do but on both occasions they've been really good.

In fact their parts department were also very helpful and competent too.

Thumbs up from me too :thumb:

They're now part of the 'Sandown Group' rather than Tony Purslow, but have retained all the TP automatic parts & labour discounts for older cars ... which is rather nice. Not sure whether the other Sandown dealerships (Basingstoke, Dorchester, Poole, Salisbury, Hindhead) do the same or if it's just Guildford.

They always seem genuinely pleased to see the SL, which is now 20 years old. In fact last time it was in I had a call from someone at the dealership who wanted to buy it!

I had the new CL health checked there and received a StarView video, very impressive and only have heard of good things from Purslow/Sandown.

Ive used them for years and recently collected a nearly new W205 from them.

They offer a great service and I highly recommend them.

As an aside, Greenoaks (Now Vertus) MB of Ascot charge £275 per hour labour! I think its outrageous but their workshop is always full! I guess the people of Ascot/Sunningdale are unconcerned about such trivial things:dk:

As an aside, Greenoaks (Now Vertus) MB of Ascot charge £275 per hour labour! I think its outrageous but their workshop is always full! I guess the people of Ascot/Sunningdale are unconcerned about such trivial things:dk:

Wow! - That's the highest rate I've ever heard of. I think ServiceCare has a lot to answer for here - sweeping generalisation but I imagine most of the cars in there are quite new so only need basic servicing. Or they'll be owned by leasing companies and they don't pay "rack" rates.

My local dealer (Inchcape Chester) only charged £250 for a B service last year - I just checked MyService and it's same today. Interestingly the A service is now £160 - last one I had they charged £190 and I had a heck of a job getting them down to that. Must be an Inchcape thing - I checked their Oxford branch and prices are same.

Having said that, last time they completely tore my car apart and presented a list of work which probably exceeded the car's value. Completely out of the blue, as it had had a recent health check and MOT there. They wouldn't discuss it either. All very weird. Car goes to an indie now and I feel altogether happier about using them.

Of course the site is actually closer to Bracknell, but Ascot sounds so much nicer! Ironically they're the only M-B car dealership I know of in the area that also services commercials (for which they do give a discount). They only started this fairly recently (a year or two) - I did assume it was because they had surplus workshop capacity.

I've taken the Vito there the last couple of times as it's within walking distance of the station I commute from, without any complaints. Previously we used Rossetts Commercials in Aldershot, who are first class but not very convenient for us.

Ive used them for years and recently collected a nearly new W205 from them.

They offer a great service and I highly recommend them.

Sounds crazy as you can book a 7+ service online at Mercedes-Benz Ascot, including 8.5L of 229.5 oil and filter suitable for an AMG M113 for £139 including VAT.

Take off the cost of the parts/consumables (even at a discounted rate) and that's a hell of a lot less than £275/hour.

I knew main dealers were circa £150+ an hour but astonished that they're now charging over £2k per day labour - makes solicitors and dentists seem cheap! :eek:

Glad you had a good experience of Guildford, shame I can't really say the same. Unfortunately it was the same service person on two occasion about a month apart that cocked it up and I will never return there. The other guys and the actual service were fine, but the attitude of one of the service agents was appalling to the point I emailed the head of Sandown service dept and he was very apologetic.

I bought my car from Guildford, but have been servicing my Mercedes at Sandown Basingstoke (Previously Tony Purslow as well) since 2003 - I found the service to be first class and was one of the reasons I chose Mercedes as a brand again.

Can't say the same for BMW service.

I recently bought my car (C63 W204) from Ascot and they were absolutely brilliant. I also opted for the Service plan, and my A service is due in 50 days according to the Service Assyst.

My question is as i haven't had any issues with Ascot - should i take my car to them or one of the other ones that you all have spoken off?

am very impressed with the StarView video service - wondering if Ascot would do the same?

Bruce Wayne said:
I recently bought my car (C63 W204) from Ascot and they were absolutely brilliant. I also opted for the Service plan, and my A service is due in 50 days according to the Service Assyst. My question is as i haven't had any issues with Ascot - should i take my car to them or one of the other ones that you all have spoken off? am very impressed with the StarView video service - wondering if Ascot would do the same?

The dealer should have serviced your C63 for £0.00

If your vehicle is due a service in the first 3,000 miles or 3 months of ownership (whichever comes first), we will happily cover the costs of the service.

Sounds crazy as you can book a 7+ service online at Mercedes-Benz Ascot, including 8.5L of 229.5 oil and filter suitable for an AMG M113 for £139 including VAT.

Take off the cost of the parts/consumables (even at a discounted rate) and that's a hell of a lot less than £275/hour.

I knew main dealers were circa £150+ an hour but astonished that they're now charging over £2k per day labour - makes solicitors and dentists seem cheap! :eek:

My figure of £275 per hour includes VAT and it came from the dealer themselves!

The cost of the oil is very very low for them as they buy in huge quantities at a rate from Mercedes Benz UK. The time spent on the car is probably only 30 minutes and they often do quote fixed price servicing as they know what to check/change and its all commodity stuff. If you went in and they found a fault which required additional work then im sure thats where the 'rate' would appear.

Personally I take all my cars to MB Guildford or if time is an issue I have Graham Marsh (Ex MB Guildford MAster Technician) come to the office and do the service here. He is mobile and his charges very very reasonable. Ive used Olly in the past too. Exceptional service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom