Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisdean

Car
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
If you were paying £25,000 for a 12 month old C Class is it worth the premium you'd pay at a Main Dealer? Any experiences of the service and back up that you get?

I've used car supermarkets twice.

You need to bear in mind that aftersales will be useless and that the cars that they sell will probably be ex hire or of a quality that the main dealer would not wish to retail themselves.

I was relatively happy with both of mine. The first had missed a service and the second had heavy swirling on the bonnet, neither bothered me greatly.

If you were paying £25,000 for a 12 month old C Class is it worth the premium you'd pay at a Main Dealer? Any experiences of the service and back up that you get?

Also, make sure it is a genuine good deal.
Some pretty big discounts on new C Classes at the moment, and if you are using finance you will find much better apr rates on new metal too, this can bring a new one in cheaper over the period than a year old one.

Example at coast2coastcars.com on a new one, delivered through a main dealer....

SALOON C200 AMG Line 4dr Auto £27,775.81

Nearly £6000 off list price.

From what I saw when looking for my 5 year old C class the big car supermarkets didn't have either the best prices or the cars in best condition. The best prices and better condition were to be had in the big retail chains like Arnold Clark. Prices were at least 10-15% below MB dealers.

I can see how an MB warranty would be tempting if the MB dealers had the reputation of upholding the warranty. I have no recent experience with them but from what I read it seems variable.

At that budget and age of car, you're probably as well staying in the dealer network or looking at brand new which, with good discounts, won't be that far off your figure.

At 12 months old the warranty is irrelevant as you still have 2 years Merc warranty anyway.

Just make sure you get Mercedes to send you a copy of the service history, to make sure your warranty is still there.

My experience of a main dealer (Listers).

I bought a C220 saloon for £19,000. I expected a first class service but what I didn't realise was that it was missing a service, which the dealer had glossed over. Also, there was some damage that wasn't spotted until the following service, which they would have spotted had they done the original service at the time of purchase.

I expect honesty and integrity when dealing with a main dealer, and they lied to me. Being told the car had a full service history when it didn't was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

The CLS I own was purchased from a independent dealer, and serviced by another independent dealer for a fraction of the cost of doing through a main dealer, and I am more than happy.

The CLS came with a years RAC warranty, but if I wanted a Mercedes One Year warranty, I can purchase one direct from Mercedes own warranty service without paying the dealer's heavy levy.

When I purchased the C220, I was offered the extended two year warranty for £1000, and told by the Business Manager that if I didn't take up their offer there and then, it would cost more later for the extended warranty. Needless to say, when my one year warranty ran out, I was offered the extended warranty for a mere £600, or a lesser warranty for £300.

So, for me, I am happy to steer clear of main dealers, and deal with smaller dealers, as long as they are not back street dealers. Having an accreditation such as RAC or AA approved helps, as it means that they have some sort of backing.

At that budget and age of car, you're probably as well staying in the dealer network or looking at brand new which, with good discounts, won't be that far off your figure.

Can't find anything to disagree with here.

At least you know that you'll have some back up.

There is no difference warranty wise buying privately, from a indi dealer or main dealer when the car is a year old.

Go with the best example at the best price, it really is that simple.

Have a look at MB Direct, or whatever it's called these days.

It's some years since I bought my car from the branch in Birmingham but I don't think prices have moved all much. Mine would have been £36K new list - I bought at 5mths old and it was up for £27K, I got it for £23,500.

Have a look at MB Direct, or whatever it's called these days.

It's some years since I bought my car from the branch in Birmingham but I don't think prices have moved all much. Mine would have been £36K new list - I bought at 5mths old and it was up for £27K, I got it for £23,500.

I bought a C class for the Mrs at Mercedes Direct Balsall Common in 2005, a young Irish feller called, I think, Aiden sold it to me.

Was a decent car and a keen deal, not sure if they still exist, last time I looked they were no cheaper than a dealer - maybe there was more room for negotiation from the screen price.

I bought a C class for the Mrs at Mercedes Direct Balsall Common in 2005, a young Irish feller called, I think, Aiden sold it to me.

Was a decent car and a keen deal, not sure if they still exist, last time I looked they were no cheaper than a dealer - maybe there was more room for negotiation from the screen price.

I don't think that one is there any more. I got mine from the more northerly Birmingham location, Erdington. After visiting "proper" MB dealers who didn't seem in slightest bit interesting in selling me a car, the more 'car supermarket' approach of the guy I dealt with at Erdington was welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom