Mains to 12v converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
Hi All,

Now that I have fitted a 12v socket in the boot of my 210 (still can't believe there wasn't one to start with!!), I can run my 12v cooler, and am very happy again.:)

I want to get a converter so I can run the cooler inside to 'pre-chill' it. No problem so far; £20-odd will get one from many camping places, or Halfords etc.

If I want to use it in France as well then it's going to have to run on 110v input.

Obviously I need to use the plug adapter to get from the French pin pattern to the UK pin pattern, but all of my other stuff, chargers and so forth, all just auto-sense the 110v input and this means I use the very simple adaptors that don't do any voltage change from 110v to 230v.

Do you think that one of these 230v to 12v mains converters will run straight off 110v and give 12v output, or will I need to get an adapter that turns 110v into 230v first?:confused:

That's what I was thinking! ;)

Will

me too. France ahve the same power as us . just a different plug

In which case, gents, I shall get my coat...:eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder all my other stuff works OK then.

I wonder why I got 110v in my head?

Anyway, thanks very much guys. Life just got simpler:)

nickmann said:
I wonder why I got 110v in my head?

Maybe you were thinking of that big ex-colony just below Quebec?

Or perhaps your electrical equipment is made in Taiwan and you thought it still had the original voltage?

Or you're the first forum member to be affected by the forthcoming heatwave? ;)

Now that rivals one of my most embarrasing moments nickmann ;)
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.
Mac.

nickmann said:

I wonder why I got 110v in my head

Too much work on the building sites, thats all 110v, as is the US, as DieselE points out, that little old colony, bearing a grudge after all these years over a little spilt tea:D

DieselE said:
Or you're the first forum member to be affected by the forthcoming heatwave? ;)

Well, it is pretty nice down here at the moment, and set to get even better. I'll test the heatwave for you, then send it over the Channel when I'm finished with it:) It's just as well my cooler will be working eh!

As with all hideously embarrassing moments, then trick is to smile, bow, and reverse towards the door whilst swearing through gritted teeth:rolleyes:

ahem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom