Main dealers ... arghhh!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would prefer to remain somewhat anonymous if possible..

I cop the hump because I spend a lot of time and effort doing the best I can and giving people the MB experience they deserve.

It's frustrating that someone new to the brand or thinking of approaching a main dealer for the first time (which is a big deal to a lot of people) may be scared or even deterred to visit by the very strong negative comments on here.

I am far from new to the brand, had number of Mercedes before, currently own two.

My experience with the main dealers has been very mixed, to date, the only one I would still go back to is the one in Milton Keynes, only because the sales person went out her ways to help me in the past.

My local dealer in Stevenage I will not touch with the barge pole, and the next closest one in Hertford are doing themselves no favor either, following their lack of competence and string of lies during my last service done there.

Also, I cant understand why would you want to remain anonymous, if you are as good as you say you are, and you pay such effort in taking care of your customers, I would be the first one to have my cars serviced at your garage (if it is not too far from me).

I would prefer to remain somewhat anonymous if possible..

I cop the hump because I spend a lot of time and effort doing the best I can and giving people the MB experience they deserve.

Yes, but I was not criticising you or your work personally so why take it so and then get all flippant?

To me it's like you are accusing me of being over sensitive or even lying.

As said if it had been a one time or even two time occurence I would have let it go, but with the exception of one parts guy in one dealer it's the bloody norm or has been in my experience.

I know as the owner of an 8 year old banger of a Merc I am probably not the most lucrative of customers for any dealership, but it is a car I have spent a lot of money (for me) to get and I would like to feel just a little like it's OK to be happy with it and not have to be driving a 6 month old SLS to get good service!

The majority of posters on this thread represent about 0.00001% of people's feelings towards dealers, the other 99.9999% of people are simply enjoying their cars, enjoying maintaining their cars and enjoying the free coffee when they come in.

I agree with most of what you say about customers, but this ^^ is utter tosh.

In my experience, *most* dealerships are very sneaky when it comes to filling out customer surveys; they'll already have an idea how you'll fill it out based on your visit. If you've had an argument with the service manager (for example) then I will bet you ten grand that you don't get asked to rate their performance in a call afterwards.

Most of your problem with customers comes down to perception, people assume Mercedes to be a 'prestige' brand so they expect 'prestige' service.
The reality is they are now competing with those so-called 'lesser' marques and the margins are ever so tighter that a salesman simply can't spend three hours listening to some dude giving you his life story when he's looking at a car with very little margin in.

P.S. the Mercedes parts guys are always happy to help, wherever in the country I've dealt with them.

at the end of the day labour rates at the majority of the "stealers" are exorbitant - more so when the work isn't done properly or in some cases not at all - end of. Long live the decent Indies and all those that financially support this forum!

Last edited:
In my experience, *most* dealerships are very sneaky when it comes to filling out customer surveys; they'll already have an idea how you'll fill it out based on your visit. If you've had an argument with the service manager (for example) then I will bet you ten grand that you don't get asked to rate their performance in a call afterwards.

That actually happened to me. I got a phone call from the dealer reception asking how the service went, to which I said badly, with me having to finish the work in their carpark before the car could be driven away. (4 litres of coolant missing)

Oddly enough, no MB Customer care survey... LOL..

Some dealers may be poor, but I can't say anything against my local dealership (Coventry).

They always look after me, providing a loan car, collection/drop off service and an enduring discount on parts and servicing.

Last service I was offered 22% discount (oil and filter would cost about 105 from halfords) that worked out at £202. From that I was provided with a loan car for which there was no charge (they waived the 15 per day charge) and they change the high level brake light for just the cost of the part.

They told me to take the loan car for a long weekend and to enjoy it (probably want me to trade mine in!).

Another benefit of this is that I don't need to pay for breakdown cover thanks to mobilo life!

I've also had nothing but good service from Coventry. I do most business with Leicester as they are nearer. Both part of Inchcape group.

I get the impression that new car servicing is fine with the dealerships but when the parts bills mount up on older models then a good Indie may be the best way to go. Never had one more than 3 years old so can't speak from experience.

I have had very good service from MB Gatwick over the years but there was a definite step up in the quality and level of service when Lookers took over from HR Owen. It was as if the attitude changed almost overnight. Dont know about sales as our youngest car is now 8 years old but the parts and service departments are always very helpful. They do special labour rates for the older cars which go some way to matching the indies and are prepared to negotiate on price. They still service the 124.
I have had excellent service from PCS in Horndean aswell but time constraints mean I cannot use them as much as I might nowadays.
On a more international front Scotti Auto in Cascina (near Pisa) have proved equally helpful at very short notice. They are an approved MB service agent but do not sell new MBs.
Perhaps all this just means that I am easy to please

Before I became a Mercedes owner some 4 or 5 years ago I asked for peoples opinion about Lookers Eastbourne (my nearest main dealer) - I heard good things about them. Their service has always been impeccable. I am also lucky to live close enough to PCS in Horndean to be able to use them as well.

So a big
icon7.gif
icon14.gif
from me for my local main dealer and again
icon7.gif
icon14.gif
for a brilliant Indie.

I think if a main dealer is ran by inchape like mine in Nottingham then you can expect a very good all round service..

In general Mercedes could learn a lot from Honda are you for real . Why is it when anyone complains about Mercedes Benz dealerships it comes down to money boho they so much more expensive than Honda of course they are because they so much more better that why anybody would sooner drive a Mercedes than a honda so acepeted the fact you pay for quality in this world and stop beging a penny pincher ..

I think Honda engineers it's cars better than Mercedes for reliability and quality, I don't think modern Mercedes are much above average quality

Are you being serious ???

If you look at the reliability figures, Honda are above MB. MB used to make very high quality cars. Now I'm not so sure what they make. Seems to me their just another high volume huge range operation. Sure they still make some nice cars, but unlike previously, I don't believe the build integrity runs throughout their range.

If you look at the reliability figures, Honda are above MB. MB used to make very high quality cars. Now I'm not so sure what they make. Seems to me their just another high volume huge range operation. Sure they still make some nice cars, but unlike previously, I don't believe the build integrity runs throughout their range.

Probably the most sensible post on this thread.:thumb:

Absolutely, Mercedes make some very desirable cars indeed, but Honda make reliable ones.

To compare Honda engineering to Mercedes is laughable they are light years away ..And as for quality all Honda ranges are bland / boring to look at with horrid cheap / plastic interiors compareing them to Mercedes Is maddest

To compare Honda engineering to Mercedes is laughable

:doh:

When I hear blanket statements like that it reminds me why I'm always take what car salesmen say about anything with pinch of salt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom